i just bought some Zakk Wylde Boomers 10 - 60 gauge and i just put them on and tuned them then i whent to play and i noticed the strings were like a inch, inch and half off the fret board. Then i looked at the tremolo unit and it was at a 45 degree angle out of it i mean i thought it was going to snap off. so i untuned it and i tryed again and it started going up again.WHATS WRONG WITH IT?!!?!??!?!?!1
You need to put more springs in the trem because the tension is so high because of the larger strings. You can buy replacement springs for like five bucks for 2. make sure they're all the same size springs so i'd buy like five and replace all the springs currently in there.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Last edited by toxicity33 at Aug 10, 2006,
Tighten the spring-claw at the end of the back cavity. Make sure you only do 1/2 or 1 full turn each and then tune until it's paralell to the body. -_- I was trying to change the config of my springs last night and left a good 8 cm scratch at the back for good haha, never ever try to put on springs before losen the strings.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
ha, that same EXACT thing happened to me today!!! with the same strings!!! But once i tuned it down 2 full steps the tremelo was fine.

also wind88, do you mean tighten the actual screws that go into the wood of the guitar?? thats what i think you mean but i want to make sure. Thanks!!!
It perfectly normal, the bridge is designed to work on semi-floating mode or fixed mode. All you have to do is put more springs on the back at the tremolo cavity.
This is why people should be taught about Floyd Roses before they leave the store they bought the guitar from. It would save a lot of trouble people have with them. I know from experience, I wish I would have known to keep the same gauge strings on it.

Basically, what ^ they all said. The only thing, though, is that if you arent comfortable with adjusting the spring tension, then go to a shop and get them to do it. If you mess up or dont make the tension correct, you will end up with a constantly out of tune floyd rose, or, at worse, a broken guitar that you have to take into the shop to get repaired, which will end up costing you a crap load more.

When I took in my guitar, the guy that fixed it for me taught me a really good trick. The key to adjusting the tension correctly is to place a block inbetween the floyd rose and the body in the back of the guitar so the block is holding the floyd rose parrallel to the body, then turn each screw a quarter turn at a time until the block falls out.
Quote by El Cumanés
It perfectly normal, the bridge is designed to work on semi-floating mode or fixed mode. All you have to do is put more springs on the back at the tremolo cavity.

so your saying its alright for the tremelo to be way up in the air because of the tension??? is that a fixed mode??? also, once again, do i adjust the screws that go into the wood of the guitar that hold the screw claw???
no it needs to be parallel to the body, not matter the gauge. But thicker strings have a stronger tension when tuned properly.

on the other side of the guitar there is a cavity where you can adjust then spring tension of the temelo itself. Usually you turn these no more then a quarter turn when the strings are on, but when its that big of a difference, I usually loosen all the strings, and give the screws a lot of turns, after I get the screws even I retune the guitar and see how the action is there. If its still a great deal off I loosen the strings again and guestimate it again.

After you retune it again I see how much its off, and this is where I use quarter turns until I get it parallel with the body.

Once its tuned and parallel, lock the nut, and use the fine tuners which you should have set in a middle setting before you tried everything with the nut locks off.

The floyd rose sight has some good instructions too that u can use
I wouldn't mess with the ZW Boomers.. theres just so much tweaking and problems that can arise and they aren't that great from my own personal experiances.
Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic