HOw do you make a riff?

And I'm not talking about chords either. Like for instance, something like the intro of "Hells Bells" by AC/DC.

Thanks,
RA
You must either
A) Know music theory a little
or
B) Wing it.

After you pick one, then you proceed to apply your current knowledge, and tinker around with the guitar. Try to play a riff you like, and modify it note by note, or smoething. Keep doing this with a bunch of riffs, and then start making like reveresed versions, and then try to add to them, and eventually you will get riffs within your own style. Either that, or mess around on the keyboard, as all you need to get riffs from that is a good ear.
Notes that sound good together??? I have no idea what you're talking about really....like how do you write a song ect? Chords that go good together, scales ect ect.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Oh and also, when you first make up a neat riff, play it over and over till you memorize it, and then stop immediately, or else you will get tired of it, and later on think that it was a crappy riff, when it could sound like heaven to other people. Do this to keep it fresh to yourself
Mainly just messing around. Noticing what bands you listen to are doing, maybe with the song in the backgroung for ideas. Looking at simple scales in a book can't hurt either.
Spongerob47
just play around with a scale or a couple notes of a chord
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
when i get bored, i sometimes hum a melody and then i take out my cell phone and record it me humming it...then i just translate to my guitar. i do the same with solos sometimes...i sometime play my chord progression then just record whatever comes to me to my phone and i make a solo out of it later...some consider it stupid hahaha
^^ This is also a good idea, except I use a cassettee voice recorder thing that fits in my pocket, because phones arent allowed in my school lol. I also do this for vocals and stuff.
I do that for vocals/guitar all the time
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by insideac
Oh and also, when you first make up a neat riff, play it over and over till you memorize it, and then stop immediately, or else you will get tired of it, and later on think that it was a crappy riff, when it could sound like heaven to other people. Do this to keep it fresh to yourself

ok this is a major statement right here. it's so true. like this is my huuuuge problem. im a fan of improvising tap riffs, so i'll play one, memorize it, and then wayy overplay it. so then when people want to hear me play something, im like 'oh yeah there's that ****ty thing' and then when i replay it they're totally impressed. and im lucky if i even remember it. i have to like tab out everything and label them as good sounding because i wont know after i've repeated it a certain number of times. it REALLY sucks.
Try to hear it in your head, then bring it to the guitar. This can also help your ear.
Current Equipment:

Ibanez SZ 520
Peavey Bandit Selling
Pro Co Turbo RAT Selling
Digitech RP300A Selling

PM For Details.
Take your influences and see what they do on the riffs that you like. You might come up with something, might not.. on a good day you can make countless riffs that sound great, so remember to record them :-) I think from a riff or idea you can make a song, atleast thats the easiest way for me.
nice advice guys.

I suggest using a scale and build a riff just from the notes in that scale.
When you get good at this add in little half steps to make it sound more evil, of hard rockish

good scales to learn:
A minor
C minor
A pentatonic

those are some good scales to start with

hope dat helps
I just play around with the guitar a bit. Then suddenly i find a good riff, and then a whole song is built around it
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
I'm a fan of improvising a riff. Then I find the key and start on writing a song.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Quote by redstapler1228
where do guitar solos come from

LOL

regarding riffs: sometimes they're chords sometimes they'r single notes (duh)

sometimes you can take the riff and move it vertically across the strings, or horizontally up and down the neck. Voila, a song emerges.

examples:
DayTripper - Beatles
Rock and Roll - Led Zep
Heartbreaker - Led Zep
You Really Got Me - Kinks, Van Halen
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Sunshine of your Love - Cream
Texas Flood - SRV
This Love - Pantera

etc