If you read my latest 'dumb idea' thread, youd know im trying to make the most powerful distortion I can for a bet.

Personally, I like the way the JCM is set up, 3 frickin volumes, and control over every lil aspect of the tone. But what Im wondering is if its as powerful as the Thunderchief. From the looks of it, it should be MORE powerful, but Ive heared good things on the Thunderchief.

Ok so my real question is... have any of you tried the JCM 800, would u call it like uber-powerful?
JCM800's are VERY powerfull amps, but you can find more gain/distortion in other, more modern, amps. JCM800's have the most balls out of any amp I've ever tried though
or you can buy like 10 fuzz pedals and have them all in a chain to get some sort of severely distorted noise
3 friggen volumes?
This is totally irrelevant? I don't really understand your question.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yea the volume controls on most of the pedals only control how loud the pedal is going to be. If you put its volume on 2, its not like the real amp, its not going to push tubes, its going to be very quiet. So your not making much sence. And plus, those 2 circuits are mildly hard...
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
3 friggen volumes?
This is totally irrelevant? I don't really understand your question.

he might be talking about two pre-amp volumes for each channel and one master volume, I don't know.
god JCM, it's completely killer, and if its not high gain enough you can probably cahnge some diodes or transistors or something to completely smahs it to pieces
Well, I kinda wrote that when I was exausted so its fine if you didnt understand. call1800 gave me those two link and I was planning on making the Thunderchief but I really like the way the JCM is set up too, but I just wasnt sure if it sounds as nice as the Thunderchief. The PCB is nice and easy to use, and it looks like it would have a bit more power.

thesumoftwo: what kind of diodes or transitors can I change? Thats pretty much what I was looking to do, make the gain way too strong is all.
^---absinthe- the JCM800 and Thundercheif are basically the same circuit with a few mods. you can use any NPN transistor (2N7000, 2N5088, 2N5089 [higher gain 2N5088], J201 [usually lower gain, but sometimes you have to use this if required for best sound], etc...) for diodes, just switch around with different ones (1N4001, 1N34 [germanium], 1N4148/1N914, etc.)
^--No, I never said that. I said you may be able to do that, but the sound may be bad if you do it. It may turn out better, or worse. Socket the transistors so you can try different ones.

100ks???? What? You talking about the pots? If so, leave the pot values the same.

Like I said, you can change diodes, but not all will work. Socket the transistors and diodes so you can start with what they tell you to use to make sure the circuit works, then switch them to see if you can get a better sound.
No not the pots, I got confused on their schematic, the arrow on the 100k resistor looked like a diode sign. I know not to touch those.

Also my trouble is, with the thunderchief, Im not sure where to put some of the things, like the footswitch, should I put it in cutting off the power to the whole circuit, or cutting off the input to the circuit?

And with the diagram at the bottom of the page (ive decided to just use pre-holed perfboard to save time) should I wire the volume 3 lug to the pot, volume 1 to ground and volume 2 to the output? Ive tried comparing this diagram to others but theres still a bunch of holes they dont explain.

p.s. thanks for putting up with my n00bness, im sure im close to intolerabley dumb by now.
perfect... any help on installing an LED?

Im just sorta doing some double-checks on my knowlege so I dont make any dumb mistakes. On the rest of the lugs on the volume and gain controls, do I just wire them to grounds? And with the out on the diagram verson of the Thunderchief, where the heck is the "out" it seems to all just go in a big circle.

Again, you are helping me more than you will ever know. Thank you.
Use the 3PDT switch layout for an LED.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/tc-pcb.pdf <--That is the PCB layout you can use on a PCB or a perfboard, and it has the In and Out and all.

Oh, and no problem. People on here are here to help others out .
I wouldnt know where to hook up the volume and gain from the PCB layout tho. Plus I dont have the chemicals, or a toner printer.

Also, should I hook up a 2.2k to the LED, or will it be fine hooked up directly?
Last edited by absinthe5765 at Aug 12, 2006,
You dont need to etch the board, just use a perfboard and use wires to connect it like the PCB layout. And it shows where the pots go right on the layout... The 3 lugged things at the top at trimpots, and the two other 3 lugged things (not the transistors), are the pots.

Use a 2.2k-4.7k resistor depending on the color LED you use. What color are you using?
Uhh...
If the circuits are what I remember them to be, there are no diodes.
And they get distortion from clipping the jfets, you need the j201s or other jfets, bipolar transistors won't do what you want.
"On the rest of the lugs wire them to ground."
Uhh, no? Why would you wire something to ground that wouldn't be drawn as marked to ground???
I also don't exactly reccomend using rectifier diodes for clipping...LOL.
For LEDs, anything over a 1k should work ok, but I use a 2.2 or so. The higher the value, the less bright.

What a n00bfest...
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Uhh...
If the circuits are what I remember them to be, there are no diodes.
And they get distortion from clipping the jfets, you need the j201s or other jfets, bipolar transistors won't do what you want.
"On the rest of the lugs wire them to ground."
Uhh, no? Why would you wire something to ground that wouldn't be drawn as marked to ground???
I also don't exactly reccomend using rectifier diodes for clipping...LOL.
For LEDs, anything over a 1k should work ok, but I use a 2.2 or so. The higher the value, the less bright.

What a n00bfest...

Alright, they say nothing on what to do with the rest of the lugs in any of the schematics or diagrams, so it was just a guess. Yes I am a n00b but im sure at one point you didnt know how to do this stuff either.
if it doesnt say anything about the other lugs, dont touch em. Ignore pink, he likes annoying n00bs, he knows his stuff though
Can I see the schems?
hmmm, i think the answer lies in the fact that one of the other lugs, probably two goes tot he output jack, but dont hold me to it, im still relatively new at this.
Look at the schematic, not the layout! The schematic is 10x easier to work off once you understand how they work.
It shows all the lugs.

The answer is right there.
but its in some foreign language!

Im only building this one pedal then thats probably it. I understand 90% of it, I just find the diagram very very easy to understand. Just help me through this one, and Ill be outta your hair.

EDIT: Looking over the schematic, it does say everything, ur right. Ill order the parts.
Last edited by absinthe5765 at Aug 14, 2006,