Hi there. I have a wee question about my strings. No, they haven't broken, aren't corroding, have no rust spots, keep tune, still have nice tone, are easy to play with, don't hurt my hands, are fast, etc. So what's the problem you ask? Well... I haven't changed them since... well I think it was April. I used to work in a guitar shop and of course I know that nearly everyone says "Change them every two months or so at the least". But when they're holding up so well, I can't help thinking "Why bother?".

I remember when I first started playing, I must've had the same strings for nearly a year before I was told to change them. I noticed a huge difference. They sounded better they were easier to play with etc. But this time... I'm having no problems. Maybe my hands are too unaquainted with proper labour and thus haven't learnt to exude sweat and grime by the gallon, but whatever it is, these strings aren't rusting.

So my question is "Should I change them?". I bought two sets of D'Addarios last time I bought strings (back in April) and the second set is still sat here waiting for a time when a) I break a string or b) I notice a speck of rust or corrosion, so there's no inconvenience about time or cost. What do you guys recommend?
Change them, whenever Im about to change strings I always think that I dont have to, but then when I do, they play like butter. Do it.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Wait until one string breaks, then restring the whole guitar.

Same thing happened to me.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
yes....even if you dont think they sound "bad", replacing them will make it sound alot crispier and smooth.....
ooooooooh ah ah ah ah
umm okay. Well if they sound fine (tone wears away eventually) and they look clean and there isn't much dirt on them, then I guess keep them on their. It's really up to you.

I usually don't keep strings on for that long though.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
try changing them. i imagine you'll notice a huge difference.. if not i guess you'll know for next time
Yep... I suppose you're right. Give 'em a change and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen, right? While I'm at it, I can clean out some of the dust that gathers on the pickups and headstock... It'll make 'er look shiny new
strings are about the cheapest thing you can do to improve you guitar's feel and performance. However, I most always let my luthier change them for me. While they have the rig, I also have them make any adjustments that may be needed, as well as look for signs of future problems.

I have several guitars, so it takes a while for me to wear out strings on all but the rig I use most often. As long as they feel and sound OK, I wouldn't worry about them. BUT ...... if your guitar has had tension on it for a long time, has been moved around, temep amd humidity changes, etc., you should probably do as I do and change them while you tweak everything back to where it should be.
if you have had them since april you should probably change them 4 & 1/2 months is a good run for a set of strings.. If your like me though i like to get every bit of life out of my strings as i can, so i try to take really good care of them, and i can get them to last alot longer than i used to.. Basically (in theory) if you keep you strings clean, and they dont have any fret kinks on the bottoms (little flat spots from being pressed against the frets) then they should be fine.. I myself after every session of playing, i take a soft napkin and fold 3 times to make a pad with it, then i slide it up under the strings by the neck pickup, then slowly push it up the neck all the way to the nut, then back (you would be amazed at all the crap that comes off even after just a few hours of jammin) then i take the pad and wipe off the top of the strings as well, keeps them nice and clean, and prevents rusting due to hand oil and gunk.. I usually get an extra months use out of my strings because of this simple little thing. But after a while you cant avoid the natural stretch that the strings will do, eventually they will stretch out to much, and will just lose there sound..

But over 4 months is long enough, change those badboys then take my advice and keep them clean..
My guitar has had the same strings in since before christmas, I don't think it was in the shop long. I have thought about changing them but I really need to get some slightly thicker strings. So what gauge do you think I need for drop D? My dad has a pack of 009 - 042 but I put these on a different guitar and they are definately thinner then what I have at the moment, I think mine are slightly thicker.
What gauge are you using?

If you have a whammy bar, can you do us an experiment? See how far you can pull up before a string breaks and so on.

Thanks
if they look good still and play fine, dont worry about it. i normally change them if i start getting a buzz from a bent string or it brakes, usually about every 6-10 months...
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
If you have a gig, change them like a day before so they dont break during the show.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Does different brand of strings actually will have different tension even if its same gauge? Last time when i change the strings the bridge was actually pulling up after i tune all the new strings and everything so i had to adjust the springs again. I'm pretty sure they are all 9s so it's kinda weird.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
well, what i do, is pull up on the string from the pickups, and run it all the way to the headstock, you should feel major dirt on them if youve had them that long. i would say change them, because if you believe that there still good sounding, think about this...

...strings slowly give away, so while they give away, there will be a very little difference, and youll get used to that sound, and so on, so it may sound good to you, but it really isnt, the same happened to me.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
I change them every 4-6 months. I don't treat my guitar rough, so I don't need to change them every 2 months like people suggest.

If you don't notice any problems with the strings on there right now, leave them on. But I would definitely change them by (let's see, you put them on in April) Octoberr. No later than that. You might not notice anything with the old strings, but when you change them; you should notice a difference.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
I change them every 4-6 months. I don't treat my guitar rough, so I don't need to change them every 2 months like people suggest.

If you don't notice any problems with the strings on there right now, leave them on. But I would definitely change them by (let's see, you put them on in April) Octoberr. No later than that. You might not notice anything with the old strings, but when you change them; you should notice a difference.

I beat the **** outta my strings.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

well id say do it. if you have the money go for it. i never really seem to have the money so i play my strings pretty hard and long. but even still its not longer than a couple of months. i play ALOT so i dont know how i could keep going. i just keep downtuning so they dont break when i bend lol. but i must say, theres nothing like broken into strings. but i guess if you stretch them well it wont matter too much.

so yea maybe just change them. might as well.