Alright I love my tone when Im screwing around and jamming at home. Its not super distortiony, you can hear the notes, no fuzz, it has a pretty decent 'lead' sound to it, I like it. But the problem is, when I play with my band and crank the volume, its sounds HORRIBLE. It gets super distortion (even though it wasnt that high), really fuzzy, the high notes just hurt your ears, and you get the point.

When im playing with my band I run:

Guitar > BOSS MT-2 (I use for my distortion with clean channel, which is all I use) > Vox AD50VT on clean channel

Does anyone have suggestions on how to eliminate this problem and maintain my tone at high volumes. The tone im achieving is for Avenged Sevenfold type stuff, Metallica, SOME hardcore, but more on the metal side.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
That amp is solid state is it not? SS amps by nature sound horrible when you crank them, the guitar signal is clipped rather harshly. They sound best a low volumes. You might try lowering the gain on your amp/pedal, let the volume do the work, don't worry about having huge amounts of distortion.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Because it uses a 12ax7 you will get more gain and fuzz upon cranking the amp.

A solution is to readjust your pedal at higher volumes and use a different amp model, there is no clean channel just a bunch of different amps that will sound dirtier than another. Use a high gain amp model and build you tone based off of that amp instead of using the pedal as a core for your tone.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
i believe the AD50VT is something inbetween solid state and tube amp. I have the 100W version and the manual says something about it being Valvetronix, which i guess is some sort of hybrid? Anyway, I can't really help you with the whole tone problem. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the pedal though.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by Hendrix4ever
i believe the AD50VT is something inbetween solid state and tube amp. I have the 100W version and the manual says something about it being Valvetronix, which i guess is some sort of hybrid? Anyway, I can't really help you with the whole tone problem. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the pedal though.

I think it has one tube in the preamp section. I'm not exactly sure how it would respond to being cranked, but from what he says, it sounds like it responds like a SS.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I think it has one tube in the preamp section. I'm not exactly sure how it would respond to being cranked, but from what he says, it sounds like it responds like a SS.

It is a preamp tube in the poweramp section.

The Preamp is completely solid state, but the poweramp reacts differently. Although yes it is SS the signal will breakup in the poweramp section like a tube poweramp does. I've tested it and cranking it does infact cause the little 12ax7 to breakup, but because it is a 12ax7 it will not react or sound the same as a real powertube.

So what would my best bet be to achieve the tone I want? I would consider a new amp, but for the time being im a little tight financially. I was thinking in the future of purchasing a Marshall DSL100 head and unsure of a cab yet. Would that suit what I play?
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
well i gave you some advise, if you don't want to spend money i suggest you consider it.

does it do that if you remove the pedal and use the amp's distortion?

for the record, the MT-2 is an awful pedal.

if you must use your pedal, set the amp to Boutique CL and gain to about 10 o'clock, or less. adjust EQ to taste.
Last edited by Supersonic^ at Aug 12, 2006,
I agree, the Metal Zone pedal is not good, especially at high volumes. At low volumes it's usable, but when you start practising with a band and gigging it's true colours shine through. I recommend either getting a new amp, something more suited to your styles, or finding an amp model you're happy with using. I don't have much experience with the Valvetronix amps so the best way is to just experiment yourself.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700