Page 1 of 2
I recently discovered Jimi Hendrix - All Along the watchtower

I think it's really catchy and I can't stop listening to it. Anybody else hate it or love it?
yeh its a gr8 song but also listen to the original by bob dylan
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard
VOX AD50VT
Yanagisawa (Saxophone if that counts?)
Quote by Callum162
yeh its a gr8 song but also listen to the original by bob dylan

didnt know it was copied
I actually like Dylan's better for once... maybe it's just cause I don't like Hendrix all that much.
Signature? We don't need no stinkin' signature!
Last edited by DireStraits at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by Lordoflax
didnt know it was copied

They are both very different. It's my favorite Hendrix song.
Quote by DireStraits
I actually like Dylan's better for once... maybe it's just cause I don't like Hendrix all that much.

I think that Hendrix has a very very unique style, you either have to love him or hate him.

A bit like marmite
Quote by Lordoflax
didnt know it was copied

Dylan's original was acoustic, kind of boring. Hendrix really made it his own...to the point where Bob Dylan has been playing it like Hendrix did (and so does every band that has covered All Along the Watchtower since, like U2 and Dave Matthews Band) for the last 35+ years.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
U2

Yeah ive been watching videos of when U2 played live in london's dominion theatre, and it's quite a good song
Last edited by Lordoflax at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by Lordoflax
didnt know it was copied

Man, EVERYONE has played Bob Dylan before, so don't worry about it being "copied" (which it wasn't in full - it's very different musically, and Jimi had permission to cover it).

Also, All Along the Watchtower is an awesome song - I'm more into Jimi's blues songs, but I can trully listen to anything by him.

Every song he plays, whether it's easy or hard, is played with unbelievable emotion and soul.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Dylan's original was acoustic, kind of boring. Hendrix really made it his own...to the point where Bob Dylan has been playing it like Hendrix did (and so does every band that has covered All Along the Watchtower since, like U2 and Dave Matthews Band) for the last 35+ years.

Well Dave Matthews plays a slow acoustic version as well.

But Dylan is quoted as saying Hendrix did the best version of that song.
Its how you look and how you feel
Quote by Lordoflax
I think that Hendrix has a very very unique style, you either have to love him or hate him.

Or we can be in the middle? I like a lot of Hendrix' songs, but the soloing doesn't usually do much for me.

edit: To the post above, my friend really likes the DMB version. We did a cover in that style at a show once.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Man, EVERYONE has played Bob Dylan before, so don't worry about it being "copied" (which it wasn't in full - it's very different musically, and Jimi had permission to cover it).

Also, All Along the Watchtower is an awesome song - I'm more into Jimi's blues songs, but I can trully listen to anything by him.

Every song he plays, whether it's easy or hard, is played with unbelievable emotion and soul.

Jimi Hendrix: "Blues" is a great album, I love Catfish Blues

And "All Along the Watchtower" is one of the songs that drove me into playing electric guitar. It's amazing.

Quote by jim morrison714
i love the part with the wah and delay

Me too

And whenever I have my Crybaby infront of me, I'm either playing that part or "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)".
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I don't like Hendrix. I think Bob Dylan's version is much better. More emotion and less ego.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Jimi was quoted as saying that Dylan was the greatest songwriter of all time--he was fascinated by Dylan's lyrics/style, and as a result covered a lot of his music. My personal fav--------Like a Rolling Stone
Great song. My band might be covering it (the Hendrix way) at our BOTB. the original is cool but i prefer Hendrix's.
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
Quote by Sherman901
I don't like Hendrix. I think Bob Dylan's version is much better. More emotion and less ego.

i hope your joking.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Quote by Lordoflax

A bit like marmite

I don't HATE Hendrix... I don't know, but to me his stuff starts to kinda sound alike after a while. And the minor pentatonic thing never really appealed to me...
Signature? We don't need no stinkin' signature!
Great song. I really like both versions (Dylan and Hendrix), haven't heard the DMB version. There are a heck of a lot of different covers of it, one I quite like is Neil Young's cover at the Dylan 30th anniversary concert.
I heard The Dave Matthew's Band Cover when I watched his concert in Central Park DVD.

It was definetly good, but very slow for the mos part.

I can't remember it too well, since it was a couple years since I watched it.
Fantastic cover by Hendrix. Easy to learn aswell, some parts are a little more difficult then others but it's still fairly easy.

If you really liked that Hendrix cover try learning "like a rolling stone" great song aswell.
Hai UG!
yes his version of like a rolling stone is cool.

You can look it up on youtube and find a few versions of it
Its how you look and how you feel
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I watched his cover of "Like a Rolling Stone" the other day on some Hendrix documentary my friend recorded.

i watched that too. i also saw it at the rock and roll hall of fame (where i touched jimi's clothes and jim morrison's cub scout uniform )
I think All Along The Watchtower is a great song with Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, but I like Jimi's version is best. It's more guitar in it...
It's the only Jimi song I can really say I like with a degree of sincerity.

Ironic how it's a cover
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
You aren't big on Jimi?

I regret to say with the expection of AATW, he does absolutely nothing for me.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i really love Hendrix's version but i think Bob Dylan's is better.
"They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion." - Ginger Baker

Quote by alexlemon2
I've been here long enough, and nobody knows who teh fudge I am

I cry at night
Quote by Resiliance
I regret to say with the expection of AATW, he does absolutely nothing for me.

Okay.

I know a lot of people who really don't dig him that much either.

I like his music, and I appreciate what he did, but I'm not really obsessed with him.

I definetly prefer his live albums to his studio albums.
When jimi started playing it bob dylan stoped performing it, and i like dylans version better.
Kind of off topic, but has anyone read "Jimi Hendrix: Room Full Of Mirrors" it's a biography I just read, I found it pretty good actually.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
No, but I think I know some people who have.

The only Hendrix book I read was Jimi Hendrix: Sessions.

It's about all of his recordings, some of his gigs, and just other info about The Experience and Jimbo's other bands.
I love it. I've only recently started getting into Hendrix though. There were times when i heard Purple Haze and Voodoo Child and i just thought what the hell? This isn't anything special. Then i took time to listen to some of his other big songs like this and hey joe and started really enjoying his music. I still maintain that Voodoo Child and Purple Haze are not his finest points by any means.
Page 1 of 2