What would you call a EADGBE tuning up a 1/4 step? not a half step up or then it would be FA#D#G#CF right? I mean a 1/4 step up. It's like this strange tuning I've been using and so do the Raconteurs in most of their songs. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance...
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
I'd either call it E half-sharp or F half-flat, personally, but I doubt if that's anywhere close to right.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

you probably need a tuner for this one...tuning a quarter step would be going halfway between the notes. By this I mean that on the tuner the note will read either the very top of the E range or the very bottom of the F range, when considering the E string.

{-----E-----@} or
{@---E-------}

@ = current frequency

oh you want a name? i'd honestly say "Oh this? It's a quarter-step-up-from-standard tuning."
Would you use that because it's more combfortable to sing with?
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Meh, if you rock at, like, math and stuff, you could set it to the right Hz value to make it work, but that takes more than I know to do.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I'd be careful with that tuning...it will be hard to play with other people (if u were tuned up or down by half-steps then you could transpose, but not with quarters)
Why can't you transpose with quarters?

SHEDIT: Oh. Wait. I see what you're saying now. Never mind that.

See, I thought you meant you can't transpose to another key, which wouldn't have made just a whole lot of sense, but you're talking playing with someone else who's not 1/4 steps off.

(The whole explanation there was for someone who felt the need to answer my question down there.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Aug 10, 2006,
if youre trying to play along with a recording in that tuning, dont. it's just the tape was playing at a different speed so the pitches sounded a bit higher than normal, i encounter tabs like this, such as baba o'reily.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
umm well yeah I'm the only guitarist in my rock band so I wouldnt really have any other guitar in a different tuning. Even if I do jam with someone, I would tune do to standard or they would tune up to this crazy tuning. Yeah playing with someone who is in different tuning is too complicated for me. I just wanted to know if its an official tuning or something with a name. I'll call it "Standard a 1/4 step up" I guess. thanks for the help guys even though most of you misunderstood me.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Quote by automatedshovel
Would you use that because it's more combfortable to sing with?

oddly enough that you say that, sing much better for some reason. It's wild.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Those notes are called microtones, as they do not really exist in western music, although many forward-thinking composers from many periods have experimented with them. its would be known as standard tuning a quaterstep sharp. (this is equal to 50 cents on your tuner.)
Quote by Eclectia
Those notes are called microtones, as they do not really exist in western music, although many forward-thinking composers from many periods have experimented with them. its would be known as standard tuning a quaterstep sharp. (this is equal to 50 cents on your tuner.)

perfect! that's the information that I find the most answering to my question. thank you very much!
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300