Hi I'm new but I was wondering what is the difference between having 3 tremolo coils in an America Strat vs. the 5 tremolo coils in the John Mayer Strat. I know it has something to do with balancing out the sound, but I want to make sure that I'm getting the right guitar.

p.s. How much thicker is the John Mayer strat compared to the American?
It has nothing to do with balancing out the sound. It has to do with bridge tension. The John Mayer probably has 5 springs just to hold the bridge to the body. On an American Strat, the bridge is supposed to "float" slightly. That's all. And the John Mayer Strat has a fatter, rounder sound than the American.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Danno13
But size-wise, they're the same.

as in the neck or the coils?
They aren't coils. They're springs. They don't do anything other than counteract the tension of the strings pulling on the bridge. And I think the neck on the JM is slightly thicker. American series Fenders (base models) all have the same "modern C" shape.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
They aren't coils. They're springs. They don't do anything other than counteract the tension of the strings pulling on the bridge. And I think the neck on the JM is slightly thicker. American series Fenders (base models) all have the same "modern C" shape.

which would you recommend to buy? I really like JM's sound but I'm not sure if I should just buy an American and find the sound I want to stick with.
Last edited by sm88 at Aug 11, 2006,
if you like the JM, go with it. It's better than buying a guitar you *sort of* like then trying to find your sound.
Hi, I'm Peter