I'm going to be teaching bass starting this september, and I was wondering what I should teach to beginners, as in the first few lessons.

In short, what should i start teaching them with?
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Last edited by jimmypage27 at Aug 10, 2006,
Basic bass handling, a chord, maybe a scale?
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
the notes of the fretboard, then how those notes fit into scales/modes, along with picking/finger/fretting technique.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Any instructional books to start them with? When i started i was using fast track. ( Instructional book)
My Profile

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Yorkville XM200
Bass guitar for dummies is great.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Thanks. I was thinking teaching more about arpeggios than scales, since they're more commonly used in modern music than scales.
My Profile

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Yorkville XM200
yeah, but its good to know. if you want to be thorough, you could do chords, relevant scales/modes, and corresponding arpeggios. but if you want to do just basics then get back to it later, i'd reccoment just the major scale modes, then maybe some arpeggios and technique help
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Thanks. Since I'm going to be teaching beginners, I'll probably stick to the basics for a bit, but I suppose it all depends on the student.
My Profile

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Yorkville XM200
Bass for Beginners-The Complete Guide-Glenn Letsch

Comes with a CD as well.

It has stuff like, scales, beginning reading notation, notes of the fretboard, slapping and popping, circle of fifths. Pretty good.
firs tthing i'd teach the is the parts of the bass.
how to hold the bass
proper right hand technique
proper left hand technique
the names of the most common note (G, C, A, D)
then gradually go through the 12 bar blues. starting off very basic.

after ur get the 12 bar blues down, add shuffle. after that, startin teaching the scales and keys and stuff, and chords too. whole time explaining how arpeggios work.

u should be able to teach ur student some asic songs after the get proper right and left hand technique. but stay simple.
Thanks, lol thats almost an exact blueprint of my first 2 or 3 months of taking lessons.
My Profile

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Yorkville XM200
I would start they first lesson with the parts of the bass and about amplifiers. Then teach them the notes of the neck. Then how to read sheet music (I'm not really sure if you really need that because I never took lessons and I've never needed to know how to read it). Then start the songs with a bluesy song. Maybe teach them Brain Stew by Green Day because its really easy. Just a bunch of simple stuff.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
seriously if you want your student to enjoy the lesson and get into it teach like a really easy song with the proper left hand/right hand technique and teach them the notes your playing in the song, sure you need to know stuff like scales and that, but i have been there and i didnt enjoy it, but when i had a teacher that taught me REAL songs and the notes and stuff it was fun
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by jimmypage27
Thanks, lol thats almost an exact blueprint of my first 2 or 3 months of taking lessons.

well, it works right? students need the right foundation. learning songs and junks is great but if u can't fret right wahts the point?
here's what my bass teacher did to me:
learned my influences
learned the style of music i liked
tought me the notes on the staff
gave me a simple song of the genre i chose to keep me interested
started techniques/theory. gotta keep them interested in playing before you get into the real heavy brainwork
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
my teacher started off with the mechanics of playing as well, and made sure i alternated my fingers, i always had to walk them or id have to play it again.

but the thing that really started to hook me on bass was when he started teaching me theory. seeing how the entire language of music is built is very interesting to me.

good luck man, i hope you get some good students, none of those whinny little brats
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
my teacher first taught me notes and excersizing my fingers and hen he taught me scales and still is rightnow im in arrpegios
teach them all the parts of the bass guitar (bridge, p-ups, nut, tuners,etc..). then teach them how to tune it, using a cheap tuner, (every student must have a tuner).
you should show them how to change the strings. then start them out with the Mel Bay Bass Guitar book. it will teach them the basics such as scales and such, but also show the notes on the bass clef. then teach them how to read tabs, and find learning material on the net. and of course, show them how to get here, to the
UG Bass Forum! good luck!
My teacher taught me modes, scales, and other theory related stuff. The guy really wasn't a fantastice TEACHER, as we kinda talked and jammed most of the time, but that is what helped me to become a better bassist. The real learning sorta took place outside of the prverbial classroom. I guess that is just a different approach to it, but it worked well for him and his students.

But, the things we did work on during lesons, were just basics, and how to play. Like moving your fret hand as little as possible, in essence when playing a scale, you shouldn't have to move your hand a whole bunch to hit the notes. And I showed him the stuff he told me to work on.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Last edited by Casual Karma at Aug 11, 2006,