Page 1 of 2
I'm teaching myself slap bass and I think I got the slapping part down. I keep playing it to Guerilla Radio by RATM (even though Tim doesn't slap in that song) but I don't really have much songs to play to so if you know any good songs for a beginner to slap bass to, let me know, okay? Thx. ^^
See you at the Live house!
Quote by Kibakichi
I'm teaching myself slap bass and I think I got the slapping part down. I keep playing it to Guerilla Radio by RATM (even though Tim doesn't slap in that song) but I don't really have much songs to play to so if you know any good songs for a beginner to slap bass to, let me know, okay? Thx. ^^

Try KoRn for slapping...its like the eaisiest stuff to play.
if u know how to pop as well, u should try some of the chili peppers song....there pretty fun, for starters, like dani california...u can do the slap and pop on taht song pretty easily...
^^The edit button works wonders

Aeroplane-RHCP
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by Kibakichi
I forgot to mention I use a four-string. x_x;

It really dosent matter, most bands that use 5-strings dont even use the 5th one most of the time.
A lot of disco. And old Funk. Can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but those are pretty slappy.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Flea doesn't slap Dani California (not sure if that was being suggested or not above me, just wanted to throw that in), but try something like Can't Stop or Tell Me Baby if you're into Chili Peppers...what kind of music do you like though so we can suggest more things?
higher ground, true men dont kill coyotes, around the world, i like dirt, get up and jump, aeroplane and a bunch of others by the rhcp
can't stop by RHCP was the first slap/pop song i learned so you might as well give it a try
Are you ready for some hardcore man on Manatee action?
Quote by SlipKnoT(666)
Try KoRn for slapping...its like the eaisiest stuff to play.

i wouldnt, cause fieldy is an extremely sloppy slapper. best stuff to learn thats relatively easy is RHCP and some simple phish lines.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ I never really realized how much Mike Gordon slapped before for some reason. I just started noticing it.

fIREHOSE often has slap worked in amongst complex fingerstyle parts, once you feel comfortable switching between the techniques midsong.

The second half of the solo of Stone Cold Bush (the low end stuff) and the basic Aeroplane line rythm is the classic Flea octave pattern and shoulf be learned for best exploition. Its basically slap mute pop pop.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Higher Ground - RHCP

...classic
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
around the world isnt slapped, nor is dani california

and power of equality by rhcp has some awesome slap parts.
Quote by SocKo?

and power of equality by rhcp has some awesome slap parts.

OT:When I try and not slap Around the World, I can never mute my open "E" before I go to the higher octaves...any tips?
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Quote by poochy
Aeroplane-RHCP

Not exceptionially easy for a begginer to slap but still a good song.

As others have said Can't Stop and Higher Ground are probably your best bets. Or just continue to muck around with slapping over the neck until you feel confident enough to try some more advanced slap.

Edit: Also try "Love Rollercoaster - Red Hot Chili Peppers"
Last edited by ShaggyDan at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by Casual Karma
OT:When I try and not slap Around the World, I can never mute my open "E" before I go to the higher octaves...any tips?

cover the string with your left hand as you slide up to the upper octave.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Any Chilis , Flea Is the man, blackeyed blonde get up and jump skinny sweaty man, loads try some
Ya, Flea all the way. Kick ass live 2. Once u get good and u think ur up for it try either Speak Free by Incubus or if u think u can do it Nobody Weird Like Me by RHCP
Quote by Flea jr
Any Chilis , Flea Is the man, blackeyed blonde get up and jump skinny sweaty man, loads try some

except that stuff mabe too hard for a beginner dont ya think?

and to the quesiton on around the world, i usually mute it with my thumb as i move up the neck.
two great beginner songs for slap are Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth and Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away.

They are all root-octave pops and move around the neck in a nice pace - great for beginners. Not too hard that you get annoyed and have to slow it down to 10% and not too easy that you get bored.

Good luck
I'd recommend "The Return of Sathington Willoughby" by Primus, thats the first slap line that I learned - it gets into a pretty basic slap groove and essentially repeats itself.
Yes, Flea is good. But there are other better bassists.

School Days by Stanley Clarke is a nice easy song if you only play the rhythm bass.
Quote by SocKo?

I'm afraid you are, in fact, mistaken my friend. If you watch the video for Dani he slaps most of it, and some parts are played fingerstyle.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
backwoods by RHCP. thats a fun song to play.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Face The Slayer
I'm afraid you are, in fact, mistaken my friend. If you watch the video for Dani he slaps most of it, and some parts are played fingerstyle.

and if you care to LISTEN to the song, you'll HEAR it's not slapped.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Flea has awsome slap lines. Try songs like higher ground or cnat stop those are some of his easiest for speed try older stuff like get up and jump, or skinny sweaty man. Lots of old funk is good too. Bootsy Collins has great lines. Larry Graham from sly and the family stone was the originator of the slap bass style. come original by 311 has a great slap line. But when I started off playing bass I was doing the same thing as you. I played Guerilla Radio as a slap line too I did that with any song I could find. I mainly just played a bunch of chili pepper stuff. Flea is the best bassist not just because of skill but because of the things he says and his general love for music. Any musician should take a look at that instructional dvd he did a while back. Its really helped me a lot.
Quote by Casual Karma

Move your anchored thumb to the E string?
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by Face The Slayer

the only time he slaps in the video is when he's playing as elvis' bassist on an upright. The song isn't on an upright, is it?

it's not slapped.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by _RATM_
if u know how to pop as well, u should try some of the chili peppers song....there pretty fun, for starters, like dani california...u can do the slap and pop on taht song pretty easily...

there is no slap in dani california.

311, incubus, red hot chili peppers are great bands with great slap players. also try primus, if you are feeling daring
Take the Power Back by rage against the machine

best bass line evarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Too many puppies or golden boy by primus, but only if u can do double stops and chords
Page 1 of 2