I was curious if there was a trick to screaming without loosing or hurting your voice/throat? I've been singing since I was a kid, choir, music sholarship the whole bit, but I can only do a song or two that involves screaming before I start to lose my voice. Any tips?
well personally i have no talent in screaming, but i usta have a friend that smoked a pack of ciggs before every show, he doesnt now, but i suppose its something that just takes practice, you have to train your voice
Quote by elhorn14
well personally i have no talent in screaming, but i usta have a friend that smoked a pack of ciggs before every show, he doesnt now, but i suppose its something that just takes practice, you have to train your voice

Smokings a bad idea.
I heard once of a singer who just used to whisper loudly and it sounded like screaming, but if you try to sing more from your stomach and less from your throat, it puts less strain on the vocal cords.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by elhorn14

Haha, smoking isn't the answer. I want to save my voice, not destroy it.
Well I've been singing and screaming both for a pretty long time, and I don't think it's possible to scream right without hurting your voice, but it is possible for it to be very miniscule and temporary. Scream technique is basically the same as singing technique, in that the way to do it properly is to open up your throat. Many people will try and tighten up their throat and force it out that way, mainly I think because it's quieter and people tend to be shy like that when they're starting out, and then they just kinda keep doing it like that. To scream right, though, you have to open up your throat, chest, mouth, everything, and just belt it out like your singing your loudest possible note. And then, for best sound, make sure your throat is good and moist... nothing sounds worse than screaming with a dry throat. Not to mention it hurts.

Now, you might not sound right on the first time, but a good scream needs warming up, too, so give it time. And if you get it right, it won't hurt, at least not until you've done it a bunch. For me, personally, I can do about about 2 songs worth of full on screaming before it starts to take much effect on my singing range. And if I do just a little bit of screaming, it actually loosens up my voice enough to improve my range by a couple of notes. Weird, I know, but true.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar