I was just wondering what you guys thought of getting guitar lessons? I mean, will getting a teacher help me to iron out the flaws in my playing better than the advice from all you guys on UG? I know a lot of it depends on the teacher, but what have any past experiences you guys have had been like?
Basically I have been playing for about 2 years now and I've never had a lesson. I think that there must be several things which I'm not doing right.
I guess what I'm asking is will most teachers be able to pick these flaws out and help me fix them?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a new guitar, I currently have an old RG550 with Evo's which is quite beat up (trem is gone a bit, not been set up in ages etc.) And I was thinking of an upgrade somewhere in the £800 region. I've already tried a Jackson SL3 which I thought was prtty good, does anyone else have any recommendations that I should try?

Cheers
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
A good teacher is always beneficial, though a bad teacher can do more damage than a good one could possibly make up for... I don't know the state of guitar teachers over there, obviously... It can't hurt to try and have a second opinion on here, if necessary.

And are you happy with the 550? If so, why not get another secondhand one and customise it (and you'll still have money left), or get a 1550/1570 and change the pickups?

Imo Jackson US is a waste of money as they're pretty much in the same vein as Ibanez Prestige and they cost a bunch more.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I am happy with the 550 at the moment. I suppose having two wouldn't hurt too much (nice for doing different tunings live). But I'm still going to look. The guitars other than the jackson I was considering were the JEM555 (2nd hand for about £400) or an ESP. Was kind of looking at a Tagima Kiko Loureiro sig guitar but they seem to be fairly impossible to get outside of Brazil
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Well, personally, I think that you cant do anything wrong when you play guitar. Its like painting, there is no wrong way of doing it, if the end result is what you wanted. Personally I think that besides for learning scales/theory you dont need a teacher. I bet that 75-85% of all UGers are self taught.
Quote by AloneInMyPlace
Well, personally, I think that you cant do anything wrong when you play guitar.

When it comes to guitar there are a ton of things you cand do wrong.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
To be honest I think getting lessons is a good idea. If you don't like the teacher and you two don't quite click - then stop having lessons with him, but you'll never know unless you try.

We here on UG (I say we, I mean people other than me who actually know what they're talking about) can tell you what to do to improve your technique, but a guitar teacher can show you. It's like when you first learned to do pinch harmonics... its very hard to tell someone how to do ph's, but its much easier to show them.
I think you should get a teacher, but remember that you're teacher might not have perfect technique either! For example, my teacher anchors so I generally rely on him for theory and the like and if I have any technique questions I'll post it here on UG because I know we have a few technique Nazi's here.,
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Yeah, 555 is korean crap.

And ESP is ridiculously overpriced.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
A good teacher is always beneficial, though a bad teacher can do more damage than a good one could possibly make up for... I don't know the state of guitar teachers over there, obviously... It can't hurt to try and have a second opinion on here, if necessary.

And are you happy with the 550? If so, why not get another secondhand one and customise it (and you'll still have money left), or get a 1550/1570 and change the pickups?

Imo Jackson US is a waste of money as they're pretty much in the same vein as Ibanez Prestige and they cost a bunch more.

Just out of curiosity, what gear do you play Resi?
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Nowadays...

Teh RG550 DiMarzio'd
Teh RG1550SA DiMarzio'd
Teh GH50L
Teh ADA MP-1

Click.
My teacher taught college for 20-some years. If I wouldn't have gone to him, I probably would have developed arthritis in my fretting hand and tendonitis in my picking hand. Also, I have learned how to read sheet music fairly well from him, and I am currently in the process of learning how to do chord melodies. Just make sure you're getting a good teacher; it's the probably the most important aspect.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Are you running the MP-1 through your loop?

And how is the GH? I don't like the one channel aspect, but it seems like a dandy amp.
Quote by Scorzerci
When it comes to guitar there are a ton of things you cand do wrong.

That is not true. There is no definition of what is and what is not wrong. There are notes that dont fit in a key, but they are not wrong notes, they are accidental notes. There are techniques that dont work well with some types of playing, but it is not wrong. Who decided how things should be played? Whe decides the correct way to play a note? You cannot do anything wrong on a guitar. You can makes things easier to play, and better sounding, but they are not more correct. They are just different.
Quote by AloneInMyPlace
That is not true. There is no definition of what is and what is not wrong. There are notes that dont fit in a key, but they are not wrong notes, they are accidental notes. There are techniques that dont work well with some types of playing, but it is not wrong. Who decided how things should be played? Whe decides the correct way to play a note? You cannot do anything wrong on a guitar. You can makes things easier to play, and better sounding, but they are not more correct. They are just different.

Musically I agree that there is nothing you can really do wrong, but technique wise there are ton of things you can do wrong like, anchoring, playing really tense, using only Up/downstrokes, using only one finger to fret the notes etc...
Quote by Mascot
Are you running the MP-1 through your loop?

And how is the GH? I don't like the one channel aspect, but it seems like a dandy amp.

Depends if I'm using it or not, if I'm using the MP-1, then yes, I rarely do though.

The GH is great. And the fact that it's a one channel amp doesn't bother me at all, as it is very sensitive to the 'ole volume knob cleanup thing. Just listen to Paul Gilbert's Hendrix tribute tracks to see what I mean. Here.

You can go from clean to distortion just by using your volume knob. Ofcourse, the EQ settings would be the same unless you have an EQ pedal/something else to use (MP-1, not that I really need it, just provides a different sound).

Click.
Which Dimarziosdo you have in your RG550?
Quote by Bill69

Tone Zone & Air Norton.

Click.
Keep the 550! IMO, nothing beats the old Edge/Lo Pro trems. The newer Edge-Pro's just don't have that classic feel. As far as pickups, I have an X2N/Virtual Vinatage/Air Norton combo. It sounds very good.

As far as lessons go, it all lies in the teacher. I now have a teacher who is great for helping my virtuoso-style playing (he used to be Shawn Lane's tech). I couldn't say the same for my previous teacher.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
I kind of preferred the feel of my Edge Pro on the 1550 to the Edge on the 550 when I didn't have them blocked. Reliability is another issue...

And the X2N is waaaaaaaaay too high output for me

Click.
Hmm, in terms of trems, I was thinking about getting a new one fitted on my 550 (one of the studs is broken so I can't alter my action at all), was thinking Lo-Pro/edge pro or even an OFR, how much difference does it actually make? Also, is it the tone Zone or air Norton which you are supposed to use for the neck?
Quote by Bill69

Quote by HammerForce
Hmm, in terms of trems, I was thinking about getting a new one fitted on my 550 (one of the studs is broken so I can't alter my action at all), was thinking Lo-Pro/edge pro or even an OFR, how much difference does it actually make? Also, is it the tone Zone or air Norton which you are supposed to use for the neck?

Between the lo-pro the edge and the OFR basically just the feel is different, it's pretty much preference from that point on.

Tone Zone is bridge, Air Norton is neck. Though I've got them currently wired the other way around and am quite liking it.

Click.