Hey guys. i'm thinking of getting a 2nd guitar. right now i have a fender MIM fat strat, and i play quite a wide range of songs from grunge (nirvana), red hot chili peppers,some hard rock and some metal, but i play quite a lot of nirvana songs compared to other songs. i usually play with a boss ds-2.i am thinking of a fender jaguar or maybe a gibson sg. quite expensive stuff, but i am no longer that satisfied with my strat. pls help me and pls do not insult me for playing nirvana songs or something. thanks a lot!
what's ur budget? what amp do u have?

and sounds like u need a humbucker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
budget, maybe around $1k-2k, and amp, at home i have a cheap-assed amp, roland cube-30. in the studio i use studio amps, around 100W??
id say go with a jaguar seeing as cobain had one (i think.) if you use a similar amp/setup then you can get a sound closer to his (even though its really hard to get the exact sound.)

you could try an sg, i think they would get what you want done done, or even a les paul. i think the les paul could get the grunge/hardrock down but not so much the metal although i do use mine for metal sometimes.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
The Jaguar is a neat guitar, but it will kind of stigmatize you as a Kurt clone (I would think). I think if you're going to get a secong guitar, give yourself a bit of a new sound. Some options, you know? Get a Gibson, then you can use both sounds when you want to. You'll be a more versatile player.

Cheers,
Andrew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mSZlWgFj1I
strats and other non-tele fenders are definitely the "grungiest" sounding guitars. And a jag would only peg you a a cobain wannabe if you only played Nirvana-esque songs on it.
You should look into some Schecter's. Very affordable and versatile guitars. Good luck
Celtic FootballClub1888
i'd go with the sg. it will add more diversity.
if you got nothing good to say say nothing at all.
Its way under your budget, but you could customize the living crap out of a fender cyclone which has alot of cobain flare but I dont think he used them and I'm not even sure they had them then.
if i was practicing at home most of the time. first thing i would do would be to upgrade my home amp. maybe a small tube amp.

thats going to give u the Biggest overall tone change.
then i would add a few pedals to my board. effects, FTW when it comes to capturing certain sounds.

and then i would pick up new pickups for my mex strat.
maybe a texas special, stacked single or some good classic rock lace pups.

and then with the rest of the $1500 say u'd have about $800 left over, i would pick up a double humbucker guitar.
not a low end gibson as they really arent that great. i would either get a high end epi, a schecter, or maybe a showmaster fender.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
As great as the c-1 hellraiser is, do you really consider nirvana to be metal or hard rock?
Quote by 1fine69
As great as the c-1 hellraiser is, do you really consider nirvana to be metal or hard rock?

who said Nirvana was metal or hard rock fool