I was wondering, what is the best way to anchor your picking (my right) hand on a Squier Strat? So far I've found that putting my pinky under the pickup closest to the bridge is decent, but it still somewhat limits motion, and also I sometimes accidently adjust the volume knob. Anyone have any tips? If you can, give me as much info as possible, I want to get my positioning right before I start practicing it wrong. Thanks.
Don't anchor. Anchoring inhibits movement. If you hover above the strings, you can play **** better.
Oh crap!
I usually play just hovering over the body of the guitar, but I've heard that both accuracy and speed increase with anchoring. Also, I know that practice makes perfect, but practicing the wrong thing might make me a better player in the short term, but if I get it right the first time then there will be more benefits later on (if i reach the peak of playing with a poorer technique I might be fast, but to get faster I will have to unlearn that and get the right technique).
I always just put the middle of my palm right on the top corner of the bridge, and when I need to go to a higher string lift my palm and place my pinky a kind of on the pick gaurd, but it's like they say the best way is the way that you feel most comfortable.
Quote by craigr
I usually play just hovering over the body of the guitar, but I've heard that both accuracy and speed increase with anchoring. Also, I know that practice makes perfect, but practicing the wrong thing might make me a better player in the short term, but if I get it right the first time then there will be more benefits later on (if i reach the peak of playing with a poorer technique I might be fast, but to get faster I will have to unlearn that and get the right technique).

You have it the wrong way round my friend.

Accuracy, relaxtion, speed, articulation, movement, economy... all that can be improved and reach higher levels with an un-anchored picking hand.

Quote by astrocreep71
I always just put the middle of my palm right on the top corner of the bridge, and when I need to go to a higher string lift my palm and place my pinky a kind of on the pick gaurd, but it's like they say the best way is the way that you feel most comfortable.

'They' are wrong.
I've tried on the bridge too, but then I end up playing too close to the bridge, giving a much tinnier sound, in order to be able to reach all of the strings at once.
Ah, now I understand you JohnJones, I thought you meant that there is no way to practice wrong. By the way, is your avatar of just an Egyptian symbol, or is it referring to the Alan Parsons Project?
Never ever anchor even if Yngwie does it.

well I rest my fleshy part of my palm on the lower strings to mute them when I am not playing the lower strings and I move my palm slightly to play the lower strings, easy PM and no messy playing, touche.
Though some argue it's anchoring, I rest my picking hand on the bridge. This helps mute any unwanted sympathy ringing from the other strings. Just make sure it doesn't stay in one place. If you move down a string your hand moves with it while lightly resting on the bridge. The pinky thing I agree is just wrong.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
You shouldn't anchor. It restricts your movement. If people say "Whatever is comfortable", then most of the time, they haven't even given not anchoring a chance.

But anyway, just try to hover your picking hand slightly above the strings and not rest it on the body of the guitar. That'll increase friction and make it harder to move quickly.