basically, ive been writing songs, and lyrics, but the structure of the lyrics will be edited accordingly to vocal melodies. but i havent really done any of the vocal melodies yet, i was wondering if anyone had any advice on approaching writing them?

many thanx
i need to get a better signature.
generally they go up and down.. write something on a guitar and sing along with it. if its a good riff it could be a good melody.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
i generally record the guitar line i'll be using, usually just a rough draft (not with all the effects etc just distortion when its used) and then i'll practice improv'ing a vocal melody over it until i find something that i really like.
Find an appropriate rhythm first... common ways are to keep each basic syllable the same length metrically, or choose a rhythm that approximates the relative duration of each spoken syllable.

Speak the part, or have someone who speaks the language speak the part, and have the melody follow the basic contour of each word. The example that always comes to mind, since it's what I was taught with, and it's my name, is Daniel. The two syllables spoken (english) descend. Thus in a vocal melody following the contour of it, the two syllables would tend to either stagnate (be the same pitch) or have the second pitch lower. You can do exactly the opposite if voice leading calls for it, or for syllabic emphasis (creates different effects in certain situations).

The vocalist you're writing for, if it's for a particular person, also matters. Different singers have different flexabilities, and some have gapped ranges. If you're writing for a specific person, you need to be aware of that. (They also have a preferred set of keys).
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
thanks guys, i appreciate the help

so corwinoid, do u feel that writing lyrics should be done before the melody, or the other way round?
Last edited by MATTTHEMOP at Aug 12, 2006,
That's really a matter of taste, I think... or necessity in some cases. Personally I prefer writing the lyrics first, and I have my reasons. A lot of people hold writing the melody first is better. TBH the better you get at it the more and more they go hand in hand, at least for solo stuff. I just, personally, have a harder time finding words to fit a melody than I do putting lyrics to music. Probably shows where my experience is at though, not a better way to do it.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
my singer just usually nicks themes i come up with for vocal lines, but thats ok, its sounds kind of cool to have the lead guiatr echoing or harmonising the vocals sometimes.
why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Quote by Corwinoid
I just, personally, have a harder time finding words to fit a melody than I do putting lyrics to music.

arent those the same thing?