Anyone familiar with the distortion in Long Way Down by Goo Goo Dolls?

That's THE sound I've been searching for. Everything else I've listened to has just been close, but that's it right there.

Anyone know what amp was used to record that song? I like the lead tone and the rhythm sound, but the rhythm sound is what I'm mainly talking about, although I like the lead sound as well.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

GearGeeks.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Nobody knows?

In a live video of this I saw John using some sort of Marshall head (Or at least it looked that way). Which model does it sound like? Anyone know? Heh.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

I always look there and google before I ask questions..
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Yeah Guitar geeks isnt very comprehensive. They never have any of the gear Im looking for.. jeez.. now answer the poor chap.
Well, does anyone know what Marshall it SOUNDS like? Because I've seen Johnny use Marshall's in two of the live performances that I've looked at on youtube.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

From the Fender Player's Club website (seems this was written sometime in '98)

JOHNNY RZEZNIK'S GUITAR SETUP:

Guitars:

? 4-string Fender Stratocaster® tuned D-A-A-C#, with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails bridge pickup.
? 1957 Strat® reissue with Hot Rails in bridge position.
? Fender® Baritone tuned D-C-D#-A#-F-C
? Fender Stratocaster® with Danelectro and Seymour Duncan Trembucker pickups, tuned E-A-D-G-C-G.
? Gretsch® Brian Setzer models tuned D-G-C-F-A#-D.

Amps:

? Marshall JCM9000 with one 4x12 cabinet (with four 25-watt Celestion "Greenbacks").

? Mesa Triple Rectifier with two cabinets (with four Celestion V-30s).

Accessories:

? Shure wireless system

? Mesa Amp Switcher

Other notes...

-On the Analog Man website, he's quoted to be a user of the King Of Tone pedal.

-On Wikipedia, he's listed on the Bogner entry

Also, in an interview for Guitar World in 96 he stated specifically that the sound on "Naked" was a layering of a Marshall (unspecified model) and a Roland JC120.

So after all of that, it seems that his sound, well, it's probably all him like most tones. I think you can nail the tone with any high-gain amp really...the JCM900 seems like a good place to start. There also seems to be a lot of treble dialed in to his tone all the time as well, but that might have more to do with his guitars and the fact that he almost always uses the bridge pickup (I remember reading somewhere that most of his guitars have the switch deactivated and that the guitars are rewired with the bridge pickup being the only active pickup). I think that he mostly used a beat up dumpster guitar and an epiphone les paul for that album as well. Both guitars had P-90 pickups. I also have an old video tape of a show that used to come on PBS a long time ago that featured "unknown" and "up and coming" artists (at the time, this included POE, Goo Goo Dolls, No Doubt, and a lot of other bands that got huge later on). The Goos performed Naked and Long Way Down, and on both guitars, Johnny played a pink epi les paul with dot inlays and P-90 pickups. The toggle switch was missing from the guitar, and some kind of black plastic (?) cover was covering the hole where the switch should have been. Never doubt the power of persistence, google and old videos. Hope this helps bro.