hello guys.
this is my first time writing here =D Nice to meet you guys

few weeks ago, I bought couple of 12gauge D'Addario string sets.

but there's a problem. I don't know if the neck will survive the 12gauge.

I'm using 11 gauge right now, but when I'm playing on the 3rd~1st string,

it gets difficult to pick the string sometimes (and I've played long enough), and

strangely, I play better on the thick strings. so I bought the 12gauge.

I asked the guy who was working in the counter if the neck is going to be ok if I

down tune it (I tune my guitar to Drop C or 2step down..I dont tune any higher),

and he says if I down tune it, my guitar's going to be totally fine, but I cant tune any

higher then those 2 tunings. He says it WILL bend the neck no matter how thick the

neck is... o.o

I use Ibanez RG EX2. It has a fixed bridge, and the neck is slightly thicker then the other RG models...I'd say it's between the thin RG neck and Les Paul Neck.
It's doing fine with the 11 gauges on, but I'm not sure it will survive the 12 gauges...

is it going to be ok if I use 12 gauge strings on my axe?
been using the zakk wylde boomers (either 10s or 11s cant remember) for a long time now. I keep my guitar either down a step or drop C all the time and its doing fine. I would think if u tuned it standard it could do some damage though either to the neck or your fingers.
Quote by babysmasher
maybe im confused but aren't 11 guage strings thicker than 12s?
no...it's thinner. bigger the numbers, thicker the strings
im just a beginner but my uncle has ben playing guitar for 20+ years and i use .10-.46 boomers and my uncle and the guy at my local music store said those are perfect for beginners. they also told me that the zakk wylde boomers bend almost any neck
Quote by noob06
im just a beginner but my uncle has ben playing guitar for 20+ years and i use .10-.46 boomers and my uncle and the guy at my local music store said those are perfect for beginners. they also told me that the zakk wylde boomers bend almost any neck

I don't know about the boomers, but they're right about .10s being the perfect starting size, really depends on your style where you want to go from there though. Seeing as I rarely, if ever, downtune (and when I do it's only half a step or to drop d), .10s are still doing me fine.
[SIZE=
its pretty hard to damage the neck with normal gauge strings (though you might have problems if you went up to like 16s or something). You might have to adjust the truss rod though. (though since you are only going up from 11s to 12s you probably wont even have to do that)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you are staying in drop tunings you should be fine, but I don't know if I'd risk it IMO
if ur in drop tunings you will be fine but any higher than that its likely to bend the neck.
If you plan to keep the guitar in standard tuning, then anytime you change the string gauge, you need to adjust the truss rod and intonation of the guitar. It may still play fine but if you're particular about your action you'll want to adjust the neck. Even if it plays fine you'll still need to do the intonation most likely.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
You'd probably be okay in standard tuning with 12s, threadstarter.
And no Schneiderman, 11s are fine as well.