I just got off playing on my Ibanez. it sounded Suweettt in standard and Eb tuning but sounds like crap in drop d and c tuning. What could be the problem ? Is it a bad guitar? Or just a bad coincidence ?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
what gauge strings are you using?

thicker strings sound better when tuned lower.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I am using 10's. The strings are about a month or two old. I am tuning using a Planet waves tuner

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

it might need to be set up to play properly in those tunings
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Your intonation may need adjustments with different tunings
probably just need new strings that are of a heavy gague.
=deportivo=

"so this guy woke up with 6 different girls on 6 days of the week?"
"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
"...and on the seventh day he rested"
Quote by UNIe
Your intonation may need adjustments with different tunings

I got it setup by a professional luthier with these strings and he said that for standard or drop-d his setup is the same. I didnt tell him that I would be tuning it down to c, but maybe like you guys said, I need to change the gauge.

If I change the gauge, i would have to get it setup again right? Is there a way to setup the intonation yourself without shelling out $50 for the pro ?

thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

No, you don't have to set the intonation if you're switching too heavier strings. I got a schecter omen-6 a couple weeks ago, and it was good and all in standard. but it just didnt quite feel hard enough. I switched to ernie ball 13's. and It sounds so freakin awesome.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Well, you have a floating trem and those aren't really meant for alternate tunings. You should also replace those strings.
Quote by honkey
No, you don't have to set the intonation if you're switching too heavier strings. I got a schecter omen-6 a couple weeks ago, and it was good and all in standard. but it just didnt quite feel hard enough. I switched to ernie ball 13's. and It sounds so freakin awesome.

it's always a good idea to check the intonation. I always check my intonation everytime I change strings, and it does need adjustment every once in a while.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by honkey

Yes, you HAVE to change the intonation because the intonation ( the overall length of the strings ) is adjusted based on the gauge. Please look at this fender's website

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/lockingtremsetup.php

the intonation length is dependent on the string gauge. Of course, you cant make out the difference because we are talking in 0.0x inches difference, but trust me, it does make a difference.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by Erock503
it's always a good idea to check the intonation. I always check my intonation everytime I change strings, and it does need adjustment every once in a while.

As long as you dont change your gauge, you dont have to change the intonation. but its always recommended to get the guitar setup by a pro at least once an year since your neck might be affected by all the rough playing. The truss rod inside the neck, would need to be corrected once in a while so the neck will have the right "bow" shape.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Last edited by emperor_black at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Well, you have a floating trem and those aren't really meant for alternate tunings. You should also replace those strings.

really ?? No offence but, Sorry, I dont believe you. So you mean to say no guitarist out there has a floating trem with drop C tuning ?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

i've done floating and drop C, but my intonation gets all wonky. make sure you're taking out springs in the back when you drop tune. not all of em, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by emperor_black
I just got off playing on my Ibanez. it sounded Suweettt in standard and Eb tuning but sounds like crap in drop d and c tuning. What could be the problem ? Is it a bad guitar? Or just a bad coincidence ?

the guitar isnt that great first off....but thats not the problem (i dont think), the scale length should be long enough just....you might want thicker strings than 10s, more like .12s, for drop C anyway....d should be fine....perhaps the tuning is not accurate enough (no offence)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
the guitar isnt that great first off....but thats not the problem (i dont think), the scale length should be long enough just....you might want thicker strings than 10s, more like .12s, for drop C anyway....d should be fine....perhaps the tuning is not accurate enough (no offence)

ok, I will try with thicker gauge and remove springs at the back like tuba suggested. The tuner is Planet waves tuner. Professional quality with true hard bypass, blah blah .. I would be really mad if it wasn't tuning properly.

I know I cant compare my $350 guitar with a $1500 Jackson Soloist, but I think its a great guitar. I've had it for more than a year and I love it to death. Except the electronics which might need some upgrading. But its very quiet for a guitar in that price range and built very well with absolutely no flaws.... I could go on and on, but thanks for the advice.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by emperor_black
really ?? No offence but, Sorry, I dont believe you. So you mean to say no guitarist out there has a floating trem with drop C tuning ?

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. What I meant was most guitars with floating trems are set up and generally only stay in one tuning, be it standard or drop D or C.

Hence why guitarist's with double locking systems usually have many, many guitars.

Quote by wylde_overdrive
Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. What I meant was most guitars with floating trems are set up and generally only stay in one tuning, be it standard or drop D or C.

Hence why guitarist's with double locking systems usually have many, many guitars.

Gotcha! Sorry for taking it the wrong way. I wont mess with the guitar's tuning.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus