I've been looking at getting effects for a while now, and haven't been sure on if I should go with a multi effects unit like a POD, or go with good individual pedals.

I've finally come to the realization that a POD or something similar just isn't for me. I was looking at it to hopefully improve the sound on my MG, but I've realised that I'm not going to have an MG forever and eventually I'll want the real deal pedals anyway.

So, now I need to know what pedals to get. I don't plan on buying them all at once, but over the next few months. I play a lot of different types of music. Pretty much anything except metal, classical, and country.

For starters, I want a good overdrive or distortion pedal that is REALLY versatile. I want to get *slight* distortion, all the way to somewhat heavy distortion with it.

I'd also like to get a good Wah. Would the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q be a good choice, or are there better Wah's out there?

What other effects would be considered "necessary" for a good, versatile pedalboard?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I think delay is essential. It can do anything from slightly colour your sound to make it sound bigger and fuller to full on crazy echo stuff. Any of the Boss delay pedals are good and so are the Line 6's.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
boss ds-1 for distortion
and i perfer the vox wahs
(im buying one tommorow )
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
BOSS BD-2 for starters and maybe an SD-1 or OD-3. I've got a Dunlop Crybaby Original and it's good, but I've never tried a different one. And lastly a compression sustainer.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Whatever you do, don't go cheap. Don't buy the Boss DS-1. Not many pedals under $100 are worth it unless you get them modded.
Yes-I'm not planning on the Boss DS-1. I've heard it's a good *starter* pedal, but not much better than that.

I want a GOOD distortion/OD pedal. Not just the cheapest there is. I'm not saying I want some insanely expensive pedal, just something good that I'm not going to have to upgrade from in a few months.

As for a delay, I was thinking about that. What kinds would you guys recommend? Is the Ibanez DE7 any good?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
That dr. jeckyl and mister hyde pedal has a lot of versatility for distortion,and a boss chorus for cleantones
Have you tried a Tech 21 "American Woman" overdrive? It's versatile, but was designed to replicate Randy's tone. And you gotta admit, thats one great tone.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Dude, I play a Les Paul Classic, I got the Line 6 2.0(Alot better than the XT, doesn't sound as digital) and it is amazing. The crappy part is that it doesn't have a wah effect, but you can get just about any other sound. I get everything from Slash, to Eric Clapton. I play out of a Randall RG75, which isn't that great, but with the POD, I can choose a Marshall cab and head, and it's amazing how it can scream. Infact my amp level is always on 3 and I normally use it on stage in a hall that holds about 80 people. I got it off of ebay for $150 and it came with the FB4 pedal. Trust me, it's worth it!
^Still, I'd prefer individual pedals. That way I can pick and choose what I want instead of having to settle for some things I like and some I don't.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Anyone else have suggestions?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Line6 DL4 is supposed to be a killer delay on par with boss's DD6 and DD20.

a 535q is a good piece of pedal.

im looking into a big muff myself, supposedly the USA one can go fram a *gasp* rather subtle tone to a bretty heavy Muff; check that out.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Some UGers say the Russian one is better
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If I were planning on a nice mid gain tube amp down the road, I would probably go -> Ibanez TS9, Maxon OD808, or Xotic RC Booster, AC Booster for overdrive + small clone chorus or H2O Chorus echo\delay + DL-4 or H2O + some kind of compressor, like maybe a dynacomp, or something fancy like a Keeley compressor.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I spent a while last night looking at some Electro-Harmonics pedals and from the clips, they sounded pretty amazing. What do you guys think of these? I know the Big Muff Pi is good, but which other ones are good?

Also, how well will an OD pedal like a Tube Screamer work with a Solid State amp or a modelling amp? I know it will shine with a tube amp, but how will it work with other amps?

So far I'm thinking of a pedal for each of these effects;

Distortion/OD
Wah
Delay
Chorus

What other effects should I look at? I already plan to buy a Danelectro French Toast fuzz/octave pedal, which from the clips I've listened to sounds amazing.

Will I need a noise gate of some kind? Also, what's a good tuner pedal?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
get zvex effects get the fuzz factory for your gain. or get the boss ds-2 and a maxon od-9 tubescreamer
Quote by Gibson_Rocker
get zvex effects get the fuzz factory for your gain. or get the boss ds-2 and a maxon od-9 tubescreamer

Zvex pedals are very expensive and take a while for them to send out because of their waiting list. I think my next few pedal builds are going to be the Zvex Fuzz Factory and the Zvex Super Hard On Deluxe (Double).
Quote by Newyawker4life
Dude, I play a Les Paul Classic, I got the Line 6 2.0(Alot better than the XT, doesn't sound as digital) and it is amazing. The crappy part is that it doesn't have a wah effect, but you can get just about any other sound. I get everything from Slash, to Eric Clapton. I play out of a Randall RG75, which isn't that great, but with the POD, I can choose a Marshall cab and head, and it's amazing how it can scream. Infact my amp level is always on 3 and I normally use it on stage in a hall that holds about 80 people. I got it off of ebay for $150 and it came with the FB4 pedal. Trust me, it's worth it!

dude wth, individual pedals are better. You probably never tried single effects pedals. Second, it sounds like to show off your guitar.
I'm not interested in extremely expensive pedals - Just good ones that won't leave my wallet empty.

What would be the best option for a Distortion/OD pedal? That's what I'm looking at getting first. Like I said, I want something very versatile.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i have personally been looking at the boss os-2, which is a combination of the od-1 and the ds-1, with a little nob called 'color' to change between distortion and overdrive. however, i am not sure about reliability or quality, since i am just looking right now.
There is also the boss line of double pedals for distortion, the OD-20 Drive Zone and the GP-20 Amp Factory, which are like multi-fx for distortion only
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Distortion / Overdrive - ProCo RAT.

Extremly versatile, needs a bit of playing with to get the tone your looking for, BUT if you take the time to play and get YOUR sound - its an awsome pedal.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
get the Jekyll and Hyde pedal, th Jekyll and OD and the Hyde is Distortion, there's seperate buttons for each and you can play both at the same time for some good lead stuff, look on eBay for one.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Line6 crunchtone
Line6 dr.distorto
^Quite expensive but good value
For wah go for the jim dunlop slash wah or any other jim dunlops. I like vox personally but have been told jim dunlop are good.
The marshall echohead is not top of the range however it is good value for money.
Having not tried it I can't give you an informed opinion of it but on specs and reviews I second the guy a few posts above me for the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal. It's an overdrive and distortion in one and is pretty good value considering it is basically 2 pedals in one.

If you're in the US, they go for about $140 new I believe.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
xenn, you seem like you're interested in pro equipment. i swear by anything modded or made by keeley.

i have a modded pro co rat and a BD-2 from keeley. they both rip. i'm also planning on buying a keeley delay, compressor, and wah. that's how much i love these things.

sure, they're not cheap, but form the way you sound, you want the best. keeley is it.

EDIT: though, you do need a tube amp before you buy anything. no pedal will be at it's fullest potential without a good amp. heres the link to keeley
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
i did read a few reviews though that the Jekyll pedal can be pretty noisy though, but if you get a decent Noise Gate you should be set.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
DunlopGuy, I'd definetly consider Keeley mods once I get a tube amp. For now I just want the basic pedals though.

So far, I think I'm going for the Pro Co RAT for distortion/OD.

Now, for the Wah. What do you guys suggest? I've heard good things about both the Vox Wah's and the Dunlop Wah's - My question is what's the best out of them?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar