Hey,
I'm thinking of buying a new guitar, and i want to play pop/punk and punk styles of music.

I've heard various opinions on what the Squier and Fender Telecasters are like, but i was wondering how they are for playing this particular genre, as it's in my price range and i've heard they are a decent guitar.

I've been playing 2 years now, so im still kind of a beginner as i dont get much time for practice except at weekends.

Can anyone give me their opinion on this guitar, and if it sucks at this genre, give me names of other suitable for this genre in the same price range???

Thanks a bunch.
The Fenders are MUCH BETTER than the Squiers.

That said, I don't think either would be great for you, since pop-punk and punk generally call for humbuckers.

What amp do you have?
I dont really have a clue what my amp is, i was planning on getting a new one of those too.
All i know of my current amp is that its a 10 watt practice amp
I have to disagree with danno on this one. I can get a great punk sound out of my tele. Mind you, I mean old-school punk (e.g. Ramones, Sex Pistols). The Fender Telecaster is quite possibly the best guitar ever made, and I highly recommend one, even a mexican standard is a high quality instrument. If you are playing through a crap amp however (Marshall MG, Line 6 Spider, any low end Crate etc) you will not be able to get a decent tone. A small tube amp would probably be a better upgrade. I've heard good things about the epi valve junior, and that plus a decent overdrive pedal would be an excellent low cost upgrade.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by paintITblack39
Get a new amp, and what's your current guitar?

erm, currently have a basic 'Encore' strat copy... (crap i know, but it was cheap to start on)
^True, telecasters can easily do old-school punk, but since he said pop-punk as well, I assumed he wanted more of a Blink-182, My Chemical Crapdance kind of tone.
Good point on that one^, maybe a 72 custom?
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
so telecasters are good for punk, but not really suitable for pop/punk...???

any suggestions for guitars suitable for both within a similar price range???
Telecaster '72 custom?

What bands, exactly, are you hoping to sound like?
^That's why I said a 72' Tele custom. It's a tele with a humbucker in the neck, so you can do old school, and pop punk. It is a little bit more than a standard tele, but I would say to save for it.
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
i have a fender tele and it does almost exactly what i tell it. great guitar though one with a humbucker and a single coil will give you a wider tonal range
ah, ok, sorry i must've skipped that post by accident before...
I'll look into it, thanks for the help
Quote by Danno13
Telecaster '72 custom?

What bands, exactly, are you hoping to sound like?

Well, kind of a blink-182, green day style, as well as Sex Pistols etc.

But i also want to try and develop my own sound which is quite similar to them
not really my type of music, but to each his own...

What about your budget? That pop-punk sound isnt anything special, if you been playing for two years you have to know some punk licks by now, id recommend going to a guitar store...preferably a guitar center if you have one in your area and look at guitars in your price range. Also check out some amps there.

I have an ibanez RG320dx and a cheap fender 15g amp....I got them off of ebay for really good deals...well the guitar was 160$ shipped, that sounds about right for this kind of cheaper guitar used, and the amp was 15$ off of ebay :P

But i plan on going to the guitar center soon and laying down 700$ for a decent guitar. But id definately find a few and play them and see what you like.
(^^^ that was the plan, but i want to get an idea of what to look for 1st thanks anywayz)

....ok, i checked out the Telecaster '72 custom on a few sites, and think its maybe out of my price range as im short for cash..... although i may save up which could take a while (hmm..)

If i decide against this model and not save up, does anyone have any other suggestions on a guitar which is good for a punk - pop/punk sound???? (any decent models, not just fenders..!!)
I have a Squier Telecaster, it looks kwl but don't buy it, t's nowhere near as good as my mate's 77' Custom Tele.

But anyway, another friend has got an Ibanez, Strat lookalike which was £150, not sure in $. And that is great for all things punk. Also a cheap Zoom Pedal makes a lot of difference.
Well, if you're set on the Telecaster shape, I'd suggest you get a Fender MIM Tele and then if need be, get yourself a pup change.... maybe a Lil '59 or Hot Rails.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack