I am mainly a guitar player but I am goign to be order a bass online tonight. I am just wondering what is the difference between J and P style pickups? Which one is compareable to a humbucker and which one is a single coil? I will be playing pretty much anything since I don't know how to play much.
you cant really compare them in that sense, as neither are humbuckers or single coils. i find that p pickups can be muddy and jazz pickups have a tendency to be a little quiet (compared to p pickups) but they sound much clearer n snappy so i prefer them, you can get some basses that have both p n j pickups on and that gives you a good versatility. you can actually get basses with humbucker bass pickups on, such as the gibson EB series basses.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
They are not comparable to Humbuckers as they are not humbuckers. But, jazz IMO tend to have more versatility that P-pups. Although there are many basses that come with humbuckers, if that is what you are looking for. Or get a bass with both J and P pups. They are good too.

The guy above me pretty much beat me to it. Heh.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
the P has a single, split-coil p-up. the jazz has two single coil p-ups'. neither are humbuckers(hum cancelling). the P tends to have more bottom end (boom), but the jazz configuration can get real close to that boom, and still be "dialed in" to a bright, sparkley tone. i prefer the jazz configuration over the P, or the P/J config.
if you want humbuckers, nobody does it better than G&L for bass. Musicman is a close second.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Aug 11, 2006,