I was just watching this video from the Fender 50th birthday concert, and was wondering what the guitarist is doing to create that high pitched screech at the end of the solo (1:17), and why was it necessary to cross his arms like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBUmYTjybE#

Anyone able to help me out?

Screenshot attached for the dialuppers
Attachments:
gilmourscreech.jpg
behind the nut bends and pinch harmonics, it looks like
<Han> I love Hitler
i didnt wait for the entire thing to laod, but im going to take a wild guess and say that he might be using an e-bow. im not completely sure tho
does anyone find the place where the mic is funny?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
it looks like hes doing a pinch harmonic past the nut and using his right hand to control the whammy bar
he just picks the string behind the nut and dives the bar...
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
David Gilmour is awesome, that's how.

It looks like he's playing on the strings above the nut.

What was it that he used in Marooned? Wasn't it some weird octave pedal or something like that? I don't know if that is along the same lines.

EDIT: yeah, its definately not the octave pedal.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
My opinion (and I could certainly be wrong, I'm not that great at guitar) is that it looks like he moved his hand to use his left on the tremolo, and then he just struck the strings behind the nut (is that what its called?) up near the tuning pegs. It got a sound similar to the beginning to Nirvana's "You Know You're Right", except that this was more of a screech because of his distortion and probably the tremolo. Again, I'm not saying I'm right because I have often proved myself to be an idiot.
^ you were also right but you could have just read my previous post here that was 2 posts above your first...
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
Yeah I love when he slams his guitar into the mic stand.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
ha well thats boring
zakk wylde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by sloppyjoe24
you can't trust girls on the internet because 75% of the time, they're actually men!
Why can't he do it normally with the right hands?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
He is doing it with the right hands. his right hand is picking behind the nut. His left is fretting/tremoloing.
#107 Member of the "Linkin Park Sucks" Club. PM Whstripesrox to join.