Page 1 of 2
Straight to the point, I have a fuggin huge budget, and I want an appropriate amp to spend it on.

Money is not a problem, seeing as I'll be hard pressed to find an amp that costs more than 10 grand (AUD).

I play metal. Lot's of it. So of course I'm after something that's so loud your ears will leak bodily fluids from total mindgasm (Zeppelin concerts, anyone?).

And yeah, of course I want nice cleans. You need a break from the distorted brutality every now and then.

SO. What say you? I've got the money, I've got a basic know-how on what's sh*t, but not what's great. But I'm sure the rest of you do.

Suggest away!
Diezel Herbert (well, or a VH4)
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+
Bogner Uberschall (Cleans aren't amazing though)
ENGL SE (Or a Blackmore, maybe a Powerball)
VHT UL (Or a CL even)
Mesa/Boogie Roadking series II

umm... I really could go on forever.
Last edited by electrik at Aug 12, 2006,
Mesa Dual Recto or a Tripple Recto
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by electrik
Diezel Herbert.

More?
Bogner Uberschall
ENGL SE
VHT UL
Mesa Roadking series II

Hot damn, gotta love them Diezels.

Your personal choice outa the ones you listed would be...?

Quote by LethalAe86TypeR
Mesa Dual Recto or a Tripple Recto

Mmmhmm. Sex in amp form right there.

I'll wait for more suggestions before I start asking questions.
your a rich bastard lol. people can get big enuf amps for 2-300$ if you know the right people
- tommy
Quote by Kikuta
Hot damn, gotta love them Diezels.

Your personal choice outa the ones you listed would be...?

I'll wait for more suggestions before I start asking questions.

Caught me between an edit.

My personal choice huh...

I'd have to say I'd really love a Boogie IIC+ (well, I have a IV already, but hey), or a Herbie. I'd like an ENGL Blackmore too, which is significantly less expensive than the rest of them.
Quote by tombomb22
your a rich bastard lol. people can get big enuf amps for 2-300$ if you know the right people

10000 bucks for guessing a sound. Life is good.

Keep in mind I'm not afraid to mix'n'match. Hell, if I can afford it, I could pull an Adam Jones (screwed if I know anyone else that does it) and use more than one amp).
Alot and alot of Cube 30Ws and lots of paper clips, oh yea, and lots of cables to make it super stereo.
Buy a Bogner Ubershall halfstack, and an Orange halfstack, and then buy an ABY pedal and use the Orange for cleans and the Bogner for distortion.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Last edited by pullmeunder at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by pullmeunder
Buy a Bogner Ubershall halfstack, and an Orange halfstack, and then buy an ABY pedal and use the Orange for cleans and the Marshall for distortion.

Any chance of getting some links to what you had in mind?

Never played an Orange before...
Quote by pullmeunder
Buy a Bogner Ubershall halfstack, and an Orange halfstack, and then buy an ABY pedal and use the Orange for cleans and the Marshall for distortion.

That sounded good untill you threw Marshall into the mix...

Um yeah...basically...and honestly...I dont believe you on this whole 10grand thing...but for the sake of the thread....GET OUT THERE AND TRY THESE OUT!!! Dont be asking us when youre thinking about those kind of amps man. And if you have that much to blow on an amp then you have enough to travel to find the right one.
You really should go to an amp maker and get it custom made, really, people with that much money shouldn't be here over UG to ask what they should do with it.
Besides the ones already mentioned, also check out the Framus Dragon and Cobra. They have a nice tight gain, and very nice cleans for being high gain heads. A lot of bands will combine amps too, like it seems like a lot metal bands use 5150's in combination with other amps to double/triple/etc track on their albums. Andy Sneap, producer for KSE, Trivium, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Opeth, etc.., uses original 5150's, JCM800's, Mesa Rectifiers, and Kranks to reamp the DI tracks that bands send him. A lot of the tone you hear on their albums has his fingerprints on it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Pieter-Jan
You really should go to an amp maker and get it custom made, really, people with that much money shouldn't be here over UG to ask what they should do with it.

Quote by kurdtkobaign

Um yeah...basically...and honestly...I dont believe you on this whole 10grand thing...but for the sake of the thread....GET OUT THERE AND TRY THESE OUT!!! Dont be asking us when youre thinking about those kind of amps man. And if you have that much to blow on an amp then you have enough to travel to find the right one.

Of course I'm going to go and try these amps out! Seriously fellas, I'm not going to walk into a store and just outright say "I'm a rich b*tch, what you got I can waste my money on?". I'm here asking about WHAT I should be trying out, and what not to waste time on.

Quote by Erock503
Besides the ones already mentioned, also check out the Framus Dragon and Cobra. They have a nice tight gain, and very nice cleans for being high gain heads. A lot of bands will combine amps too, like it seems like a lot metal bands use 5150's in combination with other amps to double/triple/etc track on their albums. Andy Sneap, producer for KSE, Trivium, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Opeth, etc.., uses original 5150's, JCM800's, Mesa Rectifiers, and Kranks to reamp the DI tracks that bands send him. A lot of the tone you hear on their albums has his fingerprints on it.

That's the ticket. I'll definately be trying some mix'n'match combos when i'm trying all this **** out.
if you want an amp for full out distorion and nice cleans, maybe have one for dirty sounds and one amp for clean sounds and A/B them?
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
Quote by aussieguitarman
if you want an amp for full out distorion and nice cleans, maybe have one for dirty sounds and one amp for clean sounds and A/B them?

Yeah, I'm most likely going for that approach. It seems logical to get the best of each, rather than settle for the lesser of one.

So yeah, I'll definately try out the Diezel Herbert and see what else I can get my hands on.
^fenders are meant to be good cleans, as are vox ac series
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
Quote by electrik
Diezel Herbert (well, or a VH4)
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+
Bogner Uberschall (Cleans aren't amazing though)
ENGL SE (Or a Blackmore, maybe a Powerball)
VHT UL (Or a CL even)
Mesa/Boogie Roadking series II

i'll second that list (and the go on for ever sentiments), especially the herbert since it's 180 watts.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
who needs 180 watts?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ exactly, he said he wanted volume...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ exactly, he said he wanted volume...

Yeah, I'm so sick of this "you only need 50 watts tube anything over that is overkill" bullshlt.
Quote by electrik
Yeah, I'm so sick of this "you only need 50 watts tube anything over that is overkill" bullshlt.

to be honest, if you're worried about volume, you need to be looking at amps that are under 1 watt. It's not like a 30 watt amp is going to be quiet enough to crank if you share any walls with your neighbours...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be honest, if you're worried about volume, you need to be looking at amps that are under 1 watt. It's not like a 30 watt amp is going to be quiet enough to crank if you share any walls with your neighbours...

Yeah or **** that, get a POD or somthing. A lot of high wattage tube amps sound great at low volumes anyways, especially high end ones.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
That sounded good untill you threw Marshall into the mix...

OOPS, yeah I edited the first amp, it was a Marshall DSL 100. But I realized that he needed a more metal sound. I R sry.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Quote by electrik
Yeah or **** that, get a POD or somthing. A lot of high wattage tube amps sound great at low volumes anyways, especially high end ones.

aye, but they still sound better up full...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!
Ecstasy that is, or for a more metal sound, the Uberschall.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orro100he.html
That's the orange head I would get if I had the money, and use that for cleans
and get an ABY pedal and use this amp
http://www.wildwestguitars.com/bognerhome.htm
for distortion. With a Gibson Explorer as my main guitar, oh man, that's one rig that will make me completely happy.
\
EDIT: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-ABY-Channel-Switcher?sku=150757
ABY pedal, btw

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Last edited by pullmeunder at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by electrik

ENGL( maybe a Powerball)

Revised.

Cleans? Check

Skull-Crushingly heavy distortion? Check

Hmm. It seems like we have a winner.

If you were to suggest a bogner I'd go with an Esctacy over an Uberschall, far far more versitile. Blows the uberschall right out of the water.
I wouldn't go to UG for these recomendations. We aren't really rich over here.
i know he doesn't need a 180 watts but thats just...wait he's got 10,000.....why do i care?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
hey if you have any extra cash, mind buying me some cables and 2 direct boxes?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Quote by SolidxSnake
Mark VC+

Beat out John Petrucci LMFAO!

"When I do this I go into world domination mode..."

This knob controls how hot the sun is...
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
With that money you could buy a group of people to yell out the notes you're playing
Page 1 of 2