Hey guys and gals,

Rite heres the thing, I'm thinking of quitting the band i am in:

the guys i play with are a year older than me and have already left high school when i haven't, we aint got no drummer, aint had a full band practice, and i have to WALK 8 MILES TO GET THERE.

There aint no reason why i cant go it alone for a while seen as i can play the drums, sing, guitar and bass. But i'm scared that i will get lonely.

As 'The Clash' put it 'Should i stay or should i go?'
If you know that there's a future and that the members won't be leaving ( college, university or the band ) then stay with it. See how it goes - do you enjoy playing with them?
Hey,
i think as long as you have the determination tou do well. you obviously have flexibility. u seem to be the only one of tha band who is actually arsed about it.
I reckon u drop it and perhaps try starting a band from scratch.
or go solo.

hope thats some help
you should go
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
Well, i do enjoy playing with them its just so hard to get there and that kinda stops me from enjoying it as much as with my mates within a mile of me.

We have got some riffs and lyrics together but then i have to put the drums on a backin track and then mess around with the timing and it could cause to a lot of hassle.

I've tried to convince myself for a while now, and i've tried to stay but i dont think it is going to work for me, but i can see some sort of a future IF we find a drummer.
Quote by chinospike
join/start a new band or make new friends THEN quit the band

yeah good idea

i was thinkin of that but now i have to blow of the friends i got in this band

any tips???
Quote by mlbaxter89
Hey,
i think as long as you have the determination tou do well. you obviously have flexibility. u seem to be the only one of tha band who is actually arsed about it.
I reckon u drop it and perhaps try starting a band from scratch.
or go solo.

hope thats some help

Cheers its was some, but the lead guitarist was more bothered than me, but he hasnt got to walk eight miles to get to band practice and then carry a guitar, 2 girlfriends (one is his), and then walk home at ten oclock through a load of dark woods. Thats why i dont want to but i know i have to.
Quote by Lpfreq
the guys i play with are a year older than me and have already left high school when i haven't'

I don't really think that's a problem. You just need to find times that work for you.
Quote by Lpfreq
we aint got no drummer

Then look for one.
Quote by Lpfreq
aint had a full band practice

What exactly do you mean by this? You have never all practiced together at the same time?
Quote by Lpfreq
i have to WALK 8 MILES TO GET THERE.

It seems to me that this is the main problem. Is there anyway you can move the practice place? Or maybe get a ride? Public transportation?
Quote by Lpfreq
...but he hasnt got to walk eight miles to get to band practice and then carry a guitar, 2 girlfriends (one is his)...

You're carrying two girlfriends? Why are they at the practice to begin with?
Quote by Lpfreq
Thats why i dont want to but i know i have to.

My opinion: it seems that you enjoy what you're doing but it's distance that makes it too hard. So be honest with your band members and tell them the problem. If no one is willing to help then leave.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
I don't really think that's a problem. You just need to find times that work for you.
Well there isnt ever enough time and when i do have time the bassist cant get there.

Then look for one.
We spent days on end looking for one

What exactly do you mean by this? You have never all practiced together at the same time?
No we haven't the bassist is never there anymore but when we didnt have the singer that we do nowhe was always there

It seems to me that this is the main problem. Is there anyway you can move the practice place? Or maybe get a ride? Public transportation?
That would be the only solution but i aint got enough money to keep doing that every week or two weeks

You're carrying two girlfriends? Why are they at the practice to begin with?
Well sometimes they get so tired walking up there, and with her not being able to see him because of how far away he lives she wouldnt dare go alone, in case she gets mugged, raped ect.

My opinion: it seems that you enjoy what you're doing but it's distance that makes it too hard. So be honest with your band members and tell them the problem. If no one is willing to help then leave.

i have before but they convinced me to stay but i'm not sure that they will this time.

Cheers guys
^Given that information I think you should leave. I am under the impression that you are not accomplishing very much in the band, since you haven't had one full band practice. I think that it is not worth it for you to go through that transportation hassle for a band that isn't doing a lot. What bothers me the most though is the fact that you've already explained your problems and your band hasn't helped you at all. I think that is a solid reason to walk right there. Anyways good luck with the future.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Why does everyone site age differences as a reason to quit a band? I have no problem playing with people of different ages, as long as they are competent musicians. Hell, my drummer in my band is almost 10 years older than everyone else in the band. But we treat him just the same. He hasn't been with the band that long but he came out the other day in practice and admitted that at first he felt uncomfortable because he was so much older but then said that as long as we don't "old joke him to death" he would love to continue playing with us.
Quote by myvaliantleap
Why does everyone site age differences as a reason to quit a band? I have no problem playing with people of different ages, as long as they are competent musicians. Hell, my drummer in my band is almost 10 years older than everyone else in the band. But we treat him just the same. He hasn't been with the band that long but he came out the other day in practice and admitted that at first he felt uncomfortable because he was so much older but then said that as long as we don't "old joke him to death" he would love to continue playing with us.

Tru dat^^^

Age shouldn't matter. As long as everyone can play the instruments it shouldn't matter at all. My drummer just entered high school and I just left. The rest of the band leaves high school in a year.
Age shouldn't matter but it does. I've played with people before and have heard stories in my town about younger guys not being able to practice because they were punished and older guys with families who had to put their family first (understandable.) However it's extremely difficult to have a band that transitions from high school to "the real world."

Side note: Do you have a driver's license? If not, that should be your number 1 priority right now. I am friends with a guy who I played music with for years and him not having a driver's license seriously affected his musical career. It's not like we live in the city where everything is there for you. He's 22 and still doesn't have a license, needless to say.. he's not playing in any bands right now.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.