No, the sustainer is a pickup.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
yes you can but it is designed to work best with the pickup it comes with
i dont know if that pickup is any good
i dont own a sustainer system, im just telling you what i heard
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
the (fernandes) sustainer goes in the neck position.
it comes with humbucker for the bridge and they say it works best with either that pickup or an emg, but fernandes itself produces guitar with sustainers and duncan JBs so i doubt there's that much of a difference.

In the neck, your options are to live with the fernandes pickup, or do what neal schon does on his guitars which is to install the single coil size sustainer and put a single coil or single coil sized humbucker next to it. I think that in that situation you would probably wire it so that the sustainer is never used as a pickup. (although i might be tempted to blend the sustainer's pickup sound with that of the single coil next to it).

The interresting thing about the second option is that, according to what i've heard, the sustainer itself sounds like a single coil when it's being used as a pickup (rather than as a sustainer driver). i *think* this is because only one of the coils is a pickup, while the other is the driver, but that's pure speculation.
Quote by evhmeanstreet
do the pedals work as good as installing one on a guitar?

imo it makes more sense, i mean what happens when you don't want to have infinte sustain anymore, i mean, it's bound to get annoying after a while

but meh i've only tried it once, i haven't tried a sustain pedal
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Sustain pedals do nothing. The pickup sustainer creates a magnetic field which keeps the string vibrating. Sustainer pedals are just glorified compressors.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
so does your guitar have to have a two humbucker configuration in order to install a sustainter?
Quote by seek_&_destroy
imo it makes more sense, i mean what happens when you don't want to have infinte sustain anymore, i mean, it's bound to get annoying after a while

but meh i've only tried it once, i haven't tried a sustain pedal

When you dont want the sustain anymore, you just turn it off...
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112