hey guys,

the problem is,

i'm trying to learn hendrix's castles made of sand on acoustic guitar, and it's the hardest song i've ever learned (most stuff comes fairly easy to me), and it's just really hard to read the tab and listen to the song and try to put it together right.

so, what i ask of all you shredders and whatnot how do you go about learning a hard song without getting discouraged?
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
ive nvr heard the song but whenever im in ure situation and i start to get frustrated i take it piece by piece, sometimes ill have to listen to the song 20 times in a row, also take breaks, that way u dont get so stressed or anything, cause after u play something for a while u kinda start to loose feel of it
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
what part you having trouble with? the intro part cause the verses is just a chord progession of F, A, E, F, C, G and you just throw in some pentatonic licks once in a while
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Just go slow ... I've personally never heard the song, but I find it easier to learn a tough song piece by piece, at a slower rate than actually played. Once the muscles in your fingers are able to almost 'predict' where they will go next, you will be able to play the song faster and faster until it is almost perfect!!
"The road ahead is lined with broken dreams, so walk, just walk on by..."
^well i mean hendrix didn't just throw chords and little licks together...the song is well orchestrated, and i want to try to stay close to that, as opposed to just playing along with chords
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
What tab are you using?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
^
^Well then just memorize the licks he plays, I know what you mean though, like if my bands covering a song, i'll learn the exact notes and stuff but I do improvise alotta the time to when were live and stuff

^theres a tab on UG thats good but some stuff just got confusing so I learned it by ear
Quote by King ofKumbucha
^ I was asking so that I could take a look at the tab and see if it is anygood. Sometimes people try to learn off of poor tabs and it makes the song a lot more difficult than it should be.
Quote by RHCP94
^yea, thats why I dont really use tabs much anymore unless im too lazy to learn it by ear
Quote by King ofKumbucha
its really good to know your theory when learning songs, that way you can recognize the scales/modes, arpeggios/chords, and what key the song is in. If not, all i can tell you is practice. Try playing one measure at a time, then when perfecting it, move on to the next.

of couse like someone mentioned above, a bad tab can just make it harder.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by E Daws
^ I was asking so that I could take a look at the tab and see if it is anygood. Sometimes people try to learn off of poor tabs and it makes the song a lot more difficult than it should be.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jimi_hendrix/castles_made_of_sand_tab.htm

its got good ratings, and what i can play sounds right
Quote by JimmyPageSlash

TOOL ALERT
So do you understand that a lot of it is just of chords with interesting voicing?
Quote by RHCP94
If its really fast, I use powertab or guitar pro. It makes it so much more simpler.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Well I am going to go to sleep, but my closing words to you would to also look at a tab that has a chord chart of the song. Jimi usually just plays certain notes of chords and has little movements from each of them. A good example would to be to look at The Wind Cries Mary. To many it looks like an elaborate difficult song that is beyong them. However if you look closely it is just the A#, C, and F chords being played at different places with little movements from each chord to the next. This makes it easy for you to play your own version that sounds a lot like his as well as learn his version note for note. The same idea carries over to this song. Understand the chord progression and then you will understand where your fingers should be and you will remember more easily the little licks. My only other advice it to listen to the song a lot. If you can hum or whistle the guitar part of the song, then playing it will be a snap because you will have little trouble remembering what to do next. Goodnight and good luck.
Quote by RHCP94