I was never good in recognizing one from another - is this overdriven or with lots of distortion (maybe both?)
Quote by hardrock1315
They're the same thing...

not really...distortion is more ballsy...anyway...i think hes using a good amount of distortion...and with a wah pedal
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Quote by flesh fries
not really...distortion is more ballsy...anyway...i think hes using a good amount of distortion...and with a wah pedal

No, they are, they're just different words. Now distortion is generally seen as a heavier effect and overdrive is seen as a bit cleaner, but they both are really the same thing. You can say that distortion is overdrive and overdrive is distortion and not be wrong.

So considering Zakk's usual tone, it's probably more like "distortion". But seriously, it's not quite a unique tone.
this doesnt help anything, but it clears stuff up, you overdrive to achive distortion
Quote by hammondrckr
this doesnt help anything, but it clears stuff up, you overdrive to achive distortion

correcto, but actually thats what they used to do, now its done by pedals
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
correcto, but actually thats what they used to do, now its done by pedals

Not always. It sounds better if you don't use pedals and actually overdrive the tubes.
distortion is really a form of overdrive, but i wouldnt say they are the same thing. overdrive is achieved by pushing the tubes in a tube amp until they break up, or simulating the sound. distortion is a version of that. instead of using the way tubes are driven, distortion just cuts off the highs and lows of the soundwave. the difference is subtle, but it does exist.

i dont listen to the band, so im of no help whatsoever as to knowing which it is.
To the threadstarter, just mess around till it sounds like it.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

The thing is - I don't have no JCM, no distortion pedal, no Dunlop ZW sygnature overdrive pedal... I was just thinking - what I have to buy first to get close to that sound...
Quote by hardrock1315
They're the same thing...

uh, no, they aren't.

Overdrive = sound of tube amps pushed to high volumes. Best tone you can ask for... you can play normal chords with tons of overdrive and they still sound like butta'.

Distortion = ballsier distortion of incoming guitar signal. When full chords are played, they sound a bit off. Reason? The distortion signal will cut the frequency in half between two given notes. A powerchord = root and fifth... the "halfway" mark that the distortion will also play is around the major third, making power chords sound nice. However, normal triads (let's say major) = root third and fifth. Halfway between root and third and third and fifth aren't necessarily "pretty.
Looking for my India/Django.