Hi,

I love to hear strumming in songs, I would like to emulate stuff I hear, an example would be "sweet Dreams baby" by Roy Orbison, I can't do it because I just can't seem to keep time with strumming, do you need to always strum with a heavy accent on the 1st and 3rd beats.

can you strum without the empahasis on those beats and do you still need to keep in say 4/4 time if thats what the notes are.

Appreciate some help, not so much DDUDU type stuff but more how to fit a strum into a song, sorry if that sounds stupid to experienced musicians.

Regards

pete
just practice. good strumming is expressive strumming. it'll come with age dont worry. just keep playing.

Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
In a 4/4 rhythm you would be accenting every fourth note so; 1, 2,3,4 1,2,3,4 but I've always found that accent to be fairly natural. You really need to learn to count your notes so using only down strums count each strum as: 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 and so on, you can then split these into down and up strokes counting 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 (the ands are counted on each up stroke between beats), use a metronome while you do this to keep your timing precise. You can then begin to miss strokes but still count them for example miss the second upstroke of every bar, eventually you'll naturally pick up strumming patterns and probably won't be counting most of these in your head unless you have something with a particularly tricky timing.