Sure there is! Sell your soul!

But seriously: Practice scales, practice with a metronome but never forget: it's not speed that matters. It's the feeling behind your playing that matters. Personnaly, I prefer a 6 note Knopfler solo to a 8757857857585875note Li solo
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Quote by Invictious
Don't practice scales you idiot, practice improvising over scales.

how do you do that?
And just for clarification, I don't mean playing scales blindly.

Improvise with scales! Play random notes and hope it sounds good over a position.
Quote by shorter_rocker
I bought this 2000$ gibson and now I can shred like no other, it all has to do with what guitar you have

Incorrect, it aids you in how you can shred, but ultimately, its your skills.
Quote by shorter_rocker
I bought this 2000$ gibson and now I can shred like no other, it all has to do with what guitar you have

...Sarcasm, right?
Quote by Invictious

Improvise with scales! Play random notes and hope it sounds good over a position.

that is the most bull**** advice ive ever seen given when it comes to solos... you're just as bad as the people who say "just play really fast on a bunch of diffent notes and throw a bunch of random bends and pinch harmonics... thats all that Vai does." people like you deserve to be smacked around by a 358lb sweating aroused man...
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
cough cough
zakk wylde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by sloppyjoe24
you can't trust girls on the internet because 75% of the time, they're actually men!
Nah, can't be screwed doing any of that... I'll just go with the soul-selling option.
ALL HAIL THE WEREFETUS

"And he opened his mouth and out came not words, but a savage and evil fire"

SATAAN!!! MRAHNGDIPMJEH!!

www.myspace.com/werefetusband
Quote by ryknow157
that is the most bull**** advice ive ever seen given when it comes to solos... you're just as bad as the people who say "just play really fast on a bunch of diffent notes and throw a bunch of random bends and pinch harmonics... thats all that Vai does." people like you deserve to be smacked around by a 358lb sweating aroused man...

At least I am not a fucking retard like you to do exercises blindly and do scales blindly without 2nd though, unless you are illiterate and didn't understand my meaning, you should go back to english literature class or go anal your mother.
Quote by Invictious
At least I am not a fucking retard like you to do exercises blindly and do scales blindly without 2nd though, unless you are illiterate and didn't understand my meaning, you should go back to english literature class or go anal your mother.

I understood what you said and stand by what i posted.. when soloing you dont "Improvise with scales! Play random notes and hope it sounds good over a position" as you put it.. any moron who does that has no clue to what they are doing.. soloing in a lesser sence is a science.. there are things you can and cant do.. one being is playing random notes over a positions... and for you to give that advice seems that you sir have no clue what you're talking about.. and as far as doing excercises blindly like you claim i do you can go ahead and stick that notion right up your ass b/c i apply everything i learn into music i write..

also wouldnt playing random notes like you stated be considered playing scales "blindly" as you put it.. not really any theory behind it.. just a bunch of RANDOM notes in improvised scales.. that to me is considered playing BLINDLY
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
Technique excercises and studio magic with pro tools because i can safely say i dont think herman has ever pulled off one of his studio solos live. Sam totman is even worse.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by Invictious
Incorrect, it aids you in how you can shred, but ultimately, its your skills.

How do you say something so remarkably stupid like "don't practice scales" then say something that it almost wise?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time you've given this same moronic advice and reacted violently when smarter people correct you.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
How do you say something so remarkably stupid like "don't practice scales" then say something that it almost wise?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time you've given this same moronic advice and reacted violently when smarter people correct you.

he was talkin about the guy that said you have to have a nice guitar to be good.

I saw a guy play Dance of Eternity on a Wiggles guitar for 4 year olds.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
ryknow: What I meant about playing random notes was a joke, but that's how everyone begins when they start improvising, by improvising I mean actually giving thought into it and actually taking it seriously.

Vornik: I said, go anal your mother and never come back, and go take english literature classes if you have trouble understanding what I am saying. When I mean don't practice scales, I don't mean playing scales blindly up and down without second thought into it, improvising helps you learn the scale AND have fun at the same time. Sure, go to be a moron and start playing scales and do nothing else.

Sure I know 50 scales, does it matter? It is how you apply it, genius. Like you know calculus, sure I do, but it is how it's applied, even if you can shred at 60 nps, it is how you apply that into music that's important, not practicing scales like you know.

Vornik, you are a bloody retard, why not go anal your mother again, take english lit. classes and never come back again/
Quote by Invictious
ryknow: What I meant about playing random notes was a joke, but that's how everyone begins when they start improvising, by improvising I mean actually giving thought into it and actually taking it seriously.

Vornik: I said, go anal your mother and never come back, and go take english literature classes if you have trouble understanding what I am saying. When I mean don't practice scales, I don't mean playing scales blindly up and down without second thought into it, improvising helps you learn the scale AND have fun at the same time. Sure, go to be a moron and start playing scales and do nothing else.

Sure I know 50 scales, does it matter? It is how you apply it, genius. Like you know calculus, sure I do, but it is how it's applied, even if you can shred at 60 nps, it is how you apply that into music that's important, not practicing scales like you know.

Vornik, you are a bloody retard, why not go anal your mother again, take english lit. classes and never come back again/

You are a ****ing stupid ****, if you say "don't practice scales you dumbass" no ammount of english literature classes will cure me of the misconception that what you meant by "don't practice scales you dumbass" was that you didn't want him to play scales because only dumbasses play scales. Not to mention seeing as you are definately not qualified to be considered a writer worth studying in an english literature class, I doubt I will learn anything about your interesting style of writing.Maybe you should take some writer's craft classes and learn how to write a ****ing sentence that gets the point you are trying to convey across you stupid psuedo intellectual bitch. Playing scales 'blindly' up and down increases finger streangth, speed and coordination between your two hands, maybe you should take your own advice and take some 'english literature' class, although I doubt any amount of schooling will help you recognize that in my post, nowhere did I say that the only thing a person should practice is scales. Maybe if you had simple comprehension of the english language you would have realised this, but no instead you had to go on an idiotically off topic rant about how you know calculus and how many scales you know. Maybe if you stopped trying to show off and yell at people for disagreeing with you, you would be able to give sound advice to people while not making yourself seem like a total jackass. Although, in your extreme case, I doubt it.

Thank you for effectively proving my point that you simply insult people and metaphorically beat you chest and jump up and down when someone presents an opinion contrary to your own. I will not, in fact, 'go anal my mother', but thank you for the kind words, anyways.

Finally, to answer your question, although I believe it was rhetorical, I will not, as previously stated, 'anal my mother' because that would be repulsive and pointless and not enjoyable for either party. I am however taking an english literature class, unfortunately it has nothing to do with your suggestion that I do just that, it is merely a coincidence. I will also not leave and never come back because I find if one ignores the posts by people such as yourself, you can find usefull information and sometimes give your opinion to help someone out, in other words, I like it here and the only thing that will make me 'leave', in a non-literal sence seeing as I wouldn't actually be going anywhere, is the admin asking me to.

EDIT: This guy is much better at expressing the general idea I am trying to convey on this subject that I am, you may recognize this from the last thread where you made the exact same claims and did the exact same insulting of people who disagreed.:

Quote by Johnljones7443
I think you missed my point... excercises are practiced for that and that alone. To improve the technical aspect of ones playing. It isn't a question of integrating them into a musical situation. They're not musical nor are they meant to be. They're used to build up the physical skills and mental capacity to be able to play music.

I practice because I have ambition to do the absolute best I can possibly do - if I can't make that little legato run in a piece of music I want to play because I didn't practice hard enough, I'm going to be angry.

We practice, we dedicate, we concentrate, we're aware... why? Because we want to create music.

And I do insist on doing these excercises with every ounce of pure devotion to my guitar every single day like a fucktard - because you know what? I love it. I love the fact that I can sit down with my guitar and know that I'm making myself proud. I'm bettering myself with the love for an instrument and passion to create music. I'll be your guest.

I won't call them bullshitters... I don't personally know or care whether Herman Li or Yngwie Malmsteen played excercises or not, so I'll take your word for it.

But what I will say is that people who play with the technical proficieny and articulation that Yngwie Malmsteen does do not get there by improvising alone.

And thats that.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Aug 12, 2006,
Don't practice scales, instead, practice improvising over the patterns of scale, did you not understand that?

You were the one who just started insulting people on reasonably weak grounds, without actually contributing anything, besides saying 'you suck'.
Quote by Invictious
Don't practice scales, instead, practice improvising over the patterns of scale, did you not understand that?

You were the one who just started insulting people on reasonably weak grounds, without actually contributing anything, besides saying 'you suck'.

Quote by Invictious

Quote by Invictious
Don't practice scales you idiot, practice improvising over scales.

You made both of these posts before I made my first, explain how I started insulting people.

Quote by Vornik

Point out where in this post I merely said "you suck."

I have a feeling you didn't even read what I posted, seeing as you asked me "did you not understand that" when I clearly explained why it is that not only do I understand what you said, but that I completely disagree.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Aug 12, 2006,
I will say it again, I object against practicing scales, I was merely recommending him to practice improvising within a scale pattern.

It was you people who chose to intentionally misinterpret the meanings.
Quote by Invictious
I will say it again, I object against practicing scales, I was merely recommending him to practice improvising within a scale pattern.

It was you people who chose to intentionally misinterpret the meanings.

No, you were not merely recommending for him to practive improvising, you were calling him an idiot for practicing scales, thereby effectively giving the impression that you believe all people who practice scales are idiots. I think it is you who intentionally tries to change the obvious meaning of what it is you said by trying to twist your own words around. Ironically you don't even bother to edit your posts first.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
You are putting it out of context there, by practicing scales, it means playing scales blindly up and down, which most people out there do, those people are idiots.

Yes you can practice scales without being an idiot, unless you pay attention to every little detail, being extremely finicky, and do that for a few hours, but that's still idiotic, practicing guitar becomes are chore.
Improvising is fun. Which do you think is more beneficial? lets say you were in a taekwando class, just practicing drills non stop, or actually getting to fight with others? Probably the latter, because you get to APPLY.
Quote by Invictious
You are putting it out of context there, by practicing scales, it means playing scales blindly up and down, which most people out there do, those people are idiots.

Yes you can practice scales without being an idiot, unless you pay attention to every little detail, being extremely finicky, and do that for a few hours, but that's still idiotic, practicing guitar becomes are chore.
Improvising is fun. Which do you think is more beneficial? lets say you were in a taekwando class, just practicing drills non stop, or actually getting to fight with others? Probably the latter, because you get to APPLY.

Just because this applies to you do you think it applies to anyone else? You seem to have drastically shifted your position from your original posts. Coming from the guy advising us all to take english lit classes, you seem to be misunderstanding the simple meaning of "practicing scales". To everyone else on the planet excluding you, apparantly, the two words "practicing scales" mean to practice scales . I don't know where you are pulling all this crap about how "practicing scales" means to "blindly play up and down." I find it strange also that you continue to emphasize the fact that it is done blindly, seeing as it is a muscle exercise more than anything and should not require eyesight. You seem to be under the illusion that a person will practice only one thing, blindly no less, for an undisclosed amount of time then simply stop. For me, and I'm sure most other people, practicing consists of more than simply one element of playing. For example, sure improvising may be more entertaining and more beneficial as a song writer but as far as physically being able to play your instrument, playing scales help. You may disagree, but unfortunately every other musician in the world, not only on guitar, agree. And if this seems like an exageration, it probably is. I took music classes in high school band. I played trombone. We learned scales. We learned lots of scales. Why? Because its helpfull. I have the feeling you have never taken taekwando, and neither have I, but I was in a karate school for many years and believe it or not, most of your time is spent practicing drills and exercising and a small portion is spent dueling with others. Why? Because you can't do **** if you don't know how to punch and you may as well not try it for real if you can't do it to a bag or thin air, and the exact same thing applies to guitar. If you don't have the speed, coordiantion and streangth, it doesn't matter how often you 'improvise', you will be sloppy and uncoordinated.

Scales are not meant to sound musical or improve your songwriting. They are meant to help you become a more proficient player. If you don't want to practice scales, fine, don't, stop trying to tell us its a bad idea when it simply isn't.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Aug 13, 2006,
Scales are for scales, music is for music, exercises are for exercises.

Do what you want, I don't care, but I still stand in my point.

Do you even know what muscle memory is? Do you know how it's derived? So what if I can do all the scales? How can I apply them?

Do what you want, retard, I don't care.
Quote by Invictious
Scales are for scales, music is for music, exercises are for exercises.

Do what you want, I don't care, but I still stand in my point.

Do you even know what muscle memory is? Do you know how it's derived? So what if I can do all the scales? How can I apply them?

Do what you want, retard, I don't care.

Obviously you care very much if you continue to insult me for my difference of opinion. Do you know what muscle memory is? Do you know how it is derived? I find these questions ironic coming from one such as yourself who has done nothing but spew insults and repeat the same mook points no matter how much anyone else explains and provides examples to the contrary. You don't 'apply' scales to your music. You apply the dexterity and streangth and musical timing they help to develop. You can "stand in your point" all you want without insisting that everyone around you is retarded.

I have made thought out and what I believe are detailed explanations of why I disagree with you. All you have done is called me a retard as well as an idiot and asked me to go "anal my mother" (anal isn't a verb by the way. Mr. English Literature).
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Well I thought if I used lower class english for lower class people like you.

I offered my opinion, I gave my point of view and thoughts, it's up to the person whether to listen to me or not, that's my opinion, and I refuse to change it.

Likewise, I object to your opinions, but opinions are opinions, I wasn't forcing him to, I just told him that I don't recommend it.
Quote by Invictious
Well I thought if I used lower class english for lower class people like you.

I offered my opinion, I gave my point of view and thoughts, it's up to the person whether to listen to me or not, that's my opinion, and I refuse to change it.

Likewise, I object to your opinions, but opinions are opinions, I wasn't forcing him to, I just told him that I don't recommend it.

Everything I say flies over your head with alarming consistency. This is the last time I am going to say this: you did not just give your point of view, you ridiculed those who had a different point of view and claimed that your way was the best and only way.
You insulted and continue to insult those that disagree, not once have I tried to change your opinion, I have, as you say, offered my opinion.

Nice try with the lower class english for lower class people, it was a bad insult to begin with and I am fairly confident in my abilities with the english language. You may also want to explain what you mean by lower class person, as it can be taken many ways, but seeing as you can't even be bothered to come up with a decent rebutal to defend your unnecessarily rude comments, I somehow doubt that you will. If you aren't going to at least explain why you think scales are pointless in a manner that provides us with a reason to believe you have any idea what you are talking about or at least makes sense, why bother continue posting when you will only insult me?

I'm going to try to overcome the urge to point out why everything you say makes you seem like a jackass and I will after, this post stop feeding the troll.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Ok, I will make this post peaceful:
Scales are just a pattern, it's jsut a scale, it's like a formula in mathematics. So you have learnt the scale to your heart, now what? You are lacking the music there, it's the music that counts, not the shredding, unless you are superficial. Practicing improvising with the pattern, is just like taking the formula into use, you apply it. It's much more fun, there are millions of possibilities, you learn it much faster, you also learn to improvise and to create music. How would you like it if every guitarist became mindless zombies just playing scales?

Thread over.
Drinking always helps me play better. But that's just me. Go figure, right?
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."