I just saw this.

Yay or nay? My band sounds like a mixture of The Ramones, Guns n Roses and Muse, so it's hard so say what style I play... but I need some nice high-gain tones.

Looks good to me.
Try it out first. I have a feeling that they are going to be a pretty good value. All the new Epiphone tube amps are new within like the last month so noone has any experience with them really.
What about the solid state rectifier? Would that make the tone better or worse?

Also, would it be an upgrade or downgrade from my Randall RG50TC valve combo? (by looking at the specs)
The valve Jr is great for blues and classic rock, but for god's sake, change the stock tubes on it!
Quote by Aidy Damage
What about the solid state rectifier? Would that make the tone better or worse?

Also, would it be an upgrade or downgrade from my Randall RG50TC valve combo? (by looking at the specs)

Lots of amps have SS rectifiers. Marshalls use SS rectifier. I think that most modern amps use them. They cause less "sag" in the sound.
If you are comfortable with it, upgrade the amp. It has more of an effect on your tone.
The Epiphone amps I've played were good. I didn't get to fool around so much with them though.. I was at the guitar store and my girlfriend wanted to leave. :S Go figure.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
I'm just thinking maybe it's better to upgrade my combo to another combo, since as soon as I've learned to drive (turning 17 in December), so as soon as we've done that my band can gig further away. I need an amp with decent distortion AND cleans. My Randall is TERRIBLE for 'cleans' (they distort!!!), so I'll need a tube combo that would be able to give me good clean AND distorted tones.