Page 1 of 2
I don't know very much about these amps/cabs. I know the cabs can be filled with Celestions, or a Diezel custom speaker set too. What about the amps though? Why are they so friggin' much $$$ ?? I see a lot of professional cats playing with Diezel equipment so I'm curious.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Ok. Lets talk.

Mmmm.. I'd love a Herbert. Or an Einstein. Wouldn't mind a VH4 either.

Umm. They sound good.

And they cost a lot of dollar sign sollar sign dollar sign because they're boutique amps, and boutique amps cost lots of dollar signs.

It's what you pay for a good unique tone.
wtf is a boutique amp
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
OK, when you say VH4 and Einstein amps, what's the difference between them? About how much do they run? (dollar sign dollar sign dollar sign)
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
the einstein is like 3 grand and i think the vh4 is more around 4 or 5 grand i think
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Quote by firebridge
wtf is a boutique amp

Made in small quantities, uncommon, expensive, using the best parts and components, usually with top notch customer service, and good tone.
Quote by guitarrocka205
OK, when you say VH4 and Einstein amps, what's the difference between them? About how much do they run? (dollar sign dollar sign dollar sign)

The difference between them is that they are different amps altogether. Look at their website for more info.

How much do they run... I'm not too sure about new, but used an Einy is about $2000-2200 or so, and a VH4 is what, like $2800 or somthing. New is about that times 1.5.
I've only tried the vh4. It kicked ass. Cleans weren't great, but everything else was.

As electrik says, they're dear because they're good. Also, they're freqently handwired.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not true genocide i have seen used VH4s for 2800 but ya they are ****ing insanly expensive and rare i havent even seen one in real life
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I've played a VH4 at a gig and a Herbert at the local Guitar Center..

Whenever I was checking ebay.. about december? I didn't see any VH4 under 3k and any herbert under about 3500.

imo they don't warrant the price tag... I couldn't see myself playing something that ridiculously expensive. I didn't think the tone was all that great.. haha. Suddenly Diezel are becoming really popular to reccomend again. Gah.
there's a band up in the upstate ny area whose guitarist played a vht and it was a nice sound, very tight, very clear. then he got a diezel...wow. it sounds...wow

Haha I'm from upstate NY, it was probably one of those spoiled Emo queers from Save This City, the guys dad bought him a sick PRS and a Mesa/Boogie stack and the kid can only play powerchords, what the hell.

**** emo.
Schecter Gryphon loaded with Seymour Duncan SH-6 pickups
Ibanez AEG20E Honeyburst Acoustic/Electric
Marshall MG15CDR
Line 6 Spider II 212 150w with FBV Express Footboard/Wah
MT-2 Metal Head
Zoom 606 Multi Effects
The VH-4 I played sounded really good, but was really compressed. It seemed like it would have some trouble cutting through. Cleans weren't as great as I thought they would be for a $3500 plus amp, but they were still pretty good.
ya for that much your better off ABYing the perfect dirty amp with the perfect clean amp and calling it a day instead of buying an amp for that much with Sub Par cleans. Though warrant i havent played one just going off what people in this thread have Said
^yeah you could probably get 2 really good amps like 1 for distortion and 1 for clean. probably would sound better and maybe even cost less?

Dunno tho these diezel sound awesome. i wanna try one.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Too

****ing

Expensive.

You can't touch a used diezel for under 3k I thought?

aye, they are very dear in the states (compared to everything else). over here, they're only (!) like £200 more than a dual recto. and most of the other "good" amps are a similar price...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WoahTotallyRad
Haha I'm from upstate NY, it was probably one of those spoiled Emo queers from Save This City, the guys dad bought him a sick PRS and a Mesa/Boogie stack and the kid can only play powerchords, what the hell.

**** emo.

The kid getting nice stuff for free has nothing to do with the genre he plays. Don't put down a genre because it is not technical enough. I don't listen to emo but I don't put it down. God forbid someone owns nice equpment and isn't that good at guitar. Maybe he is satisfied with playing just powerchords. Most of us at UG aren't. I know people that play powerchords and are totally satisfied with their playing even though thats all they can do. They can't write, play a solo or even name notes on a guitar but they are having fun. Who cares if they aren't good. They are having fun. That is what guitar is to them. Some people are spoiled. Just deal with it. There will always be people like that. Worry about your own playing and not theirs.

end of rant.

Ya I wish I had a diesel. I am pretty much satisfied with not spending $3000+ on an amp though.
Quote by jmac72187
The kid getting nice stuff for free has nothing to do with the genre he plays. Don't put down a genre because it is not technical enough. I don't listen to emo but I don't put it down. God forbid someone owns nice equpment and isn't that good at guitar. Maybe he is satisfied with playing just powerchords. Most of us at UG aren't. I know people that play powerchords and are totally satisfied with their playing even though thats all they can do. They can't write, play a solo or even name notes on a guitar but they are having fun. Who cares if they aren't good. They are having fun. That is what guitar is to them. Some people are spoiled. Just deal with it. There will always be people like that. Worry about your own playing and not theirs.

end of rant.

Ya I wish I had a diesel. I am pretty much satisfied with not spending $3000+ on an amp though.

Agree'd. You can have good equipment and not be the best guitarist in the world. Example being Tom DeLonge from Blink-182/Angels and Airwaves. Not the greatest guitarist in the world, but has himself a signature Gibson and a Mesa Triple Recto stack (or multiple ones). If you got the money, they god damn, go out and let it burn a whole in your pocket haha.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Not sure if I like diezel's yet...everything I have heard has been to hifi sounding for my own taste. Good amps though if that's what you like, in fact, the best amps if that's what you like.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

I find a lot of these amps horribly overpriced. They sound good, but can you really say that a $4000 premium amp really sounds $2000 better than a $2000 premium amp? I don't think so.

And I've only heard one Diezel (Herbert) being played, and I wasn't horribly impressed with it. Yeah, it sounded good. It BETTER sound good for that price. But it wasn't a tone that would make me want one. Now if Diezel were to give me an amp, I would definately play it and make it work for my sound...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by guitarrocka205

diezels are expensive as hell becasue they are all hand made and are imported from germany.

im pretty sure an enstien is 3000-3500 USD
the herbert is 4100 USD
the VH4 goes for 4250 USD
the VH4S is 4600 USD

the cabs range from 600 to 1200 i think
I'm not going to quote you guys because I'm too lazy, but, you rant about that but I'm one of those people happy with powerchords, sure I know scales and **** but solos aren't my thing, the fact that bugs me is his dad blows all that money on good equipment and the kid only plays guitar for attention, not for a love of music.
So shove it smartass
Schecter Gryphon loaded with Seymour Duncan SH-6 pickups
Ibanez AEG20E Honeyburst Acoustic/Electric
Marshall MG15CDR
Line 6 Spider II 212 150w with FBV Express Footboard/Wah
MT-2 Metal Head
Zoom 606 Multi Effects
Quote by WoahTotallyRad
I'm not going to quote you guys because I'm too lazy, but, you rant about that but I'm one of those people happy with powerchords, sure I know scales and **** but solos aren't my thing, the fact that bugs me is his dad blows all that money on good equipment and the kid only plays guitar for attention, not for a love of music.
So shove it smartass

Aren't you cool.
Quote by WoahTotallyRad
So shove it smartass

Don't worry about his reasons to play. Just play your own guitar and stop caring about other people more than your own playing.
Quote by guitarrocka205

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/diezel.htm

thats a good site, great store too. i got there to satisfy my expensive needs and show what i cannot buy.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
http://www.wildwestguitars.com/diezel.htm

thats a good site, great store too. i got there to satisfy my expensive needs and show what i cannot buy.

Sweet.. thanks
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
I actually own a Diezel VH4. Just like any other amp, its all about what you like. It iis funny to me though when people spend 15 minutes with an amp like this and say its crap. Funny because its got one of the most effective EQs you will ever see on an amp. Meaning that it takes a whole lot of experimentation to dial it in.

Unlike others on here, I think the cleans are absolutely excellent. They are often described as a mix between Hiwatt and Fender Twin. Thats channel one. It will border on breakup with the gain maxed out. Channel 2 is a hard rock/texas type channel. Ch 3 you can hear on tons of albums. Its what made Diezel so big. Crunch Crunch Crunch. High gain, tight bottom, good definition. Channel 4 is even more gain, but made for leads.

Some Diezel users are Tool, Korn, Metallica, Muse, Slipknot, Billy Corgan, blah blah blah.

Though I do own a Diezel, I am not, lets see "a spoiled emo nerd". I got a job coming out of college and saved for it.

One can never really say if a price is justified. I suppose if the tone inspired you to write a killer song it could end up paying for itself. To me the tone is pure inspiration, but others would be ****e Im sure. It should be noted that Diezels come with a lifetime warranty for the original user which does help, IMO, to justify the price. Peter Diezel will talk to you himself as well as do various mods for you. Its some pretty hardcore customer service.

But boy did it hurt to drop down that much hard earned $$$.
Last edited by Assiah at Aug 17, 2006,
ya it does sound pretty nice from the clips on your myspace i would buy one if i had the money
Well, if you like it on myspace, its MUCH MUCH better on Soundclick. I fricking hate what myspace does to recording sound quality. You put in hours on a recording only to feel anally violated after putting it up on myspace.
ohi listened to both i see what you mean ya but it sounds pretty good. i just dont have the cash to shell out for something like that
Quote by Assiah
I actually own a Diezel VH4. Just like any other amp, its all about what you like. It iis funny to me though when people spend 15 minutes with an amp like this and say its crap. Funny because its got one of the most effective EQs you will ever see on an amp. Meaning that it takes a whole lot of experimentation to dial it in.

Unlike others on here, I think the cleans are absolutely excellent. They are often described as a mix between Hiwatt and Fender Twin. Thats channel one. It will border on breakup with the gain maxed out. Channel 2 is a hard rock/texas type channel. Ch 3 you can hear on tons of albums. Its what made Diezel so big. Crunch Crunch Crunch. High gain, tight bottom, good definition. Channel 4 is even more gain, but made for leads.

Some Diezel users are Tool, Korn, Metallica, Muse, Slipknot, Billy Corgan, blah blah blah.

Though I do own a Diezel, I am not, lets see "a spoiled emo nerd". I got a job coming out of college and saved for it.

One can never really say if a price is justified. I suppose if the tone inspired you to write a killer song it could end up paying for itself. To me the tone is pure inspiration, but others would be ****e Im sure. It should be noted that Diezels come with a lifetime warranty for the original user which does help, IMO, to justify the price. Peter Diezel will talk to you himself as well as do various mods for you. Its some pretty hardcore customer service.

I never said it was crap, I said the cleans were below par for a £2000 amp head. Since I tried it next to some other £2000 amp heads.

but channels 2, 3, and 4 were excellent.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
should try my company amptek. we make pre 1980 vintage amps by hand, with only the best components. we also can modify the circuits of certain amps, like adding fixed bias, as opposed to cathode bias for longer tube life. we will do custom amps, but we dont do to many amps with onboard effects, and se definitely stay away from digital tube amps. we specialize in old fender products. we're kind of expensive, but have a huge range. the only problem is that we dont make amps until you order them, and it could take up to 5 months for us to design a circuit, cab/head, and then we have to find the parts, build the thing, and ship it. it's a long process but our custom amps are virtually noiseless, and as i said before, we will convert circuits to fixed (adjustable) bias for the correct tube voltage, and by doing that, will save you thousands of dollars in the long run by making tubes last years instead of hours. we have an old 1964 fender champ clone in our studio that have a jj 12AX7, and G/T 6v6, and 5Y3 tubes in it that we havent changed since we built it almost 2 years ago, and they still sound great. that was the first amp that we built, and now that combo amp goes for $1,000 from us, but we're the only ones who build it, so that's why theyre so expensive. sorry for advertising, but i got to get the word out somehow.
Quote by Assiah

crap dude, your clips kick absolute ass, is that the VH4, and what's your recording setup? Also, is that you singing on them?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Dave_Mc
I never said it was crap, I said the cleans were below par for a £2000 amp head. Since I tried it next to some other £2000 amp heads.

but channels 2, 3, and 4 were excellent.

Im not directly speaking of anyone here. And actually not about Diezels necessarily. Just people in general making statements about something without properly studying what it has to offer.

Btw, most people feel that the herbert clean is better and I would have to agree. But as with anything....I like apples others like oranges.
My god, this is the third time I will have redone this post because my computer keeps flaking out when I hit submit, so its gonna be short.

Guitar is all VH4(even the bass). I really need a real bass amp. Those clips absolutely DO NOT do the amp justice.

My setup:

SM57
Sebatron thorax
Tascam US-428
Kel HM1 Small Diaphram Condenser
Cubasis 2.0(crap old version of Cubase)
Drumkit from Hell 1

And yes thats me singing on there

Thanks for the kind words man. Truly appreciated.
Quote by Assiah
Im not directly speaking of anyone here. And actually not about Diezels necessarily. Just people in general making statements about something without properly studying what it has to offer.

Btw, most people feel that the herbert clean is better and I would have to agree. But as with anything....I like apples others like oranges.

agreed. unfortunately, a lot of the time you only do get half an hour with an amp to try it (especially if you're like me, and have to take time away from your holidays to try good kit that you can't try at home... ).

But yeah, agreed. if you have the amp, you can obviously tweak it a lot more to see what it can do.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If i were given $4500, I'd go with either a Mesa Traxis and power amp and a few other rack accessories, or a Carvin V-3 Orange 412 and Carvin 412 legacy and some rackmount digital effects...and i would have a tone better than a $4500 amp...hopefully

well, what i just said was quite ignorant because your tone is...your tone, if you are pleased by a $75 fender frontman 15g or a $4500 diezel. The diezel is a great amp, a bit overpriced even for all you recieve, but you can't really complain about the price for the fact where it retains its value very well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Aug 19, 2006,
Page 1 of 2