I replaced the strings for the first time today on my newest bass, Fender Standard Jazz, and while I was playing, I noticed that the E string, doesn't lie in the little groove on the nut. It lies just to the (from the top down view) left of the groove. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Quote by jumpmanhat
is this a joke? sorry if you feel that i am mean or something, but thats a no brainer, just tune the string down till you can put it in to the grove.

If I detune it, then it isn't in tune. I realize that I could then mess around with the bridge to tune it after that, but that's a bit ridiculous.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
I think jumpmanhat is saying that you should detune the string and place the string in the nut and then tune it back up making sure it is staying in the right spot.

Sorry but I also have a question about the strings and the nut. I play my friends bass a lot when I'm at his house and when I play hard on the A string the string comes loose from the nut. Is there anyway to make it stay there?
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
See, the string won't stay in the nut, that's the problem. Not that it's just not in there. It won't stay there. At all.