So I've narrowed the list down from 1 billion to two guitars. Here is the plan:

LTD Jeff Hanneman sig guitar stock: $950
Ibanez RG2570 w/ either EMG 81/S/60 or 81/S/85: $870+$270 (pups) = $1200 (after installation)

The reason I didn't choose the 1570 is because I also dislike the finish, and I really like the finish on the 2570, as well as the binding and inlays, so it would worth the $120 extra right off.

I like the ibanez because it has the best upper fret access, and a satin, unpainted neck. I'm not so sure about the basswood with these pups, I get mixed responses from people about ibanez and emgs. I'm not sure how well this guitar would handle rhythm either. To specify, I play metal, and pretty much all variants of it, but not really any other styles my lp couldn't handle. And I'm covered on amps (5150, dsl100, epi valve junior, crate ss). I'm not sure about the quality of the edge pro compared to the OFR on the Jeff Hanneman, but I would guess that it is better overall. Are the edge pro on the lower rg prestiges still hit and miss, or are they pretty much all quality trems?

As far as the JH-600 goes, I like the ebony fretboard, the pups, and the neck-thru for sustain and access as well. I don't know how much it would slow me down, being painted though. I haven't actually played a bolt-on for so long that I forgot what unpainted feels like! Also, I haven't played a guitar w/ an alder body, so I'm curious as to how accurately I could gauge the tone based on jeff's/kirk's tone. I really dig kirk's older tones, but I don't think his model has as many features as the JH-600. Also I like how the body is figured at the cutaways as well as behind the bridge. It looks like a really comfortable guitar. And it suits my needs right out of the box.

I basically just want the one that can give me the more "metal" tone that could give kickass lead and rhythm tones, and have the best playability for the features.

I guess I should also mention that I have small hands, but not really small. I can play my les paul fine, though it can get uncomfortable, and it forces me to do some crazy things with my thumb sometimes :P. But the profile between these necks is probably pretty similar I would assume.

I know both these guitars would suite me perfectly, I'd just like some input on who has dealt with either one of these, as I know the JH-600 is recently released and I can't get too much feedback on it.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Aug 12, 2006,
i would be wary since 5150 + emg + basswood = from what ive heard is not a combination you would wanna use. though id still go with the rg2570 but change them to different pickups
Alder is what Fenders are made of. really light tone, not suited to metal at all. Basswood is a much better choice for metal.. Mahogany beats them both.
If you want an alder guitar, go for the LTD M-400.

Although I'd recommend a mahogany one - the MH-400, also an LTD, is good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The JH has two EMGs sitting in a block of maple (neck-thru) with alder wings and ebony fretboard. Out of the box, that's the sharpest brightest cutting lead tone combination out there. If that's solely what you're after, it's probably not such a bad deal.

RG is much more balanced and versatile (since 2570 is essentially 1570 save for the finish).
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Ive had a blast on the Ltd JH and it sucks. It was really dead and toneless, Quality wise the Ibanez is loads better than the LTD, Go for the Ibanez.
if you're wary about the basswood, you might wanna look at like the ibanez s470. cheaper, and it's mahogany too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Alder is not suited to metal, first off.....basswood isnt really.....NOT WITH EMGs, it will sound completely, just horrible. Mahogany + EMGs = a O.K. But I would buy the Ibanez and NOT put EMGs in them, look for different very hot pickups..cos the ibanez will pwn in every other way...not being biased, its true LTD or Ibanez? it s a simple choice...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I'm just sayin, but there's also the schecter hellraiser
or the M-1000

but between those two, I'd say the JH-600, because you'd save yourself money NOT getting new pups, it's neck THROUGH, more unique inlays, and it's got Xjumbo frets, which (at least I think) play a lot better than jumbo
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Quote by J.MitMetallica
Alder is not suited to metal, first off.....basswood isnt really.....NOT WITH EMGs, it will sound completely, just horrible.

Tried? Almost certainly not.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Actually ESP says the m-1000 has an alder body w/ flamed maple top. Which by the way looks sweet.

I don't understand why everyone says alder is **** for metal, yet kirk hammett and jeff hanneman have $4000+ signature guitars w/ alder bodies, not to mention the jackson usa soloists are alder as well.

I'm moreso leaning towards the ltd jh-600, and I was going to try the kh-602, but it seems the m-1000 is better, so I'll add that to the list. I'm going to try a couple rg's as well, though it would cost me around $270-$300 more after pup change. I don't like having h/s/h pickup configuration, plus it would be trivial how active pups sound in basswood, though I need to get emgs in the guitar, and I would have to pay at least $1120 for a prestige rg that just has hh pup configuration, which would cost around $1400 after new pups, which some say would ultimately not sound great.

So basically I am only interested in the ibanez for the neck. But it seems LTD wins in every other category so far, I just need to see if the painted neck makes much of a diference for me. Too bad I don't have any dealers nearby that sell both ibanez and esp/ltd. Hell, I'd be hard-pressed to find the m-1000 or jh-600 in a store anyways.

Finally, to the person who said they have played a jh-600, how does it feel compared to a mh-1000? I'd like an ebony fretboard better, but the mh-1000 has an 81/81 config which I would prefer. Though the abalone binding looks a bit...gay, though I could get over it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Also, Edge Pro is never hit or miss (just like 2570 isn't quite a low rg prestige). Assuming that the manufacturing quality of the two is the same (high), EP still has a row of advantages over the OFR, such as:

Low profile - the bridge doesn't stick out from your guitar, which facilitates palm muting, and prevents touching the fine-tuners often while at it

Heavy tremolo block - you'll notice that Edge Pro is pretty massive compared to the OFR. As a result, it gives you better sustain.

Punch-in tension adjustable arm - unlike a scew-in arm, you can set this one to any degree of stiffness, and you can pull it out and pop it back in with just one move.

Also, you can restring EP without cutting off the ball ends of the strings.

And also, it has a replaceable knife edge plate, just in case yours does go dull after excessive mileage. With the OFR, you'd face swapping the bridge.

Alder's bright, so is maple (from the neck-thru block). It makes for a very sharp lead tone, something you hear in the most intense solos out there, thus M/KH (which also feature 81/81 combos, without any pretense for rhythm specification) and JH are made out of it. Same for the Soloist, really.

You'd not feel all that excited about that once you want to switch into rhythm smoothly on the same instrument - they'll still scream and not growl.

If you're dead set on classic heavy metal lead machine, that setup will be perfect for you, and you'll be completely satisfied with M or KH or JH. But in their focus, they become somewhat of a one-trick pony.
Last edited by pifty at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by Supersonic^
John Petrucci, the greatest guitarist of all time, had an Ibanez RG with a basswood body.

that is all.

But that is not quite metal. I'm not looking for versatility, I don't want this to play blues or pop or rock/hard rock. Metal. Metal lead mostly, but rhythm as well. I have ****loads of gear to boost the signal to lead, or eq it. Hell, I would even prefer that it is a one-trick pony as long as it does it well. But some metallica-ish cleans would be cool to get. I don't like the overly-distorted tones ala modern in flames or all this metalcore crap, I love metallica's and maiden's lead tones (I know they use fenders, which you tell me are made of alder :P), gotta love the Judas Priest rhythm tones (gibsons though), Jake E. Lee's tone, megadeth, hell the list goes on. Plus 90% of the bands I saw at Sounds of the Underground were using LTD guitars with mesa rectifiers, and they sounded pretty damn nice for being $700-800 guitars. I love shredding, but I'm no virtuoso. It seems ibanez is more shred-intended than metal, and therefore I'd feel like I was trying to make it a metal guitar. Enough of my rambling.
^ I notice the profile is much cooler, and the punch-in is definately nice, but I actually rest my hand in front of the tremolo when pmuting. But here is an idea:

What is considered the "best" OFR? Kahler, Schaller, ect, and would it run about $180 as I hear. Does the LTD mh-1000 or jh-600 allow for these types of trems to fit? And do you have to replace anything else when replacing the bridge? Since I keep saying I'm only interested in the ibanez for the neck, if there is minimal difference in playability between the ibanez and ltd's, and if I am questioning the quality of the OFR on the ltd, I would rather spend $170-$200 on a new trem for a guitar that I love all the features on rather than spending $200-$300 on new pups for a guitar which I wouldn't know the sound of w/ the emgs until I get them installed.
^ The ibanez is VERY versatile.

Its a metal/shred guitar. Straight up.

The EMG/basswood hype is just bs. I prefer basswood to mahogony, mahog is to dark. Basswood is bright, and has that bite that mahogony does. Its more well rounded than alder.

Id go for the Ibanez.

www.derrylgabel.com

Check out some of his tunes, he uses EMG's , check out his videos.

From clean to Lynch lead ibanez and emgs are excellent.

Ebay is the way to go. A month ago there was a used, basically brand new with one ding RG2570 BIN for 499$
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Any quality of an OFR is going to be great. Its LFR's you wanna look out for, although Ibanez trems are the best IMO. ( high end ones, Edge pro, Lo-pro, Orig. edge, ZR )

Edge Pro and ZR are not liscensed. They are ibanez design.

BTW, the judas priest comment is not true. I dont know if they use gibsons now, but back in the 80s the guitars you heard were Hamer's
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by lespaulrocks39
^ I notice the profile is much cooler, and the punch-in is definately nice, but I actually rest my hand in front of the tremolo when pmuting. But here is an idea

<snipped>

I'm a monkey, so recheck this edit.

I don't believe OFR is worth swapping to a third party bridge, the quality won't be different, and both Schaller and Gotoh LFRs are pretty much OFR clones with next to no difference. Kahler isn't a swap to OFR. So, if you get the LTD, then you have everything you seem to want right out of the box.

The neck? Ummm, I wouldn't trade a Wizard for anything. Finished LTD necks feel like playing on a wax stick to me. But it's preference.
I guess I should also specify that I mean the m-1000, the ltd deluxe series
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by pifty
I'm a monkey, so recheck this edit.

I don't believe OFR is worth swapping to a third party bridge, the quality won't be different, and both Schaller and Gotoh LFRs are pretty much OFR clones with next to no difference. Kahler isn't a swap to OFR. So, if you get the LTD, then you have everything you seem to want right out of the box.

The neck? Ummm, I wouldn't trade a Wizard for anything. Finished LTD necks feel like playing on a wax stick to me. But it's preference.

True that.

I hate lacquered necks.

The ibanez on the other hand is thinner, and all natural.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I guess I should also specify that I mean the mh-1000 deluxe...

Then you have a hardtail. Trying to put a trem in that would be a very silly idea

As a hardtail, though, MH deluxe isn't bad. I tried one, it growls alright. Neck is meh, but that's just me.
Yeah, I just realized that I posted that wrong. I do mean the m-1000, but when I was looking for prices, I see the older m-1000s, and I actually mean the ltd deluxe series m-1000.
I would be using this guitar 90% of the time for lead, because my les paul with emg 81/85 sounds awesome for rhythm.
^ I meant to say that's not quite the metal tone I'm after. Yeah, I know they're prog metal, but for my tastes I'm sort of on the other end of the metal spectrum. There's no need to be a douchebag about it.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I would be using this guitar 90% of the time for lead, because my les paul with emg 81/85 sounds awesome for rhythm.

Well then, I'd say go for M, if you don't mind dishing out so much for a Korean guitar. It won't do rhythm, at all, but since you got your LP for that...
I don't care if it's made in a meth-lab (except that it would be poisonous) as long as it is quality. I've learned you get what you pay for about a million times, so it should be the best korean quality.
In that case you've got yourself a winner. In no way I'm saying it will have crappy quality - it will be quite awesome, deluxe after all. I had brief experiences with a number of LTD 1000 series, and they didn't seem to leave much to complain about, just the necks are not my thing. Well, that, and I got a bit of MIJ fetish going on.

If you get the M, write up a handy review. People always jump in screamin' RG sucks donkey balls, buy M-1000 instead, but nobody seemed to have played one before.