I've got a Standard sunburst strat with a rosewood neck and I'm thinking about replacing the neck for something a bit faster (but still rosewood) I don't know what kind of finish they put on them, but even when it's been very thoroughly cleaned, it still feels a little bit sticky, especially if the weathers hot, does anyone have any recommendations for replacing it?
Uhh, why don't you try cleaning it then if you say it hasn't been throughly clean. You could also try sanding it down a little bit.
Quote by take_it_t
Uhh, why don't you try cleaning it then if you say it hasn't been throughly clean. You could also try sanding it down a little bit.

what??? he said it has been thoroughly cleaned. what kind of finish is on the neck?
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
If the neck is maple, I have heard that sanding it down and finishing with tung oil makes it a little quicker.
You could also scuff the finish with some steel wool. You would be basically scratching the finish(scratches you can't see) to dull it and take away the stickiness.
you could put an american strat neck on it, they are a little faster, and you could also take and sand the neck with some 400 grit carbide paper to take some of the sealer off. and you can get some high quality lemon oil wood polish and use a few drops on a soft rag to wipe down your fretboard, and finnally you can polish your frets with this stuff called never-dull, you can get it at an auto parts store, its sold as a chrome cleaner but it can polish your frets out to mirror and protects the metal against oxidizing, plus it makes your tone a little brighter.
~jacob t.
imo just rub down the neck with 0000 steel wool
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by metallicaman80
If the neck is maple, I have heard that sanding it down and finishing with tung oil makes it a little quicker.
You could also scuff the finish with some steel wool. You would be basically scratching the finish(scratches you can't see) to dull it and take away the stickiness.

Thanks for the help everyone. The neck is maple, I think I'll try the steel wool suggestion first, then maybe the finishing it with tung oil one if that doesn't make much difference, and if I balls the whole thing up I'll get a new (American) strat neck, I played an American Strat a while ago and the neck did feel noticeably faster to me.
Ah right, so I'd have to apply the finish myself, I have to be honest, I don't know what a Tung Oil finish looks or feels like, are there any well known brands of guitar that have one?

If I do change the neck though I'll probably hang on to it in case I want to sell the guitar in it's original condition.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
Ah right, so I'd have to apply the finish myself, I have to be honest, I don't know what a Tung Oil finish looks or feels like, are there any well known brands of guitar that have one?

If I do change the neck though I'll probably hang on to it in case I want to sell the guitar in it's original condition.

I don't think you HAVE to finish the neck, I think most people just prefer it finished.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.