I've just bought a Laney LC30 (mainly for quiet(ish) home use) and while I'm very much into the clean sound, I'm having trouble getting a distorted sound that I like out of the overdrive channel, particularly at low volumes (sounds a bit flabby even with the bass and mids turned right down) so I've been messing about with a few of my pedals going through the clean channel, I've got an EH Big Muff Pi which sounded OK with my previous amp but sounds a bit wooly with the Laney. I was surprised to find that I got better results with my POD, though I'm sure a single effects pedal would be even better. Does anyone that has owned or has used an LC30 have any suggestions? I've been checking out a few FX soundclips on the net and the Cooltron soundclips on the Vox website sounded pretty good to me, anyone tried them with the Laney?

Other info: my guitars are a Mexican strat, a G&L Tribute (Strat type thing) and a G&L ASAT (Telecaster type guitar)
how much cash do you have? what type of sound are you going for?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maxon OD9 or OD808. For a decent inexpensive overdrive Boss sd1 or digtech bad monkey.

Although I budget would be helpful
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by StuC
Maxon OD9 or OD808. For a decent inexpensive overdrive Boss sd1 or digtech bad monkey.

Although I budget would be helpful

I don't think you can get Maxon pedals over here in the UK.

I don't really want to spend more than about £100 GBP ($190) and preferably only about £70, as far as sound goes, I'm not really interested in thrash metal sound, more old school punk/new wave, I also liked the sound of these clips here:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/cooltronseries/bigben/index.htm

I have considered Boss pedals, but as I'm not going to get a chance to try them with my particular amp in the shop, I'd like to be sure that any pedals you recommend are known to work well with Laney amps.
^ you can get maxon pedals here no bother, both the od808 and od9 are about £100...

haven't tried them with laneys, though...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers, you're right, I've just checked and there's a shop near me with the OD-808 for £89, I might check it out.
^

try a bad monkey too (digitech), i hear it's pretty good for the price (about £35)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the SD-1. I picked it up because I couldn't afford a TS and I really like it. It gives me that perfect extra crunch I need.
Well I'll have a look at it, though I don't mind spending a bit more than that to get a good sound.

Edit: I just checked the reviews of the LC30 on Harmony Central and there were a lot of people saying they used OD pedals on the clean channel, the Ibanez TS9 was mentioned a couple of times.
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Aug 11, 2006,
The maxons are tubescreamers, I think maxon made them for ibanez up until recently. The bad monkey is also an emulation of the tubescreamer.
I dont recomend using an overdrive as a disortion pedal, not what their ment to be used for & it'll be a waste of a crunch channel, right?
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by StuC
The maxons are tubescreamers, I think maxon made them for ibanez up until recently.

Ah right, well if it's the same electronics, a better (more resellable) name and £10 cheaper, I think I'll go for the Ibanez version.

Quote by StuC
The bad monkey is also an emulation of the tubescreamer.
I dont recomend using an overdrive as a disortion pedal, not what their ment to be used for & it'll be a waste of a crunch channel, right?

Well yes, I take your point, but I can't really make much use of the crunch channel when I'm practising as you need to crank it up to unfeasibly high volumes to get a decent sound.
^ well, it's better in a more resellable way, but as far as I know, the maxons are meant to be better (more like the original). I haven't been able to try them head to head, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The od channel will sound a lot better when it's cranked, but sometimes I use a boss sd-1 to boost it and tighten it up at lower volumes.
...Bleep Bloop...
^ if you crank the od channel too much, though, the speaker and cab in the amp can't take it, for some reason.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I've had my LC-30 at gig volumes a number of times with no problem.
...Bleep Bloop...
^ well, i dunno, but the one i tried sounded crap up full.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ maybe the one I tried was faulty, but this wasn't a personal preference kind of thing- it sounded like the cab was poorly constructed, it basically sounded like it was about to blow up! it was rattling badly, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh right, sounds like you were playing a faulty one, or maybe I got lucky with a good one but I've never had any problems with the amp at all. Then again I've only had it for one year.
...Bleep Bloop...
well the one I was trying was supposed to be new, I'm not sure age was anything to do with it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You missed my point. I meant my lc30 has never given me any trouble so far but I have only owned it (from new) for a year, so I can't speak for it's long term reliability. Methinks it's a good amp.
...Bleep Bloop...
^ i know, we're kind of talking at cross purposes- I mean, the one i tried was either faulty, or else you got lucky, as since it was a new model, age shouldn't have been playing a part... (unless it was a new model, but they'd had it for ages)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got an LC50 from ebay, one of the first editions, and it still solid as a rock with no trouble with the cab. As for pedals to put in the front end, i currently use a Zakk Wylde and/or a boss Compressor to boost and smoot my sound on solos. I used a DS1 for a while which was good for raspy lo fi stuff but not really what i was after, i also have an MT2 which i sometimes use with the od channel but find it works better driving on its own.
Update: I went to a local guitar shop and tried out both the TS9 and the Boss OS-2 through a Laney amp - an LC15, which unfortunately conked out while I was playing it so I ended up testing them out on an Engl, I decided to buy the OS-2 as it seemed to have a lot more variety in the sound; I couldn't really see what the fuss was about with the TS9, it did have quite a natural sound, but I found it a bit too crunchy. Having tried the OS-2 out with my amp I'm pretty happy with it - it definitely sounds a lot better than my POD or my Big Muff and it also seems to work a lot better with the overdrive channel than with the clean. I was thinking about checking out some of the other pedals (Maxon etc) but I suppose the fact that it's a boss and I already have a Multi PSU for my other boss pedals swung me in favour of the OS-2.
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Aug 14, 2006,