What other equipment do you think I need to get that raw 60s/70s classic rock tone? I already have a les paul(epiphone...I can't afford a gibson) and a marshall amp(which is what im trying to use to get the sound) but what pickups/special effects pedals should I be using?
^Well i guess your Marshall amp is either an MG or AVT, which arent gonna be good at all. The effects used then were overdrive (just cranking the amps, most of the time all tube MArshalls), wah and Fuzz.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ummm...a guitar and amp with give you a "raw" tone. It all depends on your amp. Getting effects/pickups will only affect maybe 20% of your sound. I'd suggest a Marshall valve amp (assuming your already don't have one).
In the 60's you would usually overdrive your amp by turning it up really loud or distort it by slashing the cone with a razor. In the 70's more pedals were available for distortion and overdrive.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
To get the "real deal" tone your looking for, you have to get the right Marshall. It's going to be a "plexi". The originals are thousands, and hard to find, but the reissues are verrrry close, because the circuits are the same. they are about two thousand new. Also, you need the right cab. 100 watt (greenbacks) Totaly different sound than the 300 watt cabs
Quote by REBARMAN99
To get the "real deal" tone your looking for, you have to get the right Marshall. It's going to be a "plexi". The originals are thousands, and hard to find, but the reissues are verrrry close, because the circuits are the same. they are about two thousand new. Also, you need the right cab. 100 watt (greenbacks) Totaly different sound than the 300 watt cabs

Thats what I was fixin to post, beat me to it tho. Maybe a 1987XL or a JTM 45 instead of the 59SLPX. A cheaper alternative that sounds great as well would be an Edana 45 from Celtic Amps. http://www.collegestationhome.com/products.htm
That edana 45 does sound really great, and looks fairly affordable. Those sound clips seem to be just what im looking for ^^. Thanks a lot
The only other thing you might want to look into for the complete 60s/70s rock sound is a Vox wah and some sort of fuzz box, like an Arbiter Fuzz Face.
Hi, I'm Peter
Gibson 57 pickups may help that paul out later on as well
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
What's with the Marshall obsession?

Looking at your signature, it seems to me a Fender would be very good for you. You can pick up a vintage Silverface Fender for really cheap, I bought a 1968 Bassman for three hundred and fifty bucks that does absolutely great classic rock. With a booster pedal it can get pretty heavy too.

Marshall, Fender, and Vox are good brands to be looking at. There are many newer amps modeled on these, and these are good too. I've got a Peavey Classic 30 that does some nice old school classic rock sounds.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.