ok sorry if this is the wrong place i don't know if it should be in that customizing thread. but here goes ok i got a fender showmaster and i can pull up on the bar and i can push down but everytime i pull up it breaks the strings unless i down tune a whole bunch. my question is can i put anything on my guitar to when i pull up it dosen't break the strings. also them locking nuts on them floyd rose guitars can i buy a set of them locking nuts and put them on my guitar?
your strings may be too tight, or are the strings breaking by the saddles every time? if so your saddles may be sharp and cutting your strings, and yes you can get a locking nut but i wouldnt recomend installing it yourself, it requires drilling in the headstock, get a pro to do it
i dont konw that the locking nut would even do anything, other than keep it in tune for a little longer. i would think that would make it even tighter on the strings
no it wouldnt affect the tightness of the strings and they actually keep your guitar in almost perfect tune
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
your'e better off with locking tuners

no not really theyre easier to change tunings, but theyre not as affective, and a locking not for parts and instalation is like 80 bucks, locking tuners are 40-80 bucks each
but once you lock the nut it changes the tuning a bit. that's why FRs have the fine tuners.
strat player forever.
then you compansate, example; if the nut knocks the strings 1 half step flat, tune the strngs 1 step sharp and lock the nut
first i don't know what a saddle is so can someone please tell me what it is also my guitar is in perfect tune when i try to pull up on the bar. i don't know what it is but its like the skinniest string and the second skinny one that breaks one time it broke the fattest string. i would get a professional to put it on if i got it
Quote by slipknotfan2448
first i don't know what a saddle is so can someone please tell me what it is also my guitar is in perfect tune when i try to pull up on the bar. i don't know what it is but its like the skinniest string and the second skinny one that breaks one time it broke the fattest string. i would get a professional to put it on if i got it

how high are you pulling the bar? does it always seem to be those strings? what string gauge are you using?
Hmm.. Am I going to be the only one that mentions that Non Floating Trems are only supposed to be used to take the pitch down, and not up? If your guitar has a Non-Floating Trem, bringing the bar up will snap the strings every time.

Since you asked about a locking nut, I am guessing that you have a Non Floating Trem.. Since Most guitars that have Floating Trems are equipped with a locking nut to keep them in tune.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning" Aleister Crowley
Quote by Gods Betrayal
Hmm.. Am I going to be the only one that mentions that Non Floating Trems are only supposed to be used to take the pitch down, and not up? If your guitar has a Non-Floating Trem, bringing the bar up will snap the strings every time.

Since you asked about a locking nut, I am guessing that you have a Non Floating Trem.. Since Most guitars that have Floating Trems are equipped with a locking nut to keep them in tune.

if you can bring a non floating trem up and break strings before breaking the bar i will give you 5 bucks.

and yeh most guitars with floating trems do have a locking nut (floyd rose, kahlers) but if you have wilkinson bridges then its better with locking tuners and a friction less nut
Quote by azn_guitarist25
if you can bring a non floating trem up and break strings before breaking the bar i will give you 5 bucks.

and yeh most guitars with floating trems do have a locking nut (floyd rose, kahlers) but if you have wilkinson bridges then its better with locking tuners and a friction less nut

Free money? Non-Floating Trems are not made to raise the pitch, and WILL snap a string everytime when the bar is pulled up. I had it happen to me, and also.. This deffinition of a Non-Floating Trem seems to fit this purpose..

"The 2 most common types of vibrato bar are the non floating
(standard) vs. the floating system. Difference being, the
standard you can only use to bend downward on the strings,
allowing you to lower the sounds of the strings. "

I think you people have the wrong deffinitions of a Floating Trem and Non Floating Trem..
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning" Aleister Crowley
Quote by Gods Betrayal
Free money? Non-Floating Trems are not made to raise the pitch, and WILL snap a string everytime when the bar is pulled up. I had it happen to me, and also.. This deffinition of a Non-Floating Trem seems to fit this purpose..

"The 2 most common types of vibrato bar are the non floating
(standard) vs. the floating system. Difference being, the
standard you can only use to bend downward on the strings,
allowing you to lower the sounds of the strings. "

I think you people have the wrong deffinitions of a Floating Trem and Non Floating Trem..

hmmmm im not confused. look at the wilkinson VS100 its a floating trem and pretty much doesnt use a locking nut.

and i have my non floating trem set up to bend up and literally only reason a string has broken is probably from the sustain block. and there are plenty of people who set up strat trems to float and afaik they dont break strings everytime they bend up. and i believe the showmaster does have a floating trem
i am barely pullin the bar up, no sometimes other strings break thats not them, an di am using ghs boomers 9-42 also i can pull up and push down on the bark its not like my squier ican pull up