Ok, I got a new tube amp yesterday, my first ever tube amp. (Peavey JSX 212 120). I was playing it just a minute ago, and I turned it off, and while it was fading out, all of a sudden there was a big "POP!" sound. Is that a common occurance, does it mean I blew something up? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Also, when turning the amp off, should i do it Power of, then to standby, or the other way arounf?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Mine crackles sometimes when it turns off. Are you experiencing any other problems with it?
Hi, I'm Peter
Standby, then power off when turning off.

Have you tried it since the incident? Some times amps make odd noises when being turned off quickly, sort of like when you pull the chord out of a pedal or something. Does it still work?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by E Daws
Standby, then power off when turning off.

Have you tried it since the incident? Some times amps make odd noises when being turned off quickly, sort of like when you pull the chord out of a pedal or something. Does it still work?

i ahvent yet, I'm letting it cool down a little bit. I turned it off without turning my guitar volume down, then when I got up, m hand hit the strings, and it made the big sound. Is it also bad to play the guitar when the amp is fading off?

Quote by RadioHead22
yeah my amp is a little fender 25 and it pops whenever i shut it off. try turning alll the volumes down to zero and the tone and volume knobs on your guitar. that helps deaden it and sometimes stops it.
jackson dinky build!

do you live in a country?

pics dude or a vid of you trying to say 'bananaramapancake'
so it comes out brabrabrabwabwa

^about when i came home from the dentist and my face was numb from novacaine.
Well, i just went back, and it seems to be working fine. Im just worried it will hurt it in the long run. and If I seem a little paranoid, it's because I just bought it yesterday, and I spent $1569 CDN before tax on it lol.

Quote by RadioHead22
Turning the standby on before you turn your amp off doesn't do anything...except put the amp on standby, but it isn't necessary at all.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, just make sure you leave it on stand by for a couple of minutes to warm up when you turn it on
Quote by Dirk Gently
Turning the standby on before you turn your amp off doesn't do anything...except put the amp on standby, but it isn't necessary at all.

If you don't know what you are talking about, dont post at all

It is a LOT better to hit the standby button and let it sit there for a bit and then turn off the power. Usually amps that have a power and standby are amps that goes throough tubes fairly quickly, they add the standby so the tubes can be shut off slowly - gves them a bit longer of a life. If you just turn off the power button not only can u burn a fuse but it shortens the life of your tubes.

Now if you have a smaller amp or one with less gain, one that has long life on the tubes then they don't always add a standby switch on those..
Quote by shorter_rocker
If you don't know what you are talking about, dont post at all

I've had the same tubes in my amp for the last 7 years and I've never done what you've described. And if you'd do a search, it's generally considered irrelevant to let your tubes "cool down." And don't try to condescend me, twat

Here's a site where a college student gives a complete explanation of tube amps:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/tubes.html#b3

What is the correct method to turn the amp OFF?
There is no correct way. You can turn it straight off, unplug it from the wall, put it on standby first, etc. It flat out does not matter.

Wait, I'm finding other examples of how I'm right, you're wrong, and you should get your head out of your ass before trying to make people look stupid...

This is from another tube amp explanation webpage:

To turn it off, simply flip the power switch to "off", don't use standby. This lets the still-conducting tubes bring down the high voltages in the power supply.

http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/taffram.htm

Tell me when I can stop. Because I'm just going to keep finding things to post. Perhaps YOU shouldn't post if YOU don't know what YOU'RE talking about.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Aug 12, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
I've had the same tubes in my amp for the last 7 years and I've never done what you've described. And if you'd do a search, it's generally considered irrelevant to let your tubes "cool down." And don't try to condescend me, twat

You then have an amp like me - nice classic rock no high gain amp, though I also have another marshall - I can take a picture of a page in my marshall manual that explains the whole thing. They add them so they can warm up - and so that they arent being used (sound passing through) when you turn it off. They state in the manual that by doin the power - standby turn on and standby - power turn off that it prolongs the life of your tubes and helps so you don't blow your fuse. It is better for the tubes if sound isn't running through them when you turn it off - you should know better
The reason you just turn off the power and don't do that standby thing first is because it helps the capacitors drain, just so you know. You know capacitors...those things that can kill you even when the amp is unplugged if they aren't discharged first.

When powering the amp down, however, most will agree that it is best to just power the amp off without going into standby first. It lets the capacitors in the amp drain gracefully.

http://www.drifteramps.com/safety.html

And if you don't consider a Mesa Boogie Mark IV a high gain amp, well...
Hi, I'm Peter
I thought the whole purpose of standby was to let the tubes warm up. How would it be a shock to them if they cooled down like that?
Quote by Dirk Gently
The reason you just turn off the power and don't do that standby thing first is because it helps the capacitors drain, just so you know. You know capacitors...those things that can kill you even when the amp is unplugged if they aren't discharged first.

http://www.drifteramps.com/safety.html

And if you don't consider a Mesa Boogie Mark IV a high gain amp, well...

I don't get that.. You learn this in your basic highschool physics class - Your capacitors can hold a charge for a good long 20 mins... regardless of standby.. so whts the point?

It is deff better to use the standby then power turning off. That is why I said that to you - I have infact blown my fuse by turning off my power and not standby and I wouldn't want that to happen another UG user
I've never had that happen and nothing I've read directs you to do that. And I just double checked the Boogie website - they have no specific instructions in their manual on how to turn their amps off.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I've never had that happen and nothing I've read directs you to do that. And I just double checked the Boogie website - they have no specific instructions in their manual on how to turn their amps off.

Either way - I still would say it is smarter to do the standby then power turn off Due to my own experiences...
Fair enough. But you should retract the statement that I don't know what I'm talking about
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Fair enough. But you should retract the statement that I don't know what I'm talking about

Alright sorry man i'll make sure to keep my head under controll haha, I've just had a LOT of bad experiences with my one marshall so I tried to do everything I could to make my tubes last more than 3 months... It's f/s if you would happen to want to buy it
After that sales pitch? Even though I'm tempted... I'll have to pass. Although it seems that something's going on besides just using your standby switch...
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah ^^ It deff wasn't the standby switch but I asked a lot of people for advice on how to get my tubes to last and that came up a few times - I had the marshall looked it, it is just a tube eater... Too much gain going through the amp, for some reason my model had a wire turned a bit more than another or something and it likes to eat tubes
that's crazy. I consider myself lucky then. Seven years and not so much as a touch of microphonics
Hi, I'm Peter
Haha yeah ^^

I share an amp (some kinda 1970's jmp reissue) with my teacher, he was going to sell it but didnt want to see it leave so I gave him half price (I have band practice up at his house so its nice to just have an amp there). He said he got it used around 10 years ago and hes never changed the tubes, its these new tubes where people are replacing them every year. I just got a fender blues jr a couple days ago (the nice upgraded one) I'm hopin that baby has long lasting tubes
I've had a lot of luck with Boogies. And they come with a 6 month warranty... Might want to check that out with your Marshall...
Hi, I'm Peter
My father always told me to go with a mesa, maybe they were better back in the day. There used to be a local band called "the annonymous bluesband" and they had 2 lead guitarists. 1 used a blues jr, the other had some kinda mesa. Kurt, the one with the mesa, said he was always fighting with it to get a good blues tone out of it, he said he wished he didnt play the 1500$ for it - but that was an all blues band. The link in my sig shows my band, I took my own origs off there for the moment but gives you an idea of what I do, mesas any good for that stuff?
Well, I was speaking specifically of their tubes - they have a 6 month warranty. But as far as their amps go, I think the only one that's a really credible blues amp is the Lone Star, which has EL84s, fantastic cleans and dirties up really well. If you play a variety of styles, like I like to dabble in, the Mark series and F series amps are awesome. They run on 6L6s, but I know at least with the Mark you can switch those out for either 2 or 4 EL34s to get Marshall tones.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I've had the same tubes in my amp for the last 7 years

so this is confirmed that it's not good to put it in standby before you shut it down? I've always turned it to standby before shutting off, just to have it there when I turn it back on, but now you have me wondering if that can actually hurt a capacitor. I hope powerfreak sees this thread, I'd like to get his confirmation.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Well this is what I've read: Most places say it doesn't matter how you turn your amp off. One guy mentioned specifically that it helps the capacitors drain smoothly when you just kill the power. The Marshall instruction manual recommends standby for a few seconds before powering off completely. So...I guess you can do whatever you want. I usually turn it to standby before shutting it off but it's "flip, flip." I don't let it cool down or whatever. I just do it so I make sure the standby is off for the next time I turn it back on.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah - it probably doesn't really matter too much how you turn it off. Your amp will probably have something else go wrong with it before you get problems by how you turn it off ( I just probably had a bad fuse in the first place). Turning your amp on is what you really need to look out for
I dunno, I never get any pops or crackles that way either, they seem to shut off more gracefully that way, if that makes any sense, lol. I just don't want to actually be shortening the lifespan of my caps. They are already 15 years old in the Mark, so I try to take good care of it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids