what are emgs? i here people talking about them all the time, i've seen em, but how do they work?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
EMG's are active pickups that require an onboard power source (9v batteries) and give a more richer sound, most guitars come with passive pickups, EMG's are active pickups, they are much more versatile and usually the 81/85 or the 81/60 combos are used for heavy metal.

you install them onto your guitar by replacing your old pickup, look at your guitar, see those bars underneath the string between the bridge and the start of the fretboard? those are pickups, most guitars have 2-3 of them, EMG combos (at least the ones I've seen/heard of) are almost always 2 EMG pickups.
Basically Electric Pickups that run wireless most of the time...

Their sound is incredible with the right setup.

But it sucks because they're run down really easy..
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
any problems with them?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Sean-Man
any problems with them?

Many EMG pickups are active (including the 81, 85, and 60, three of the most used), meaning they need a battery. If your guitar body ins't routed correctly, you need to have some more wood cut out to fit in the batteries.

Also, EMG's aren't exact renowned for their clean tones. If you're just doing straight metal and nothing else, they're pretty fantastic, though.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by esp_shredder
Basically Electric Pickups that run wireless most of the time...

Their sound is incredible with the right setup.

But it sucks because they're run down really easy..

wtf do you mean wireless? alot pf pups are run wireless-

and they dont run down very easily- ive had the same battery in my schecter for near 4 months- and it still sounds ****ing great

also- they are quite versatile- i use a 81/85 set up to play blues- usually wiht the 85.

but i have a guitar with 81/sa/60- which i use for hard rock- but also cleans- the 60 and sa sound really good together
yeah and some people like me really don't like them, the 85 and the 60 are OK, but IMO a broomstick with the 81 glued on will sound the quite the same as a LP with that same pickup ... yeah I don't like them.
They're not at all versatile compared to a decent set of passives...mainly because of the cleans.

They sound like **** without a good amp. You need a high end tube amp. Otherwise, they're crap. And if you have a nice amp, they're only good for heavy distortion, cleans are pretty much terrible...

And about the power source, the're wound with few winds, so they need a preamp to boost the signal.

You can get much better pickups than EMG's for the price.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
well, ya- but there not emg's

and i love the cleans on my 85 when o roll off the treble a little- and throw on some mid n bass- extremely smooth sound man- and thats wiht a 30 watt carsbro- its just heaven with my musicman

but the 81 isnt my fav- it does lead very well- for metal- but i like even my metal leads to have less bite- and be smooth- so i stick with the 85 most the time