OK, so I was looking around for (what I call) a harmonizer. A pedal that will make my guitar sound, plus another guitar "sound" like an octave, or 5th etc. up. I looked some stuff up on Musician's Friend, and found 11 items. Now, I'm not sure if these pedals only make one sound that is different from my standard tuning. Or if it actually harmonizes it for me (i.e.- sounds like two guitars). Is there such thing as what I'm looking for? Or do these pedals only change my pitch?

Pedals

The descriptions aren't too clear, so any help would be appreciated!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

i think they change the pitch, i've played something like that before, pretty weird
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
I listened to a demo of the Boss PS-5, and it looks like it does what you're asking about.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
you can get an octave pedal which will duplicate ur guitar sound and raise an entire octave (u'll hear ur guitar as it is, and another one playing an octave higher). i'm not sure if there's any that will do it but an octave lower. ?.
u can also get a chorus pedal which will make it sound like there's another guitar playing with u.
or...a delay pedal that u can set to be off by only a fraction of a second to make it sound like there's another guitar playing.

edit: my bad, octave pedals only raise it but don't give u the sound of the normal guitar and the raised one. only one raised guitar.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
OK, so it seems that the Boss PS-5 Shifter Pedal does harmonize. But the reviews say that you need two amps to really make it sound like two guitars. Does anyone know if there is a pedal that will harmonize, and sound good on one amp?
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

it's not true. the boss ps-5 shifter will make it sound like two guitars, it's just that whoever reviewed it was using an overdriven amp. probably the best thing would be to have the pedal in a chain AFTER other effects as having it before will make it sound awkward and bad, especially with distortion.

oh yeah, and the two exits the reviewer talked about were probably "amp" and "mixer"

Quote by evening_crow
it's not true. the boss ps-5 shifter will make it sound like two guitars, it's just that whoever reviewed it was using an overdriven amp. probably the best thing would be to have the pedal in a chain AFTER other effects as having it before will make it sound awkward and bad, especially with distortion.

Well, I use distortion (like Metallica level etc). Will this pedal sound good with distortion if I have it last in line with my effects?

Also, I was looking for something similar to this PS-5, but I want to be able to harmonize like 3rd's and 5th's. Is there anything out there that can do that?
- FJ

i think the mxr bluebox does soemthing like that jimmy page used it you should check it out and see if that really does it, its gotta be good
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
I think that the digitech whammy would be the best, its a pitch shifter and it harmonizes different intervals, but its pretty expensive at 200 USD. You can hear it in almost every rage against the machine or audioslave song