how come i can only play somethings really fast, like if i play a scale i can play it at like 14nps, but if i attempt a solo thats that fast i cant do it. why? for instance i tried playing Trivium's "Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" solo, and I can only do it when I play the slow parts and the fast parts arent that hard but i just can't play it as fast as i normally could. hopefully this makes sense. thanks.

HxC
this is purely how it works for me - hopefully it's the same for you. whenever i memorize anything, i imagine the pattern on the fretboard. actually, whenever i imagine anyone playing guitar, i imagine where their fingers are going, like when i daydream about steve vai and such.. i really think that speed is purely dependent on how ingrained the pattern of what you're playing is in your head. scales are linear, you can play them without feeling, just playing triplets from E string to e string, and when you've memorized the pattern it really and truly requires no thinking.. with a well made solo it is different because it's not as easily memorized and visualized, and there's feeling that has to go into it to get the same exact sound. that was a really bad job at explaining it but hopefully you can relate with a little bit of that.
coz u know the scales of by heart an they have a pattern to them.............trivium solos not so much. and if you play along to them with music its made worse because your trying to keep up with their insane timing. not much of a help but just practice it off by heart

That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation
And how high can you fly with broken wings?
Life's a journey not a destination
And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

For info how to join the team PM Bombtrack
Quote by benjonotbanjo
this is purely how it works for me - hopefully it's the same for you. whenever i memorize anything, i imagine the pattern on the fretboard. actually, whenever i imagine anyone playing guitar, i imagine where their fingers are going, like when i daydream about steve vai and such.. i really think that speed is purely dependent on how ingrained the pattern of what you're playing is in your head. scales are linear, you can play them without feeling, just playing triplets from E string to e string, and when you've memorized the pattern it really and truly requires no thinking.. with a well made solo it is different because it's not as easily memorized and visualized, and there's feeling that has to go into it to get the same exact sound. that was a really bad job at explaining it but hopefully you can relate with a little bit of that.

he has the basic idea...speed is all about muscle memory, and this is the ability that your muscles have to perform something without thinking and when it becomes second nature to you...this can only be achieved through correct practice, which is practicing everything slowly enough to play absolutely cleanly and moving up from there at a steady pace - this is most easily achieved using a metronome...it's all about being relaxed and becoming aware of your whole body and eliminating any excess tension you may have while playing

www.guitarprinciples.com
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
okay i get what you're saying. like when i play my scales really fast i feel sorta loose, but when i try and play something else fast i feel alot of tension.
no, i'm saying that you should not start to play something faster than you can play it cleanly...the reason that you probably can't play a certain solo as fast as you can a scale is because you haven't been playing that certain piece as long as scales...a scale is easily memorized and can usually be played pretty quickly without too much hassle; a solo, on the other hand, is usually much more complicated and involves more movement and dynamics

and for this reason, you need to practice it slowly to, in a sense, "ingrain" it into your muscles so that when you play it a bit faster it'll be clean as well...if you play something fast and sloppy 99 times, why would you expect it to be clean and precise the 100th time?

use the practice principles provided in part by that link with everything you practice, and never jump up 100 bpm and try to play something full speed when you can't play it cleanly at a slow speed...remember, speed is a byproduct of accuracy, and to be accurate you must learn not to make mistakes...the only way to do that is to play slowly
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
practice makes perfect. id play stuff very slowly to get the feel of it and then speed yourself up . now i can play stuff like black dog and cowboys from hell. it works