I´m a guitar player, i play guitar for a half year but my harmonics still sounds ****ty!!!! they are not high enough!!!
my equipment:
ESP LTD F-10 Set
Behringer Ultra Metal (UM100)
do i have to practice more or do i need petter pickups or something like this
(i´ve tried to go closer to the bridge with my right hand but then there were no harmonics i could hear)

edit:
yes i mean artifical/ pinched harmonics
Last edited by SP Xero at Aug 12, 2006,
practice, practice, and practice, pickups dont really matter unless their really ****ty
6 months is a little soon to be doing tricks like that, try cranking the mids and highs and gain, and try one on the 7th or 9th fret of the G string(3rd)
Quote by Drew Dolezal
practice, practice, and practice, pickups dont really matter unless their really ****ty

* they're
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
You gotta make sure you're picking at the exact right spot, it can't just be anywhere on the string. For an octave higher harmonic, you have to hit the equivilant of 12 frets above the note you're picking, 5 or 17 frets for 2 octaves, 7 or 19 for the 5th... etc etc. It's the same concept as hitting a natural harmonic, you're just doing it with your picking hand instead of you're fretting hand.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by WhiteLight
You can't edit someone elses post.

thank you.. it wasn't my post.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
hehe I used to not be able to do pinch harmonics at all....just everytime I would sit down and practice I would practice pinch harmonics......just gets easier and easier the more you practice them....just like everything else.
Quote by SP Xero
I´m a guitar player, i play guitar for a half year but my harmonics still sounds ****ty!!!! they are not high enough!!!
my equipment:
ESP LTD F-10 Set
Behringer Ultra Metal (UM100)
do i have to practice more or do i need petter pickups or something like this
(i´ve tried to go closer to the bridge with my right hand but then there were no harmonics i could hear)

edit:
yes i mean artifical/ pinched harmonics
i went tho whole sting truth, and ive seen that the harmonics go higher wenn i go closer to the bridge like you guys said, but i still cant get them high enough
thx @ all now i have to practice......
Harmonics aren't neccessarily higher the closer you are to the bridge... like, say if you're doing a note on the 5th fret, trying doing the pinch right over the 10th fret, and that should be pretty high. that applys for any note, just go 5 frets higher and pick/pinch right there.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Quote by DaliLama
6 months is a little soon to be doing tricks like that, try cranking the mids and highs and gain, and try one on the 7th or 9th fret of the G string(3rd)

I played for 5 months and I could do harmonics and pinch harmonics perfect.
the best way to achieve a decent-sounding pinch harmonic is to add some treble to your amp settings and using the neck pickup...now, you have to strike the string at an angle where the flesh of your thumb barely taps the string right after the plectrum...you should aim to perform this right over a natural harmonic, preferrably where the 24th or 36th frets would be (just experiment to find the sweet spot), but every part of the string yields a different sounding harmonic, so search for it! - it also may be beneficial to add some vibrato to achieve a squealing effect

or you can cheat and tap the fret an octave higher than the note you're playing
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
now ive got it - now i can do my harmonics much higher but still not high enough - but with the guitar of my friend they go much, realy much easier and i can do a high harmonic without any problems..... so i think it has somthing to do with my eqiupment - im sure its my guitar cuz ive got now a new amp (marshall) and the problem is still the same.....
thanx a lot to all of you