Hi..I'm a complete beginner at all this guitar modding stuff, but I'm looking to boost my Epi SG. I dont want to change it as I love the way it plays but I'd like a little more flexibility out of it. I'd like to change the pickups, but have no idea what to, and if posssible add a coil tap as well...any advice?
Cheers
what kind of music do you play?, then you can decide on what pickups
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
I play quite a variety of stuff, which is why I want more flexibility. Its mostly my own stuff but I dont really write in just one genre, so I play clean stuff that sounds kinda like jeff buckly (but nowhere near as good!), some pseudo Goth Cure/Joy Division rip offs, and some rock/metal/punk type stuff...I doubt that helped much but hey...
Hmmm....
Maybe a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a Virtual PAF (also Dimarzio) in the neck?
Quote by JoNnHannah
I'm homeschooled because I got tired of the corporate conformist administration.

So I have a pretty crime free school, unless i decide to kill someone.

The Search [GP5] C4C
hmm for diversity, imo hit duncans, they're more capable
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Cheers...and can you put a coil tap on any humbucker? The web sites I've looked at seem to suggest you can, but i dont really know
you can coil tap on any humbucker if you a) want to re-wind the pickup or b) if it has 3 or 4 leads, you might as well go with gibson pickups, they make the 490's that sound great and you can coil tap with them, i got them and have never looked back.
~jacob t.
YEh get gibsons, they have a great sound, have a 490R and 490T in my sg, and its SWEET
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by sempri_fi
you can coil tap on any humbucker if you a) want to re-wind the pickup or b) if it has 3 or 4 leads, you might as well go with gibson pickups, they make the 490's that sound great and you can coil tap with them, i got them and have never looked back.
~jacob t.

You don't have to rewind the pickups. Just mod them a bit.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
You don't have to rewind the pickups. Just mod them a bit.

how would you do that?
I used the Seymour Duncan SH4 and the SH2N in my SG and have been happy with the results.
I use Gibson Burstbucker Pro or Gibson 57 Plus hmm. Also I use DiMarzio PAF Classic.
But there a bit expencive never regreted it though.

On my cheapo guitar I when with Kent Armstrong's and I was quite impressed.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
For new pickups, if you like a vintage tone, go for the Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus. (neck and bridge, respectively.