well av been playin guitar for about 1 year now and i never used a metronom, but now all sites suggested that i do..soo when i did i didnt understand..like how do i determine my speed to it..or like...what does the beat represent, thanks
METAAALLLIIICCAAAA
I also have metronome issues, im not exactly sure how they work.
I am a good player and have good rhythm naturally, i am never accused of being out of time however i'd like to learn to use a metronome properly.
Basically, a metronome produces a steady click at a speed you choose. It's measured in beats per minute (bpm), so 60 bpm is one click per second.

If you play:

One note every four clicks, you are playing whole notes.
Two notes every four clicks, you are playing half notes.
One note every click, you are playing quarter notes.
Two notes every click, you are playing eighth notes.
Four notes every click, you are playing sixteenth notes.
Eight notes every click, you are playing thirty-second notes.

And so on.

Playing along scales using a metronome greatly helps your timing and beats it into your head.

I find it somewhat awkward to play along with songs using a metronome, but that's probably just me.
What should someone start off at? 16th notes? 1/4 notes? I am trying to do 16th notes (never used a metronome before) and currently can only achieve 60bpm doing 16th notes, thanks!
work your way up starting at quarter notes to get your timing down and then move up to 8ths then triplets then 16ths. an easy tempo to start at would be about 75.
Quote by HxC Til The End
work your way up starting at quarter notes to get your timing down and then move up to 8ths then triplets then 16ths. an easy tempo to start at would be about 75.

Or you could also try sixteenth notes at a slow tempo. Speed's not measured in what type of note you can do at what bpm, it's measured in notes per second.

But remember to move on after you have it down cleanly and can play it without any buzzed/dead notes or without missing a note Speed comes from accuracy.
I can do sixteenth notes doing (the chromatic scale???) on 76. Is that bad?

That's the thing I was talking about:

e|-------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
G|------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
D--------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
A|-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
It's only bad if you think it is bad--we all progress at different paces with different amounts of practice, and different lengths of playing. Just go for it and do the best you can do. But if you just got there, congrats

Comparing yourself to others might lower your self esteem.

/cliched response

EDIT:

Yes, that's the chromatic scale.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
It's only bad if you think it is bad--we all progress at different paces with different amounts of practice, and different lengths of playing. Just go for it and do the best you can do. But if you just got there, congrats

Comparing yourself to others might lower your self esteem.

/cliched response

EDIT:

Yes, that's the chromatic scale.

The chromatic scale can be altered to run from 1-12 down and back on each string though can't it?

and uhm..just curious, but what number can you do 16th on?
im not sure what you mean by "what number can you do a 16th on?". but yeah chromatic scale is every note on the fretboard.
What bpm can you do 16th notes on with the tab I just wrote?

EDIT: Also, I start my first note on the click...so naturally every 1, there is a click on, is that wrong/right?
ummm.....about 220 or faster.....my metronome only goes up to 208 so im just guessing...i might be faster. and thats about 14-15 notes per second.

edit: if you are playing on clicks you are playing quarter notes.

if you play on clicks and 1 between clicks you are playing eighth notes.

if you play on the click and 3 notes between clicks you are playing 16th notes.

if you play on the click and 2 notes between clicks you are playing triplets.
Last edited by HxC Til The End at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
What bpm can you do 16th notes on with the tab I just wrote?

EDIT: Also, I start my first note on the click...so naturally every 1, there is a click on, is that wrong/right?

16th notes would be like this (a "C" is when the click sounds):

C         C         C         C
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4
yeah i can...it just takes alot of work. its obtainable if thats how fast you want to go. but DONT RUSH YOURSELF DONT PLAY FASTER THAN YOUR HANDS CAN GO. this develops really bad habits and your accuracy becomes crap when you have to play faster.

^ what he said is a much better explanation of what i said.
woah woah woah....Why can I play 16th notes on 80 something just picking down...I thought alternate picking was better?
80 bpm is nothing. its relatively slow. like 1.333 notes a second. and alternate picking is not necesarrily better. they give to different sounds. down picking gives a chug and alternate picking is more for speed. but if you want to hear fast down picking listen to Master of Puppets. which is 220 bpm, with 8th note down picking.
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
woah woah woah....Why can I play 16th notes on 80 something just picking down...I thought alternate picking was better?

You can play it any way you want.

Yes, alternate picking is more efficient to most, though.

Wait, why can you play 16th notes just down picking? Only you can answer that...because you can? lol *shrug*
Quote by HxC Til The End
80 bpm is nothing. its relatively slow. like 1.333 notes a second.

really?

you mind giving me the formula to that?
you take the bpm of what you're playing and divide it by 60 (cause 60 seconds in a minute so each second is a beat) and then multiply by the type of note you're playing. so

80 bpm / 60 = 1.333 x 4 = 5.12-something.

yeah i forgot to multiply by the type of note before.lol. the value of the notes are:

quarter = 1
eighth = 2
triplet = 3
sixteenth = 4
32nd = 8
**** metrenomes hah
If a bunch of people say you suck at rhthym then do it. but if you got no problems dont bother.
Its not necessary.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
**** metrenomes hah
If a bunch of people say you suck at rhthym then do it. but if you got no problems dont bother.
Its not necessary.

a metronome isn't necessary to become competent, but it's REQUIRED to become what you might call an exceptional guitarist. not even just to improve your timing, but also to improve the quality of your practice sessions.