I recently bought a used framus cobra in good condition. THe amp was sounding fantastic, then one day it just didn't sound good anymore. Its kind of fuzzy and undistinguished, and it makes a lot of noise. I brought it too a guitar tech and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Is it possible for an amp to just start sounding like **** for no reason? COuld it be my cabinet? ANy help would be appreciated.
What Cabinet do you have?

Sounds to me like eithe rit need new tubes or you have a blown speaker
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
very odd, I wouldn't think it's normal to just start sounding bad unless something is going wrong. I've had mine for 6 months, and it's been very consistent. Like GNR4EVER said, sounds like tubes or a speaker problem. Are they the original tubes in it?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I just got bran new tubes to replace other brand new tubes that were defective. Im going through a crate cab with celestions. Its not the tubes fore sure. Maybe its the speakers, I dont think so though.
You could just be "used" to the sound and it simply doesn't thrill you anymore, but considering you said you liked it at first and now it sounds like crap I doubt it. If it isn't the tubes then I would guess the speakers, otherwise I would guess the transformers or some other more intricate detail of the amp that I dont understand.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by chokeyou
I just got bran new tubes to replace other brand new tubes that were defective. Im going through a crate cab with celestions. Its not the tubes fore sure. Maybe its the speakers, I dont think so though.

hmm, when you got new tubes, did you get the amp biased? Sometimes the bias can drift some with new tubes, so you are supposed to give it another check a while after you bias it. I know they come from the factory biased with the EH tubes at around 24-27mA. At that bias, there tends to be crossover distortion, which can make it sound buzzy. It sounds best at around 33-34mA, where it takes it out of that range. Some guys even bias it hotter than that. Does your amp have the external bias pot in the back, with the test points for each tube? If so, it's really easy to bias it yourself with a DMM. Either that, or make sure your tech guy has the tubes biased at around 32-34mA. I wrote Framus about it, and they confirmed it would be fine at that bias setting. It sound MUCH better at that bias.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids