OKay guys, i decided to stay away from a peavy valve king head and save more money...so here we are. £900 in the bank and im eyeing up this Marshall 2203 JCM 800 Reissue...

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.3.1.2-17-4408

What are peoples opinions on this ? Good cash ? Or better spent on this -

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.3.1.2-17-5213

1959 SLP 100Watt.

Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
do you like playing more metal/ hard rock music, or more classic rock/ everything else with that sound music?

the JCM has a chug chug chug, thick type of sound

the 1959 SLP has a Karaangy and vibrant zepplin/ Hendrix type tone
(inspired by something i saw in someones sig)

Personally I would go for the 1959 SLP as it has the tone i like but its up to you.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Aug 11, 2006,
i play quite a bit of hard rock and metal, but i also like to indulge in some pink floyd / hendrix / zepplin / ACDC etc and also some bluesy type stuff aswell so im so torn between the two lol

Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
have you got your heart set on a marshall? JCM800 is a classic but with the variety of music you play you might wish to opt for a different brand of amp like laney, ENGL etc. Marshalls are great amps, especially at nailing certain soudns, but in your price range with the demands you need of that amp you might be better off looking at a different brand.
Marty
Quote by olix99
i play quite a bit of hard rock and metal, but i also like to indulge in some pink floyd / hendrix / zepplin / ACDC etc and also some bluesy type stuff aswell so im so torn between the two lol

I that case I'd go for the 1959 SLP. or if you want to get something for everything Look into a brand called Hiwatt, I have been told that in england the original DR103 Custom 100 Heads (1968 to 1976) go for less that 1 Grand US (500 pounds?).

http://www.toneheaven.ndirect.co.uk/hiwatt_and_orange.htm
they have Hiwatts, Oranges, Marshalls, VOX's, and more. (all origionals too)
Good Luck Finding something you like.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
i am totally in love witth that original JCM !

No i havnt got my heart set on a marshall - i am willing to look at other brands - any suggestions ?
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
well if you're in love with the JCM go with your heart! i'd suggest checking out a Lanney TT series head. It's pretty cheap in britain!

http://www.theplanetofsound.co.uk/product.asp?dept%5Fid=110&sku=2909&mscssid=QEWX4XEB47BE8MELV8VG7UMSG2U792F6&tld=0

sorry about the choice of website, first thing that came up on google.

they get pretty marshally sounds, but they're versatile in the cleans department - this is what i've been told by trusty reviewers however, perhaps a side by side comparison at your local shop or a shop in brighton might be in order.
Marty
what's the heaviest metal you play? how much versatility do you want? how loud do you need it to be? what's your guitar?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Many people associate JCM800's with just 80's music because they were built in the 80's but older JCM800's are more classic rock amps than modern amps, or "metal" amps. I would say early 80's 2203's and 1959SLP's sound very similar. I've hear nothing but good things about the 2203 reissue's but the original's are around the same price as well. A Les Paul straight into a 2203 = Led Zeppelin tone
I think that you could deffinately get away with a Marshall JCM800 for the tones you want. It does classic rock and everything fine, and it's also got a very full sound for metal. Although, if you're into hardcore metal, you might need a boost with it. An ENGL Screamer 50 combo might do the trick a little better.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
the 2205, and 2210's are better for higher gain stuff,.........2203 and 2204's are better for classic rock stuff.
the utmost heavyest metal i play is slipknot / ( original )staind (tormented album) (no arguments about what is and what is not metal please)

i need a reasonable size amp for gigging average sized venues - i use an Ibanez RG and a fender telecaster with humbucker at the bridge. Id like my new amp to be quite versatile for a range of styles.
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Id say look into Hiwatts.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by olix99
the utmost heavyest metal i play is slipknot / ( original )staind (tormented album) (no arguments about what is and what is not metal please)

i need a reasonable size amp for gigging average sized venues - i use an Ibanez RG and a fender telecaster with humbucker at the bridge. Id like my new amp to be quite versatile for a range of styles.

perhaps a Marshall DSL, MB Dual Rect, or something more modern would suit your fancy then.
^ seconded. Look into genz benz too, maybe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm....a Peavey 6505 would do the heavy sounds he wants, but he said he wants versatility. I'd try looking into a Peavey JSX, a Genz-Benz El Diablo 60, a Mesa F50, and the Marshall JCM800 2205.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Thanks a lot guys, im going to the guitar centre now and im going to try out

- Marshall JCM 800 and 900
- SLP 100 Watt
- Peavy JSX
- Peavy 6505
- Mesa Boogie Rectifiers / Roadking

And anything else that may take my fancy while im there !
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory