Hey guys, Just bought one of those little 5w all tube heads at Rudys in manhattan. Eitherway! Im looking for a good cab to go with it.

Im wondering what Woods would be good for building a 1x10 or 1x12 and what speaker you think i should use.

I play a lot of blues rock, anything from RHCP to Pearl Jam and SRV
the wood? plywood would work fine,so would either MDF or OSB (I know one will work good, the other won't)
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I built mine out of MDF. Heavy as hell, but it holds up well. I think 1x10 have better bottom-end, so you could look for that because RHCP, PJ, and SRV have a good amount of bottom-end. I don't know how the Valve Junior sounds, so I wouldn't know if it is already low or if it has a fair amount of high end.
1x10 has better bottom end???
bigger speakers have more low end
also, if you make the housing bigger with a closed back it will be warmer sounding
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Thanks guys.

Im thinking a 1x12 with a closed back, and I was thinking of a RedCoat series speaker. Im not exactly sure though. Anyone have any personal preferences for 1x12 speakers?
vintage 30's probly, but who cares, its your cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I used a celestion G12 80 Classic Lead, but I think that might be overkill in your case. I think Vintage 30's are good, but if you have any you like, go for it.
actually, i hear eminence (sp?) speakers are really good value for money, much more so than celestions. haven't used them myself, but thats the word on the street.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
get celestian speakers, you'll never regret it. maby build a 2X12 cab with 2 vintage 30's, it would scream, then maby even double and get 2 valve junior heads and put 10 watts through it, that would be sweet. but you should definately make a 2X12 because you can get enough power handling to use other amps with it not just a valve junior head.
Quote by vampwizzard
Thanks guys.

Im thinking a 1x12 with a closed back, and I was thinking of a RedCoat series speaker. Im not exactly sure though. Anyone have any personal preferences for 1x12 speakers?

I play my Valve Junior into a semi-open back 2x12" cab with Celestion 70 80's, and I love it.
Use birch for the wood man... MDF gives a dead tone, birch is more resonant and full sounding
15 ply birch 1x12 with a Celestion Greenback, with a half open back goes pretty good with VJ heads.