Page 1 of 2
OK so I have only been playing for a few weeks now. I wanted to change my strings as the salesman recommended it.

He told me bring the guitar in and the would show me how to do it. Looked pretty simple but as you can see in the pic the strings looked nothing like the "factory" where they wound on the pegs.

My music instructor had to help me get it tuned yesterday and this morning I woke up and all the strings are loose.

Did they not wind the strings enough times around the tuning pegs? My instructor told me that they did a half-assed job.

Do I need to restring this guitar the right way? He mentioned that he winds his first string (high E) at least 4-5 times and as you can see here it's only wound once.

Oh yeah the guy broke a string while he was stringing it and I broke the 6th string when I got it home trying to tune it. That little snarl there on the 6th string peg is my fault but my instructor told me the right way to do it. He even said it was better the way I did it thatn the way they did it.

Last edited by Domaru at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by .:SwAmPmOnKeY:.
somebody put this in the guitar basics or the electric guitar section...

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forums
Ya, its quite a ****ty job. It looks like the first 3 are not wrapped around enough and the other 3 are. Its pretty funny looking how they did that.

P.S. I think you should clean your guitar, looks dusty.
--
...and the world sighed in relief
Yes, they did a half-assed job. Take it back and ask for a refund, if they don't give you one, just simply don't recommend them to anyone.
never get a guitar serviced for any job at guitar center. I never do. They can't even change strings as you can see. So if they can't do that, don't get any service what so ever there.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
They did a pretty crappy job. The best thing to do is definitely to learn to string it yourself. For a couple reasons. Save yourself the little bit of money they charge you to do it, and you know its done right if you do it yourself.
Wtf...

You'd think people running a guitar store would have the decency to string a guitar right.

Fucking noobs.

I recently re-stringed my accoustic, and I have a picture here

Sorry about the lighting. It's a bit blurred and hard to see all the wound strings, but you can get the idea. It's pretty clean.

And yeah, I need to cut the excess string sometime
I didn't have a signature until now.
Always go local, if you can, for servicing guitars, one time I took my Schecter in for a setup which they said would be a day or two, the store got really busy and it took them a week, they gave it to me free and hooked me up with a free pack of strings. Good People.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Yeah, always go to small guitar shops, people at guitar center know **** about guitars most of the time. I once asked this guy if they had Roland Cube 30's and he asked me "is that a type of amp?"
Gear
MIM Stratocaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickups
VOX Valvetronix AD15
BOSS Blues Driver
VOX V847 Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by .:SwAmPmOnKeY:.
somebody put this in the guitar basics or the electric guitar section...

get over it, F*ck sakes, contribute something to the article or shut the hell up. Ya man they did a poor job on that. You'd think they'd know how to string a guitar eh.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Is the reason for the loose strings this morning due to the incorrect winding or just because new strings stretch alot?

Am I going to have problems keeping the guitar in tune due to this?
Probably mostly due to string stretching. I'm picky about how my re-string jobs LOOK and there is definantly a right and a wrong way to do it. But just because it looks bad doesn't nessisarily mean it won't work or stay in tune.
I started playing before we had all the available info on the internet. And I've always restung my own guitars. It took me awhile to learn how to do it and at first I did some pretty ugly jobs. But I don't recall ever having a major problem as a rsult of it. BTW: Get yourself an electronic tuner. Makes life SOO much easier. But do learn to tune by ear also.
For a minute then, i thought the guy at the guitar center made that dent in the headstock.

Broke a string though? Hmm, well, I dont know.
But how the hell did you snap the low E string???
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
For a minute then, i thought the guy at the guitar center made that dent in the headstock.

LOL The guy at the guitar center had the string threaded through the tuning peg and he bent it around and there werent even any loops around the peg whatsoever. He had abot an inch and a half of string left sticking back towards the fretboard so I tried loosening the peg and pulling some string back out so I could rewind it with some loops around the peg.

At the point where he had bent it it snapped as soon as any tension was on the string.
Quote by Logz

It's possible, and it's not fun when it happens.
It's fucking vicious.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
There is a video lesson on UG on how to properly restring your guitar.
Quote by Dardarian
There is a video lesson on UG on how to properly restring your guitar.

My instructor showed me how to do it and I am confident I can do 100% better than the guy at guitar center did.

I should have known something was wrong when he wouldn't tell me how long he had been playing for.
Wow, most the people at Guitar Centers are dumbasses. Glad I live in Canada.
What guitar do you have? I see a "Stratocaster" on it.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
Quote by Scourge
Wtf...

You'd think people running a guitar store would have the decency to string a guitar right.

Fucking noobs.

I recently re-stringed my accoustic, and I have a picture here

Sorry about the lighting. It's a bit blurred and hard to see all the wound strings, but you can get the idea. It's pretty clean.

And yeah, I need to cut the excess string sometime

Takamine? If so, SNAP! :p they rock, don't they?

Yeah he's strung that pretty badly. But then if you think about it, you could've just looked up "restringing a guitar" on any guitar website and found out in about 3 minutes how to do it properly.

Does anyone here use the 5th fret rule for the length of the strings?
Quote by tommyt
you see what youve done draken youve unleashed airplay upon unsuspecting teens, damn you and your self righteous reportyness

buttsecks?

"Cookies? Who said you could eat *my* cookies?!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Quote by Logz

I've done it. Was not fun. At all. Made even worse by the fact that I don't use a pick, and it was a high gauge acoustic string.

And to threadstarter, definately go and at least try to get your money back. That was a pretty bad job, maybe learn to do it yourself?
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
Quote by Ikilledkenny
Wow, most the people at Guitar Centers are dumbasses. Glad I live in Canada.
What guitar do you have? I see a "Stratocaster" on it.

It's a Squier Fat Strat. Heres a link to it:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321703506

It was only $200 and I think it was the best deal I could get for that price range as far as a brand new beginner guitar.
did you stretch your stringa first, it doesn't really matter as long as your strings are stretched otherwise their prone to de-tuning
In/Rainbows
Lol, this reminds me of when I first put new strings on my guitar and I had no clue what I was doing. I just put the string through the peg and hoped for the best. No knots, no way to secure the string at all... Not a surprise that G G B and e all snapped...
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Lol, this reminds me of when I first put new strings on my guitar and I had no clue what I was doing. I just put the string through the peg and hoped for the best. No knots, no way to secure the string at all... Not a surprise that G G B and e all snapped...

my physics teacher stringed it exactly the same way you did, suprisingly his strings haven't snapped.
My high strings (restrung myself) only wrap around like 2-3 times, after the initial out of tune from stretching (what you do is play a bunch of bendy stuff right after stringing and keep tuning until it doesn't go out any more) almost neverlose their tuning.
Quote by Domaru
Is the reason for the loose strings this morning due to the incorrect winding or just because new strings stretch alot?

Am I going to have problems keeping the guitar in tune due to this?

just retune it several times, it should stay in ok as long as u have 2-3 wraps each.
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Damn, that job is horrendous. I usually wrap the string around three times, then pull the string through the hole, then pull it vertical. Works everytime. The three low strings on that job look like they're all tangled like some ****ing vine.
I have to say, that is the single worst re-string I have ever seen. Ever.

WE DO NOT TIE KNOTS IN THE GUITAR STRINGS TO KEEP THEM ON THE TUNING PEGS!

Go back and demand a refund. That is a disgrace to half assed jobs everywhere.

Then, after you get your money back, go buy a pack of strings somewhere else and restring it yourself. I can guarantee you that it will come out better.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by evolutionised
yeah, the guys in the small guitar shops do it for passion. most people in large ones (like guitar center) do it for the salary.

yep, i love the smallshops. the ones around me have low selection
Quote by Xenn99
I have to say, that is the single worst re-string I have ever seen. Ever.

hahahahaha I'm gonna have to agree with that.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Do I string mine ok? They hold tune pretty well (considering it's a Squier and the tuning peg on the low E is fuccked up...)

That's how all of the strings are.
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

you needs this too. ^

u need to leave the correct amount of slack. kink the string put it thru at that point and wind, put the new string under the string already on the tuner. it should look stacked neatly, like a coiled rope. not with winds above and below the hole.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2