Hello fellow UGers.

I am ****ing obsessed with the Foo Fighters and the tone. It's some of the best sounding music I have ever set my ears upon.

That said, I'm looking for a few things at this point in time...
(not in any order, or importance)
WHAT I NEED
1. Mahogany guitar (Foos exclusively play Gibson Explorers, SGs, Pauls, as you may know)
2. Clean-based amp (I figure I get a tube combo that I can get up to par distortion-wise with a Mesa Dual, which they play along with Savage, Marshall...you get the picture)
3. Pickups for this mahogany guitar (on most of the models the Foos play, stock pickups would happen to be the 496R and 500T. )

From what I have gathered so far...
I definately will NOT be able to get their exact gear, as I am somewhat tight in expensive purchases. I've got a new trumpet I want, need a car, band trips, etc.

What gear I'm thinking about...
Geetars:
-Washburn Idols
-Epiphone models of their Gibson guitars
General Specs I need...
Mahogany body, dual HB guitar with 2 tone, 2 vol. configuration, nice fret access, single or double cutaway fine, small heel prefered (non-Tele heel please!)

Amps:
-Mesa Lonestar (out of budget right now, and the thought of this is decreasing everyday due to my expenses)
-Epiphone Blues Custom 30
-Vox AC15/30 (30 may be out of range...)
General...
2 channel, clean-oriented, giggable

Pickups for aforementioned guitar:
-Swineshead Venom, neck and bridge (ceramic, just like the 496R and 500T)
-Seymour Duncan '59, Custom Custom
General...
Good cleans, nice distortion near Mesa Dual Recto in sound and tonal clarity

Bands I most often play/replicate...
-Foo Fighters
-White Stripes
-Nirvana
-The Raconteurs
-Shinedown
-Weezer
Basically 90s with some modern touches

And finally gear I have now...
Guitars:
Ibanez Artcore AF75, Stagg Tele, Harmony Plywood Beast and 3 acoustics
Amp:
Vox AD15VT

It may seem like I don't need any more guitars, but 2 acoustics are unusable without tuners and the Harmony I would rather not spend more money than I have on it. I swear this is my last guitar until I can get a Fender Mustang to replace the Stagg.

BUDGET
Looking between $300-$500 for the guitar although I could go less as long as it has all the features I want.
Amp can be TUBE from $500-$1000 giggable. Less than $750 would be nice if everything works out.
Pickups can be between $100-$250 range. No EMGs whatsoever.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Aug 11, 2006,
dave records everything with his gibson trini lopez which is a semi holloebody so try getting an epiphone dot
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
Quote by firebridge
dave records everything with his gibson trini lopez which is a semi holloebody so try getting an epiphone dot

He already has an Ibanez Artcore which, if I'm not mistaken a semi-hollow.

I read that Dave uses AC 30's so you might want to look into them.
uh get an epi dot i have one and there great.GET THE VOX AMP!!!!!! id say go with an ac30cc im geting one cuz they are amazing amps. and try pickups. you dont wana just get everything so you can just play foos. you want someething versatile so if you get into dif music later on your not screwed.
Jesus Christ. You guys didn't read the whole post, I know it.

I did a full, extensive gear thread on Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett's rig for this site. I know what amps they use, what they record with, etc. etc.

I am also not trying to emulate their tone fully. I like their sound, but I also want to get my own tone.

And as a sidenote, Dots suck IMHO.
did you say you already have a recto? i kind of didn't understand some of what you wrote...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sorry dude your post was long and alot of people dont like to read that much so we just comment on the first thing read.
Quote by Dave_Mc
did you say you already have a recto? i kind of didn't understand some of what you wrote...

Dave, my apologies. If you didn't understand it, I don't know many others who would.

And sadly, I don't have a recto Dave. Just and AD15VT.
^ ah. have you tried a genz benz el-diablo? if it's in your budget, it's worth a shot. A recto-ish high gain channel, footswitchable to a more rock tone, and a better clean channel than a recto.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for reminding me about my budget Dave.

I wish I could dish out for a Genz Benz, but alas, I do believe it's out of budget.
^ crap. well, what do you want more? the mesa-esque distortion, or the vox-y cleans?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ ok. in addition to the vox, a laney vc30 might be worth a look.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, you and your proper English amplifiers.

I'll have to find that site again that sells Laneys, Oranges, and such. I'll report back to you tomorrow about that.

I plan on going to Guitar Center either tomorrow or sunday, so expect a spam thread, but maybe a new amp.