It's used, but its not like i'm gonna carry it around town, so the it's no big deal.

BUT...

This piece of crap is DIRTY AS HELL. =/

It has a rosewood fingerboard, and it has... like stains on frets 1-2-3-and 4. I got a moist paper towel and cleaned it up, and it fades, but after a few seconds the whitish-stains come back >=/ So I'm like, WTF? It almost looks like the color of the fingerboard has been rubbed off, but can it?

Oh, And around the back of the neck, it has some greenish stains at the level of the 1->4 frets, and near the bottom where the neck meets up with the body. Same thing, scrub scrub scrub, except these don't fade or anything. I guess the green stains were probably made with sweaty fingers or something. =S Are there any products you people recommend before i go buy some random crap?

And before i forget to mention, how about solutions for rusty screws? the screws holding the pickguard in place are all rusted up, and i don't like that.

Any help would be appreciated.
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
jeez how much did you get it for and why didnt you just buy a better guitar?
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
take a towel, put some dish soap on it and put some water
then clean it(remove the strings) and it goes away, I had this on my guitar, for the neck, I guess it would also work
I got it for $75. Like i said, its no big deals. If i wanted it for showing off i would've bought a white falcon or something. I got it just for playing at my own leisure, I have other much better guitars.

And would the dish soap mess up the wood/fingerboard. =/ Seems counter-intuitive to me, but i'll try.
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
don't put too much and it won't affect it, I use it and it sounds so much better now and the fingerboard is still intact
Quote by Fyre Deity
I got it for $75.

Eek, 75?! I been looking to sell mine but I never imagined anyone would pay that much for it if it was used. But mine isn't THAT used.. it does have a few minor dings but absolutely clean.

I would remove the strings though, and softly rub a steel wool scrub (like you use for pans and stuff, make sure it's new and clean) with the grain of the wood, it might help bring up some of this white residue.. but as for the back of your guitar... I'd sprinkle some bartender's friend stuff on the back. I can't think of the brands it is.. things like Ajax I think? that all purpose powder cleaner stuff... see if that works. I don't know about dish soap, you could try whatever. I'm sure it won't totally destroy the guitar and if worst comes to worst just order a whole new neck off the internet (ebay, etc..) or see if your guitar shop has any... or better yet, ask them how to clean it.

...well I guess that was my two cents. Good luck, let us know what works!

EDIT: You DONT use the same wool as you would for a pan, you want a finer grade. The pan remark is to give the mental image of what the tool looks like. As for the cleaner, don't be a cheapie and just buy what your guitar shop would recommend to clean the gunk off the back of your neck. Sorry for being a dumbass and confusing people.

p.s. Thanks about my signature, ha. I changed it though
"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."
Last edited by scribbles at Aug 13, 2006,
^ Scribbles your signature is not lame.. it's actually really clever
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Barkeeper's Friend is an abrasive cleanser product that contains oxalic acid. Oxalic acid can remove rust, but it can also scratch soft smooth surfaces. You can make a paste with the powder and a little water, mask off eveything you DON'T want to get in on, let it sit for while, then scrub it off.

Murphy's Oil Soap is a good, safe cleaner/polish for wood and is often used on wood moulding and fine furniture.

If you are gonna use steel wool, for heaven's sakes, don't use the same grade you would for pots and pans. Go to a hardware store and get some really fine grit, "000" or something like that.
Quote by scribbles
I'd sprinkle some bartender's friend stuff on the back. I can't think of the brands it is.. things like Ajax I think? that all purpose powder cleaner stuff... see if that works.

That is not a good idea... the powder will scratch the **** out of it.....

Try some "Fret board cleaner" as it is designed for this purpose.

DJ
Quote by mrbreeze
Barkeeper's Friend is an abrasive cleanser product that contains oxalic acid. Oxalic acid can remove rust, but it can also scratch soft smooth surfaces. You can make a paste with the powder and a little water, mask off eveything you DON'T want to get in on, let it sit for while, then scrub it off.

Murphy's Oil Soap is a good, safe cleaner/polish for wood and is often used on wood moulding and fine furniture.

If you are gonna use steel wool, for heaven's sakes, don't use the same grade you would for pots and pans. Go to a hardware store and get some really fine grit, "000" or something like that.

LOL I didn't know I had to dumb it down that much. I watched a friend clean their guitar off with the powder, if you don't scrub vigourously, stuff comes off really nice. Didn't realize it was so abusive, thanks. And :P of course you'd use a finer grit, I just forgot to mention that part I guess. :-s I was trying to give a mental example.

Cleaning/Setting up your guitar <--- click this for a better explaination about the fretboard & it has pictures
"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."